Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Mars Watch 2 at Bedok Reservoir

  1. #1

    Default Mars Watch 2 at Bedok Reservoir

    Hi all,

    For the first time in 59,000 years, mars will be closest to us. As such, the Singapore Astronomy group will be organising a mars Watch session at Bedok reservoir on the 23/8/03

    Plenty of scopes will be on display. You can also find out yourself how we use digicam to take astro photos using those scopes.

    More information can be found here:

    http://www.star-matrix.com/MW2003/MW2003.htm

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Starman
    Hi all,

    For the first time in 59,000 years, mars will be closest to us. As such, the Singapore Astronomy group will be organising a mars Watch session at Bedok reservoir on the 23/8/03

    Plenty of scopes will be on display. You can also find out yourself how we use digicam to take astro photos using those scopes.

    More information can be found here:

    http://www.star-matrix.com/MW2003/MW2003.htm
    oh great...that's where i live......
    David Teo
    View my work and blog at http://www.5stonesphoto.com/blog

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    South Pole with Penguin
    Posts
    5,270

    Default

    so u will be there?

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dawn
    oh great...that's where i live......
    Near Damai?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    WAT? WAN TO STALK MI AH? LOLZ
    Posts
    1,916

    Default

    might need a Canon T Mount with telezoom..?
    correct mi if im wrg

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    South Pole with Penguin
    Posts
    5,270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RuthBaby
    might need a Canon T Mount with telezoom..?
    correct mi if im wrg
    completely wrong

    just joking...

    if u use T-mount, u no need any camera lens, u just mount your camera and use the telescope like your lens

    but for planets, magnification not big enough if u do that...so what i do is to mount my 10D + 50mm/1.8 ABOVE the telescope eyepiece

    no T-mount required

  7. #7
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Kitten's Den
    Posts
    733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wai
    completely wrong

    if u use T-mount, u no need any camera lens, u just mount your camera and use the telescope like your lens

    but for planets, magnification not big enough if u do that...so what i do is to mount my 10D + 50mm/1.8 ABOVE the telescope eyepiece

    no T-mount required
    Depends, some setup will use a eyepiece with a t-mount thread (or with a t-mount adaptor) + a t-ring to filter thread + lens adaptor.

    Or another way I am trying is T-adaptor with eyepiece inside + t-ring to filter thread adaptor.

    Must qualify this is for digicam with build in lens.
    Won't bother with this if I am using SLR (or DSLR for that matter)

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by es0teric
    Near Damai?
    Hi

    hee yes....very near
    David Teo
    View my work and blog at http://www.5stonesphoto.com/blog

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wai
    so u will be there?
    yup i can make it..... but wun be there at 7:30 though...... probably can only join in later.... till wat time does the session last?
    David Teo
    View my work and blog at http://www.5stonesphoto.com/blog

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dawn
    Hi

    hee yes....very near
    Haha, I was from that school 4 years ago.

  11. #11

    Default

    Do we have to queue?

  12. #12
    Member Retro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    East Wing, Dungeon #8
    Posts
    342

    Default

    I am kinda new to all this, but am interested to catch a glimsp of Mars too! Just how much of it will be seen with the naked eye? Some people have told me that it is just like another disc next to the moon ..... true/false? So far all I have seen is a bright red/orange star near the moon from Lucky Heights area.

    Can someone enlighten me

  13. #13
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Kitten's Den
    Posts
    733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Retro
    I am kinda new to all this, but am interested to catch a glimsp of Mars too! Just how much of it will be seen with the naked eye? Some people have told me that it is just like another disc next to the moon ..... true/false? So far all I have seen is a bright red/orange star near the moon from Lucky Heights area.
    Erm, with the naked eyes, that's about as good as you'll see.
    In fact with a 7x50 bino or even my 33x90 scope, it is hardly any bigger.

    But with a bigger scope you can reach something in the 150-300x,
    then you should see something more interesting.

    Take a look at the following shot :
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=42795

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Northwest
    Posts
    5,011

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frisky
    Erm, with the naked eyes, that's about as good as you'll see.
    In fact with a 7x50 bino or even my 33x90 scope, it is hardly any bigger.

    But with a bigger scope you can reach something in the 150-300x,
    then you should see something more interesting.

    Take a look at the following shot :
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=42795
    This is what I managed to capture using CP995 + DCL28 + 3X Barlows + Meade ETX90. Single exposure of 1/8 sec at ISO 200. Camera at maximum zoom and f/5.1.



    Will be trying on a 4.5" and 8" reflectors next week. Hopefully can get better image.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    HOME
    Posts
    306

    Default

    Maybe the experience photographers here can post picture of their equipment, instead just saying T here T there? reflect here reflect there? I have seen some setup in other threads, but since there is a question about equipment here and some of you posted your reply (only in text), maybe it will help if you then just post the setup pict.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Northwest
    Posts
    5,011

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pcwe68
    Maybe the experience photographers here can post picture of their equipment, instead just saying T here T there? reflect here reflect there? I have seen some setup in other threads, but since there is a question about equipment here and some of you posted your reply (only in text), maybe it will help if you then just post the setup pict.
    You can see my setup here:
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=42348

    but that is mounted with a DSLR instead of the CP995.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pcwe68
    instead just saying T here T there? reflect here reflect there?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •