Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pentax K-m Designers' Notes

Default Re: Pentax K-m Designers' Notes

Guys, we are starting to get OOT.

But since we are at this topic, for the company to progress, I think it makes sense to discontinue the FA 50 and move to DA*. No company can stay in business if it doesn't continuously look at newer products.

Quote Originally Posted by hjbyeo View Post
    Guys, we are starting to get OOT.

But since we are at this topic, for the company to progress, I think it makes sense to discontinue the FA 50 and move to DA*. No company can stay in business if it doesn't continuously look at newer products.
    It makes sense to develop and sell new products, I agree.

But it doesn't to replace a cheap $300+ product with one which will probably cost double(?) - if we go by * lens prices.

The FA50 is a great lens and affordable to almost everyone as a must-have, and is also cited as a reason Pentax is value-for-money. If the same can be said for the DA*55, then I'll eat my words. :P
    Last edited by le petit prince; 10th November 2008 at 12:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by le petit prince View Post
    It makes sense to develop and sell new products, I agree.

But it doesn't to replace a cheap $300+ product with one which will probably cost double(?) - if we go by * lens prices.

The FA50 is a great lens and affordable to almost everyone as a must-have, and is also cited as a reason Pentax is value-for-money. If the same can be said for the DA*55, then I'll eat my words. :P
    No, DA*55 will not be cheap. It's in fact pretty pricy. Most primes aren't cheap anyways.

Cheap and value for money? Kit lens lor ... Or 1 that I know of is the F 35 - 70mm. Small sharp package! Or if it's primes, F 50 1.7 was going around that price in ebay, and still many available from time to time. Even the FA is. Or if you are into manual focus, there are tons on the internet. A recent one being the Cosinon 50 1.2 reported in pentaxforum.

ok ok, i understand where you are coming from, but unfortunately we aren't going to be able to change any decisions from Pentax. Just be on the lookout at BnS, ebay, Pentaxforums and many more around for possible bargains.

Coming back to the topic, K-M coming soon? Looking at the Japanese prices now with Yen going strong, the price is a .
    Last edited by hjbyeo; 10th November 2008 at 09:33 AM.

The high yen is killing Japanese corporate profits in a very big way.
    It is also the reason why there is already a hefty upward price revision for consumer goods in many countries as the yen appreciates against other currencies. Coupled with the global recession, that will put a big damper on sales. Higher prices plus expected weak consumer spending doesn't bode well for many camera makers.

Bottomline: The K-m won't be any much cheaper than the current K200D in my view.

The rumour that the FA 50mm f/1.4 is being discontinued is just rubbish. Some illiterate idiot went to Pentax Canada site and assumed the dates on the legacy equipment page meant the lenses were discontinued when it actually referred to the dates the lenses were introduced.

FA50/1.4 is still in production as far as I know, and you can still get it new easily in JP, HK or Taiwan, or sometimes even some online shops in the US.

DA*55 is more expensive because its better optical quality and built quality. Sometimes you need to pay double or even triple the price for probably 10 to 20% increase in quality.

K-m won't be cheaper than K200D at the moment, and it's confirmed by the sales in JP, US and now in China. This might change later on. On the other hand, it's good time to buy Korean brand/made stuff. Look out on those LG or Samsung TV and some other electronic stuff, they are getting dirty cheaper nowadays

Km kit set arrived in JB last Sat (CLS, Leisure Mall).....RM19xx for single kit....RM25xx for dual kit....

Quote Originally Posted by danst View Post
    Km kit set arrived in JB last Sat (CLS, Leisure Mall).....RM19xx for single kit....RM25xx for dual kit....
    Not much difference from K200D for now? The Malaysian Shriro seems a little more agressive...

Some guy from Japan posted quite some photos taken by the new K-m camera here on flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/h4ck/se...7608417034275/

Some photos look pretty nice.

Quote Originally Posted by fengwei View Post
    On the other hand, it's good time to buy Korean brand/made stuff. Look out on those LG or Samsung TV and some other electronic stuff, they are getting dirty cheaper nowadays
    (Puts hands up...) OT here, I overcame my previous mental block about Korean TVs (crummy experience many, many years back) and just bought an LG 42" Full HD LCD.
    While most Japanese brands and even Samsung have shifted assembly away from their home countries, LG still makes theirs in Korea. Very pleased with the quality and the price.

OT here as well, but if Samsung (and the other major Korean elec giants, up to 40% loss in Q3 earnings) were hurt by this sudden economic crisis, it would still forge its way into DSLRs. They had to cull the weakest division just to protect interests...
    And we bought a goldstar fridge in 1990s, still working fine. A goldstar washing machine, still good.
    "I'm... dreaming... of a wide... angle~
    Just like the ones I used to know~"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12