Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2008 FORMULA 1 SINOPEC CHINESE GRAND PRIX. (19 Oct.)

Default Re: 2008 FORMULA 1 SINOPEC CHINESE GRAND PRIX. (19 Oct.)

Quote Originally Posted by Canew View Post
    Good to see you back Bro. But try to re-kindle the F1 flame la...
    thanks bro. my best memories of F1 are from the schumi - mika rivalry. i only started watching f1 since the second half of '96 and it used to so exciting. schumi was the rain master, a genius in using backmarkers by overtaking them at strategic portions of the circuit and placing them between him and his rivals. he would drive on wet sections of the circuit on a drying circuit, to cool his tyres. he had several such tricks to make an under-par car perform beyond the capability of an ordinary mortal. he was the genius who would make the impossible into a sure-win. i cried a lot when his engine <and not tyre as typed earlier> blew in japan in his last season. just one more world championship, just one more. if there is a God, how cruel can he be ?

there have been moments when he was beaten fair and square - both on the track and away from it - by Mika. And that made Mika so much special to me. Do you remember this breathtaking move by Mika on Schumi at Spa in 2000, by going on the inside of backmarker Zonta and overtaking him and Schumi and cutting in the apex of the corner ? Do a search for Schumi Mika Zonta or Spa 2000 in youtube and you will find videos from every possible angle. I am sure Zonta didn't know where to go !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYYRqFZ2tVY

Even the post-race interviews used to be a classic act to watch. In one such interview, Mika was asked what would he do different in the race. This is how the conversation went :

Mika: "The only thing I will change is that in every corner I will try to brake three metres later."
    Schumacher: "If he brakes three metres later, I will brake five metres later."
    Mika: "See you in the gravel."

All Schumacher could reply to that comment was a lame "We'll meet together!"

i have customized tshirts with Schumi's magic all over them. Got new ones printed every time I went to watch a race live.

Tell me bro, how can I recreate that magic in F1 now ? Which of these current crop of drivers deserves to be a world champion ? Look at the cars, the drivers and the obnoxious money that is made - all in the name of entertainment from this superb sport. Does it warrant a S$1400 ticket for a first corner view, for an inaugural race in Singapore ? If you want to popularize a sport, you should make it affordable to the common man. But who the hell cares ? Make as much money as possible. Greed - there has to be a limit to it, but unfortunately there isn't any.

Whatever lah, I hope next year I will watch this sport closely and contribute more to the threads you create for every race, without fail. Even though I haven't written much in your threads, I've always come back to read the friendly banter amongst us crazy F1 fans
    Last edited by asterixsg; 21st October 2008 at 02:44 AM.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt....

Quote Originally Posted by asterixsg View Post
    thanks bro. my best memories of F1 are from the schumi - mika rivalry. i only started watching f1 since the second half of '96 and it used to so exciting. schumi was the rain master, a genius in using backmarkers by overtaking them at strategic portions of the circuit and placing them between him and his rivals. he would drive on wet sections of the circuit on a drying circuit, to cool his tyres. he had several such tricks to make an under-par car perform beyond the capability of an ordinary mortal. he was the genius who would make the impossible into a sure-win. i cried a lot when his engine <and not tyre as typed earlier> blew in japan in his last season. just one more world championship, just one more. if there is a God, how cruel can he be ?

there have been moments when he was beaten fair and square - both on the track and away from it - by Mika. And that made Mika so much special to me. Do you remember this breathtaking move by Mika on Schumi at Spa in 2000, by going on the inside of backmarker Zonta and overtaking him and Schumi and cutting in the apex of the corner ? Do a search for Schumi Mika Zonta or Spa 2000 in youtube and you will find videos from every possible angle. I am sure Zonta didn't know where to go !!!

Even the post-race interviews used to be a classic act to watch. In one such interview, Mika was asked what would he do different in the race. This is how the conversation went :

Mika: "The only thing I will change is that in every corner I will try to brake three metres later."

i have customized tshirts with Schumi's magic all over them. Got new ones printed every time I went to watch a race live.

Tell me bro, how can I recreate that magic in F1 now ? Which of these current crop of drivers deserves to be a world champion ? Look at the cars, the drivers and the obnoxious money that is made - all in the name of entertainment from this superb sport. Does it warrant a S$1400 ticket for a first corner view, for an inaugural race in Singapore ? If you want to popularize a sport, you should make it affordable to the common man. But who the hell cares ? Make as much money as possible. Greed - there has to be a limit to it, but unfortunately there isn't any.

Whatever lah, I hope next year I will watch this sport closely and contribute more to the threads you create for every race, without fail. Even though I haven't written much in your threads, I've always come back to read the friendly banter amongst us crazy F1 fans
    Yea, none of the current crop of drivers can match the skills and excitement created by Schumi when he races. I have been following Schumi ever since he races for Benetton and was converted into a Ferrari fan when he transferred over to Ferrari. It was very disappointing when Schumi failed to win one more championship due to a failed engine.

Well, hope to see bro Asterix around in these threads more often. The races may be getting boring, but our friendly banter here is always good for a laugh
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

guys, any plans of watching the brazil gp live somewhere ? do you know if singapore pools will show it live ?
    hehe... since the race is at the wee hours of morning... don't know if singapore pools will show it live. even if it does, wonder how many will turn up
    Mythbusters - the bigger the explosion, the better it is.

Quote Originally Posted by mohgui View Post
    hehe... since the race is at the wee hours of morning... don't know if singapore pools will show it live. even if it does, wonder how many will turn up
    Most probably I will record it down and watch it when I wake up. Can't go without my beauty sleep

I've always come back to read the friendly banter amongst us crazy F1 fans
    Good to hear that, asterixsg.

\
    ..Does it warrant a S$1400 ticket for a first corner view, for an inaugural race in Singapore ? If you want to popularize a sport, you should make it affordable to the common man. But who the hell cares ? Make as much money as possible. Greed - there has to be a limit to it, but unfortunately there isn't any.

But formula1 is always expensive. Take a look at places like Japan and across Europe. Their main straight tickets are about the same here. Except Melbourne 2009 the main straight is going for around 460 Australian dollars. Their first corner is around 600 AUD.

In Malaysia, the s/f straight also around 1700RM.

I think the important point would be not to shoot our organisers for the high prices, but instead to compare to other f1 events and decide if you can afford the luxury.

But then again, even if you have $1400 turn 1 tickets doesnt make you a rich person (in fact you become poorer) because there are the paddock club people who are richer! The bottom line is, f1 live track viewing is always for the rich and very rich.

Quote Originally Posted by lioneldude View Post
    The bottom line is, f1 live track viewing is always for the rich and very rich.
    not true leh... the poor can also have good live track viewing. just be a volunteer

Ahh those are the times but I understand your point. I started watching F1 as a kid, even before football in my pri days back in late 80s. In those days, I know nothing except the red Ferraris and the Marlboro McLaren. When Aryton died, I got disinterested with F1 till I pick it up again in the late 90s. I believe 1 day you will be back watching F1 But I dun think your break will be as long as mine! About 5-6 years of no F1..... when Damien Hill won, I dunno who he was! After that, I began to pick up the sport again.
    Last edited by afbug; 22nd October 2008 at 01:24 AM.

But formula1 is always expensive. Take a look at places like Japan and across Europe. Their main straight tickets are about the same here. Except Melbourne 2009 the main straight is going for around 460 Australian dollars. Their first corner is around 600 AUD.

In Malaysia, the s/f straight also around 1700RM.

I think the important point would be not to shoot our organisers for the high prices, but instead to compare to other f1 events and decide if you can afford the luxury.

But then again, even if you have $1400 turn 1 tickets doesnt make you a rich person (in fact you become poorer) because there are the paddock club people who are richer! The bottom line is, f1 live track viewing is always for the rich and very rich.
    I've seen the Malaysian GP at F stand (which was crappy, my 1st time ever, so had no idea...) and K (1st corner, facing the end of the start finish line) grandstands. Don't think I ever paid anything close to even a thousand Singapore dollars. Think the max was US$400-500.

I've seen the Shanghai GP from the main grandstand opposite the Ferrari and McLaren garages and bang in front of the podium, and from the B5 Grandstand (facing the end of the start finish line and the pit lane exit). I got the tickets at a discount through a friend of mine, but the official price was RMB 3500 (around S$700).

And these are specially built circuits, not a street circuit.

I don't think you can compare prices across the board - cost of living in Japan and Singapore is way off. Similarly, in Europe as well.

Its not that I cannot afford S$1400 for a 1st corner seat. Its just that I couldn't justify that price and I decided not to contribute in any way to fill the organizer's pocket. I went on a holiday with that money, and guess what ? I saw the Singapore GP in the comfort of a nice guesthouse in Delhi. :-)

Ever since Starhub upped the Sports Channel subscription to 26 bucks or something like that, I terminated the subscription. I only watched F1 and no other sport actively. It didn't make sense to me to pay that subscription. Had Schumi been racing, I would've probably cursed Starhub and paid the money. But now I am happy that I can get a 6 pack of Corona and some munchies with that spare cash.

Whatever, F1 has lost a bit of charm (at least for me). I am sure there will be kids growing up with the sport now and they would enjoy the driving styles of Hamilton or and Alonso. And life goes on...
    Last edited by asterixsg; 22nd October 2008 at 02:16 AM.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt....

Quote Originally Posted by afbug View Post
    Ahh those are the times but I understand your point. I started watching F1 as a kid, even before football in my pri days back in late 80s. In those days, I know nothing except the red Ferraris and the Marlboro McLaren. When Aryton died, I got disinterested with F1 till I pick it up again in the late 90s. I believe 1 day you will be back watching F1 But I dun think your break will be as long as mine! About 5-6 years of no F1..... when Damien Hill won, I dunno who he was! After that, I began to pick up the sport again.
    That's some loyalty to F1. Happy for you, bro

I too hope one day I'll find a driver who will rekindle the flame that Schumi had ignited (and also hope that my favourite team Ferrari puts all their stupid blunders that they did in 2007 and 2008, behind).

All the best to all of you who will be cheering for your favourite driver(s) for the last race. I won't be cheering for anyone, I just hope for breathtaking overtaking and wheel to wheel banging - like they say "Aggressive, but fair" and some cool pitstop strategies and maybe I will enjoy the sport in a different way.

Cheers...

not true leh... the poor can also have good live track viewing. just be a volunteer

ha ha. i will never forget bro Canew that he was the first marshal to restart the Singapore GP. That will go into my record books.

All of you who volunteered for the Singapore F1 GP are heroes in my heart. You are the truest fans of Formula1.

Quote Originally Posted by afbug View Post
    hehe... same here. i started watching F1 during the times of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell, Aryton Senna and Nelson Piquet. I can still remember that Mansell's number 5 is always red in colour.

after a while, i gave up F1 for no apparent reason and switched to watching MotoGP. during those years, i was crazily supporting the Marlboro Yamaha team where Eddie Lawson was my hero. once he went into retirement... i lost interest in this sport.

and guess what... i switched back to F1 and Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro and Schumi became my favorite. ever since then, i've stucked to watching F1 and i hope this will stay forever.

ha ha. i will never forget bro Canew that he was the first marshal to restart the Singapore GP. That will go into my record books.

All of you who volunteered for the Singapore F1 GP are heroes in my heart. You are the truest fans of Formula1.
    thanks bro. looking forward to next year's Singapore GP.

Glad to hear that you are still reading our postings, Bro!

hehe... same here. i started watching F1 during the times of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell, Aryton Senna and Nelson Piquet. I can still remember that Mansell's number 5 is always red in colour.

after a while, i gave up F1 for no apparent reason and switched to watching MotoGP. during those years, i was crazily supporting the Marlboro Yamaha team where Eddie Lawson was my hero. once he went into retirement... i lost interest in this sport.

and guess what... i switched back to F1 and Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro and Schumi became my favorite. ever since then, i've stucked to watching F1 and i hope this will stay forever.
    Looks like we started watching F1 around the same time.

Its not that I cannot afford S$1400 for a 1st corner seat. Its just that I couldn't justify that price and I decided not to contribute in any way to fill the organizer's pocket. I went on a holiday with that money, and guess what ? I saw the Singapore GP in the comfort of a nice guesthouse in Delhi. :-)
    Well i agree that the $1400 price for s/f straight, turns 1, 2 and 3 are abit pricey and not worth its price. I guess perhaps the organizers would set different prices, like:

where pole position and opposite ferrari garage ~ 1400;
    the rest of s/f straight ~ 1100
    Turn 1 1200
    Turn 2 1000
    Turn 3 800

The thing that disturbed me was...

But there was a segregation of the very rich from the rest at the race this year. Behind turn 3, there was the famous F1 Villlage, which was only available to ticket holders of s/f str, turns 1,2, and 3 and paddock club holders. The rest of ticket holders were barred from going to the F1 Village.

Note they were selling merchandise at the Padang, but that was more of ghost town and muddy field area. That wasnt F1 Village because i certainly didnt see any F1 Village signs.

Hey bro asterixsg, how are the F1 Villages at the circuits you've been to? Are there any preventions which certain ticket holders weren't allowed to enter?

well that comes with hours of pre-event training and sweat. But 1 good thing as a volunteer, you can get autographs from drivers! I saw a bunch of Chinese GP marshals in pitlane asking for signatures while he walked into pitlane. He even signed on one of the marshal's Tabard.

Well i agree that the $1400 price for s/f straight, turns 1, 2 and 3 are abit pricey and not worth its price. I guess perhaps the organizers would set different prices, like:

where pole position and opposite ferrari garage ~ 1400;
    the rest of s/f straight ~ 1100
    Turn 1 1200
    Turn 2 1000
    Turn 3 800

The thing that disturbed me was...

But there was a segregation of the very rich from the rest at the race this year. Behind turn 3, there was the famous F1 Villlage, which was only available to ticket holders of s/f str, turns 1,2, and 3 and paddock club holders. The rest of ticket holders were barred from going to the F1 Village.

Note they were selling merchandise at the Padang, but that was more of ghost town and muddy field area. That wasnt F1 Village because i certainly didnt see any F1 Village signs.

Hey bro asterixsg, how are the F1 Villages at the circuits you've been to? Are there any preventions which certain ticket holders weren't allowed to enter?

sorry, missed this post.

in Sepang and Shanghai, the F1 village is open to all. No restrictions, whatsoever. If you are patient enough, you will even bump into the Grid girls, as they parade up and down. All the car manufacturers setup booths, their own merchandise stalls and they do have shows, lucky draws etc. to attract audience. its like a carnival. really fun (though in Sepang, it can be searing hot...). Some companies will even get their drivers to come into their stalls for an autograph session etc., so that the general public can have a glimpse of their favourite drivers...

There is also a Paddock club, an area that is meant only for the people who have access to the hospitality suites and access to the pitlane.

Cheers

sorry, missed this post.

in Sepang and Shanghai, the F1 village is open to all. No restrictions, whatsoever. If you are patient enough, you will even bump into the Grid girls, as they parade up and down. All the car manufacturers setup booths, their own merchandise stalls and they do have shows, lucky draws etc. to attract audience. its like a carnival. really fun (though in Sepang, it can be searing hot...). Some companies will even get their drivers to come into their stalls for an autograph session etc., so that the general public can have a glimpse of their favourite drivers...

There is also a Paddock club, an area that is meant only for the people who have access to the hospitality suites and access to the pitlane.

Cheers
    Thanks man! This was the most disappointing point of the Singapore GP! I really hated them for placing F1 Village at Turn 3.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123