Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: winter is coming...

  1. #1

    Default winter is coming...

    hi.. juz wanna ask.. anyone change ur dslr when out in the winter cold? assuming its not snowing.... any prob that the mirror, lens or sensor will hv prob? meaning maybe condensation and stuff...

    any advice for me if i need to change lens in winter season? or maybe its not advisable for me to change my lens at winter outdoor?

  2. #2

    Default Re: winter is coming...

    you get condensation when moving from cold to warm, so what i do is i keep a large plastic bag in my camera bag and when i go indoors i put the plastic bag around my camera bag and seal it up untill the contents are warm

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    4

    Default Re: winter is coming...

    Is it troublesome to bring the DSLR to winter countries? I am going to winter countries too and consider to bring my DSLR along. Does it get condensation that easily?

    Thanks.
    Live each day with surprises and happiness.

  4. #4

    Default Re: winter is coming...

    so can we still change lens in the winter? Let's say we are already in the outdoors for 1hr then you wanna change lens. Can or not? will condensation take place?

  5. #5

    Default Re: winter is coming...

    yah.. actually i am more concern abt changing lens in the winter outdoor. as for bringing the camera from outdoor to indoor i hv not much prob actually. i din really put inside the plastic bag or bag. juz carry normally in cos the heater in the cafe or hotel are normally not that heaty where condensation will form. since the lens is on the camera there is really little moist air getting into the camera.

    my real concern is that when i change my lens in the winter outdoor.. i literally exposing everthing to the air... if i change my lens.. i will trap the cold air inside the camera... thats where the problem i will find... i hope my concern is undue.. hopefully some experience pple can advice me...

    but i can safely say that so far above 5 degC is ok... europe temperature at this time is like 15 to 21.... no problem at all....

  6. #6
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,394

    Default Re: winter is coming...

    Quote Originally Posted by maximize View Post
    my real concern is that when i change my lens in the winter outdoor.. i literally exposing everthing to the air... if i change my lens.. i will trap the cold air inside the camera... thats where the problem i will find... i hope my concern is undue.. hopefully some experience pple can advice me...
    Unless your camera is weather sealed all the inside is already exposed. Doesn't matter anything if you take off the lens or not. The tiny compartment of mirror chamber cools down within minutes. But that's not the issue. Condensation when coming back to warmer rooms should be your concern.

    Quote Originally Posted by maximize View Post
    but i can safely say that so far above 5 degC is ok... europe temperature at this time is like 15 to 21.... no problem at all....
    In Winter? Maybe in Souther Italy. Rule of thumb: everything North of the Alps has a good chance of getting snow and subzero temperatures.

    Search the forum for the key word 'cold', you'll be surprised how many times this question has been discussed. Lot's of links in the threads for further reading.
    Stop worrying too much, you camera can stand more than you seem to believe. First thing is to check your manual (remember that book?), there is a chapter about "Environmental Conditions".
    Last edited by Octarine; 20th October 2008 at 11:56 AM.

  7. #7

    Default Re: winter is coming...

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Unless your camera is weather sealed all the inside is already exposed. Doesn't matter anything if you take off the lens or not. The tiny compartment of mirror chamber cools down within minutes. But that's not the issue. Condensation when coming back to warmer rooms should be your concern.


    In Winter? Maybe in Souther Italy. Rule of thumb: everything North of the Alps has a good chance of getting snow and subzero temperatures.

    Search the forum for the key word 'cold', you'll be surprised how many times this question has been discussed. Lot's of links in the threads for further reading.
    Stop worrying too much, you camera can stand more than you seem to believe. First thing is to check your manual (remember that book?), there is a chapter about "Environmental Conditions".
    arigato!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •