Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

Thread: Technical vs Creativity

  1. #1

    Default Technical vs Creativity

    Is technicality more important or the creative, artistic idea behind it?

    Do you look more towards the aesthetic, rather than the meaning and concept behind the photo?

    Do you prefer an actual representation of the image in your photos, or the surreal?

    Some thoughts which I've been wondering about...

    Have been looking thru many technically great and beautiful photographs, yet they start to bore me. They just look pretty, but they all look similar to each other, and I do not want that in my photos. Its Just like looking at blondes...If you get what I mean.

    Concept is more important to me as compared to aesthetics. Its like meeting this girl whom you'd overlook coz of her looks, but then deep inside, her inner personality shines.

    I'd analyse photos for the meaning its trying to convey...If its aesthetically pleasing, its a bonus.

    I highly appreciate originality, differences, and a strong concept. I want to see fresh ideas in photos...rather than sticking closely to technicalities. Somehow, Whenever I go for a photo outing, whenever I see photographers all crowding at one spot to take photos from one perspective, I tell myself that's one perspective I'm NEVER gonna take from.

    Are being avant gardes the way to go? Challenging the notions of what's traditionally technical photography...

    Maybe I'm abit individualistic in my photography hobby, but personally, I feel the herd mentality should not be present in photography. I wonder if I'm the only one...

    So what do you guys think?
    Last edited by bluemystery; 18th October 2008 at 10:15 AM.
    Photography takes an instant out of time, altering life by holding it still

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Woody Land
    Posts
    1,743

    Default Re: Technical vs Creativity

    Quote Originally Posted by bluemystery View Post
    ... I feel the herd mentality should not be present in photography. I wonder if I'm the only one...
    IF you find a group of people and hence you are not the only one.. would that make it into a herd mentality too.....

    I'm just kidding...
    It is easier to critique than to create ; www.razin-photography.com
    My studio is available for rent

  3. #3
    Member TheQuestion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    PenguinVille.
    Posts
    1,089

    Default Re: Technical vs Creativity

    tell that to the purists.
    Opinions are like A-holes. Everyone's got one.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Technical vs Creativity

    Like Ying and Yang, a good photographer must strike a balance between the two. I am trained in both technical and creative aspects of photography, but sometimes I find myself lacking in creativity but strong in technicality. Think of creativity as being Ying and technicality as being Yang. I believe that being creative depends highly on the person's mental state and external influences.

    Working in this industry for more than 10 years, I came across art/creative directors who have very innovative ideas but when in comes to executing ideas onto a physical image, it can pose a challenge to them. In this kind of situation, being technical helps.

    Both technical and creativity must co-exist in harmony to compromise each other.
    Last edited by photobum; 18th October 2008 at 12:10 PM.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Technical vs Creativity

    u need both... lack of either u will not be in this profession for long... *thank god i'm not*

    well, there is people who are darn good in the technical aspect, but keep shooting the same kinda pics over and over again... good for jobs like standard catalog product shoot... can replicate the same look over and over again... for creative people then is a misery, cos they can't stand having the same look every single time...

    those who are good in creativity but no skills will keep taking those 'artistic' shots like blurred until dunno what... yes, once in a while ok, nice feel, but will feel the drag, cos you can't improve on the current level... you can shoot in great angles and composition, but if the subject is blurred due to bad control of camera settings... back to square one... useless images...

    i find most of us here belong to the technical level... creativity level... most of them won't be talking here... cos might not be able to get pass the logon screen... lol...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Technical vs Creativity

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    i find most of us here belong to the technical level... creativity level... most of them won't be talking here...
    I agree.

  7. #7
    Member TheQuestion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    PenguinVille.
    Posts
    1,089

    Default Re: Technical vs Creativity

    Quote Originally Posted by photobum View Post
    I agree.
    ya man coz the technical purists here will flame flame flame the creative ones.
    Opinions are like A-holes. Everyone's got one.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Technical vs Creativity

    Quote Originally Posted by TheQuestion View Post
    ya man coz the technical purists here will flame flame flame the creative ones.
    To begin with, the technical purists are too Yang and obnoxious.

    Creative individuals will just stay cool and drink liang teh.
    Last edited by photobum; 18th October 2008 at 12:07 PM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Technical vs Creativity

    Quote Originally Posted by photobum View Post
    To begin with, the technical purists are too Yang and obnoxious.

    Creative individuals will just stay cool and drink liang teh.
    sometimes i wonder... if 'more creative' ppl are more stubborn than 'more technical' ppl or vice versa...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Technical vs Creativity

    haha. Who are the clubsnappers more on the creative side? Let's go drink liang teh together.

    Anyway, I'm still kinda new to some terms. Purists are people strong in technical area I presume...Or simply those take photos always the same one?
    Photography takes an instant out of time, altering life by holding it still

  11. #11

    Default Re: Technical vs Creativity

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    sometimes i wonder... if 'more creative' ppl are more stubborn than 'more technical' ppl or vice versa...
    Lol. One is stubborn to change. The other i stubborn to conform. But sometimes, I feel, you have to challenge stuff only to be able to progress. Like when most people believe the world is flat...and those who challenged the idea that the world is round instead, and kena criticised.
    Photography takes an instant out of time, altering life by holding it still

  12. #12
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: Technical vs Creativity

    People who are creative does not mean they cast their basics of technical handling aside.

    I have seen creative shots with precision technicalities making it an art in every sense.

    I do not confuse creativity with slip shod cheap work. Of course the appreciation of whats beautiful whats not is subjective. A super oof shot with some wierd lighting patterns can be nice to some - but if thats the original intent of the person who made the shot, he probably put in effort to plan the shoot and make it oof, rather than to call it creative / overly process / BnW ( whatever ) after he screwed up the shot he intended to make.

    Ryan

  13. #13
    Member TheQuestion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    PenguinVille.
    Posts
    1,089

    Default Re: Technical vs Creativity

    Quote Originally Posted by bluemystery View Post
    haha. Who are the clubsnappers more on the creative side? Let's go drink liang teh together.

    Anyway, I'm still kinda new to some terms. Purists are people strong in technical area I presume...Or simply those take photos always the same one?
    i give u a hint. the ones who are. dun bother posting here coz they know they dun need praise to validate what they do.
    Opinions are like A-holes. Everyone's got one.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Technical vs Creativity

    Quote Originally Posted by TheQuestion View Post
    i give u a hint. the ones who are. dun bother posting here coz they know they dun need praise to validate what they do.
    Got lah.

    I can see here some creative fundamentalists, creative extremists, creative revolutionaries; creative left wingers, creative elites, creative heartlanders, creative Nikonians, creative Canonians, creative purists, creative spiritualists, creative voyeuerists etc. etc.

    They all wear a different sheep skin.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Technical vs Creativity

    Creativity without execution = hot air
    Technicality without strong content = wall paper.
    Both have their strong points. The right combination of both = Super Ichiban.


    Quote Originally Posted by bluemystery View Post
    Is technicality more important or the creative, artistic idea behind it?

    Do you look more towards the aesthetic, rather than the meaning and concept behind the photo?

    Do you prefer an actual representation of the image in your photos, or the surreal?

    Some thoughts which I've been wondering about...

    Have been looking thru many technically great and beautiful photographs, yet they start to bore me. They just look pretty, but they all look similar to each other, and I do not want that in my photos. Its Just like looking at blondes...If you get what I mean.

    Concept is more important to me as compared to aesthetics. Its like meeting this girl whom you'd overlook coz of her looks, but then deep inside, her inner personality shines.

    I'd analyse photos for the meaning its trying to convey...If its aesthetically pleasing, its a bonus.

    I highly appreciate originality, differences, and a strong concept. I want to see fresh ideas in photos...rather than sticking closely to technicalities. Somehow, Whenever I go for a photo outing, whenever I see photographers all crowding at one spot to take photos from one perspective, I tell myself that's one perspective I'm NEVER gonna take from.

    Are being avant gardes the way to go? Challenging the notions of what's traditionally technical photography...

    Maybe I'm abit individualistic in my photography hobby, but personally, I feel the herd mentality should not be present in photography. I wonder if I'm the only one...

    So what do you guys think?

  16. #16

    Default Re: Technical vs Creativity

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Got lah.

    I can see here some creative fundamentalists, creative extremists, creative revolutionaries; creative left wingers, creative elites, creative heartlanders, creative Nikonians, creative Canonians, creative purists, creative spiritualists, creative voyeuerists etc. etc.

    They all wear a different sheep skin.
    My God, What are all those terms?
    Photography takes an instant out of time, altering life by holding it still

  17. #17
    Member TheQuestion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    PenguinVille.
    Posts
    1,089

    Default Re: Technical vs Creativity

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Got lah.

    I can see here some creative fundamentalists, creative extremists, creative revolutionaries; creative left wingers, creative elites, creative heartlanders, creative Nikonians, creative Canonians, creative purists, creative spiritualists, creative voyeuerists etc. etc.

    They all wear a different sheep skin.
    i also see creative yarnspinners
    Opinions are like A-holes. Everyone's got one.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    493

    Default Re: Technical vs Creativity

    I honestly dont really care for either , as long as I like the final product and am proud of it
    whats the point of taking a photo that everybody likes but you yourself hates it?
    this is assuming of course , that you are not in the photography industry 'cos if you are in and are working for customers , then them liking it matters
    Last edited by Grey Knight; 18th October 2008 at 01:36 PM.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Technical vs Creativity

    Quote Originally Posted by TheQuestion View Post
    i also see creative yarnspinners
    Not to mention the creative questioners.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Technical vs Creativity

    Quote Originally Posted by mattlock View Post
    Creativity without execution = hot air
    Technicality without strong content = wall paper.
    Both have their strong points. The right combination of both = Super Ichiban.
    To some, creative = either blur or nude.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •