View Poll Results: Do you get / have intention to get insurance for your camera investment?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES OF COURSE!

    18 37.50%
  • NO, NO NEED TO

    21 43.75%
  • INDECISIVE

    5 10.42%
  • WAITING for this thread before deciding

    4 8.33%
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Insurance for your camera investment

  1. #1

    Default Insurance for your camera investment

    Hey anyone buy insurance for your camera investment and if you do
    why and who did you approach for that. Cause am thinking of doing
    that so in case of theft / fire etc your investment is covered and so
    the insurance company will pay you.

  2. #2
    Senior Member ricleo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Eastern Singapore
    Posts
    6,549

    Default Re: Insurance for your camera investment

    i have not bought insurance specifically for my canon gear, but my opinion pertains mainly to travel insurance to cover theft though.

    reason for not buying is because travel insurance usually sees the entire set of gear (lens body flash etc) as a complete set of gear instead of individual items? so you can only claim for the entire set as 1 item up to the maximum of the insurance limit, which is like 500-1000 per item (item meaning whole set!). 500-1000 is nothing compared to the cost of my entire set of gear...perhaps only enough to pay for 1 lens.
    A7R3|V12|V15|FE28|MS17|MS35|MS50|50lux|50C|50Artis an|FD85L|FE85|90 cron|
    Σ24|35L|Σ50|135L|70-200G2

  3. #3

    Default Re: Insurance for your camera investment

    no i dont think i would buy insurance. to me equipment spoil/stolen/etc doesnt matter

    my photos if lost/stolen/etc. that wan can really jump building bang balls

  4. #4

    Default Re: Insurance for your camera investment

    Quote Originally Posted by ricleo View Post
    i have not bought insurance specifically for my canon gear, but my opinion pertains mainly to travel insurance to cover theft though.

    reason for not buying is because travel insurance usually sees the entire set of gear (lens body flash etc) as a complete set of gear instead of individual items? so you can only claim for the entire set as 1 item up to the maximum of the insurance limit, which is like 500-1000 per item (item meaning whole set!). 500-1000 is nothing compared to the cost of my entire set of gear...perhaps only enough to pay for 1 lens.

    Agree with you the travel insurance thing is nothing when we want to ensure that
    our precious is not stolen / lost etc.
    Was talking to my insurance agent he did mention to me that their home protection
    plan thing will cover my equipment provided I declare them as "luxury items". Will be
    meeting him later for him to give me an evaluation and see how much I need to pay
    more for my premium if I want them covered properly. He did mentioned to me also that
    when I do "declare", these items will be covered in full ???!!! (Will verify that later)
    But the thing is I need to justify it will original receipts / invoice.

    But if their coverage is in full based on my receipt then we sure "earn" one I think.
    Imagine we buy one D300 now 2100 for example but when I got it was like 2800
    then insurance company will pay me back 2800??? This I really wonder honestly.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Insurance for your camera investment

    Quote Originally Posted by Raied View Post
    no i dont think i would buy insurance. to me equipment spoil/stolen/etc doesnt matter

    my photos if lost/stolen/etc. that wan can really jump building bang balls
    Hmmmm CONFIDENTIAL photos?

  6. #6
    Member terryansimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Quahog, Rhode Island
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: Insurance for your camera investment

    mine are covered under my home contents insurance. so is my laptop. and because my provider allows me to be covered for loss even if the theft does not occur at home, it's quite a good deal actually. yearly premiums for it is quite affordable too.

    take note, it's for Australia (RACV if anybody is interested).
    chicken fight!

  7. #7

    Default Re: Insurance for your camera investment

    Just talked to my insurance agent in which he recommended a home
    insurance protection plan thing. The funny thing is I really have to
    declare my luxury items that needed to be insured under their
    "scheduled item" So basically to insure my eqpt of about $8400
    worth plus my home contents etc etc I'm paying around $500 per
    year for premium. Not bad actually. Luxury item i'm paying about
    161 or something. So for those who are looking for home insurance
    also then can look into that if not, then a bit troublesome.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Insurance for your camera investment

    Quote Originally Posted by woojacky View Post
    Hmmmm CONFIDENTIAL photos?
    no la, i treasure my photos very much.

    equipment can always buy/find/steal whatever

    photo and memories bway sai

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    392

    Default Re: Insurance for your camera investment

    Quote Originally Posted by woojacky View Post
    Just talked to my insurance agent in which he recommended a home
    insurance protection plan thing. The funny thing is I really have to
    declare my luxury items that needed to be insured under their
    "scheduled item" So basically to insure my eqpt of about $8400
    worth plus my home contents etc etc I'm paying around $500 per
    year for premium. Not bad actually. Luxury item i'm paying about
    161 or something. So for those who are looking for home insurance
    also then can look into that if not, then a bit troublesome.
    which insurer is that?
    5D MKII,1000D,16-35mm f/2.8 L USMII,75-300mm,18-55mm,EF 50mm f/1.8 II,EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

  10. #10

    Default Re: Insurance for your camera investment

    Quote Originally Posted by cqprime View Post
    which insurer is that?
    I got from AIA.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Up North......
    Posts
    624

    Default Re: Insurance for your camera investment

    Quote Originally Posted by woojacky View Post
    Agree with you the travel insurance thing is nothing when we want to ensure that
    our precious is not stolen / lost etc.
    Was talking to my insurance agent he did mention to me that their home protection
    plan thing will cover my equipment provided I declare them as "luxury items". Will be
    meeting him later for him to give me an evaluation and see how much I need to pay
    more for my premium if I want them covered properly. He did mentioned to me also that
    when I do "declare", these items will be covered in full ???!!! (Will verify that later)
    But the thing is I need to justify it will original receipts / invoice.

    But if their coverage is in full based on my receipt then we sure "earn" one I think.
    Imagine we buy one D300 now 2100 for example but when I got it was like 2800
    then insurance company will pay me back 2800??? This I really wonder honestly.

    Insurance will compensate u with the same equipment at that time of value, i.e. which ever is lower. I think they only pay a percentage (think was 80%). So if now new D300 is $2.1k, and your camera u bought was about 1 year, based on current price fo $2.1k, your 1 yr old cam should be say $1.9k.... 80% woul would be ~$1.5k. Check with your agent see if this is true..... cheers!
    D300|35mm f/2|85mm f/1.4|18-200 mm VR|17-55mm f/2.8 |70-300 F4-5.6|Tok 11-16 f/2.8|SB800|MB-D10|

  12. #12

    Default Re: Insurance for your camera investment

    Quote Originally Posted by smalltake View Post
    Insurance will compensate u with the same equipment at that time of value, i.e. which ever is lower. I think they only pay a percentage (think was 80%). So if now new D300 is $2.1k, and your camera u bought was about 1 year, based on current price fo $2.1k, your 1 yr old cam should be say $1.9k.... 80% woul would be ~$1.5k. Check with your agent see if this is true..... cheers!
    true this sounds more logical to their business sense.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    392

    Default Re: Insurance for your camera investment

    My GE agent told me the home content insurance will give a blanket cover of whole house content value, and consider in depreciation too.
    5D MKII,1000D,16-35mm f/2.8 L USMII,75-300mm,18-55mm,EF 50mm f/1.8 II,EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

  14. #14

    Default Re: Insurance for your camera investment

    My travel insurance has covered mine. Broke mine recently and got money back from the insurers. Just gotta purchase the camera now.
    Running for conservation and ACRES. Donate at http://www.acres.org.sg/donate.html

  15. #15

    Default Re: Insurance for your camera investment

    Quote Originally Posted by cqprime View Post
    My GE agent told me the home content insurance will give a blanket cover of whole house content value, and consider in depreciation too.
    But would that mean computers / camera / Hi-fi etc etc
    Cause at least from AIA perspective it's considered "luxury items"

  16. #16

    Default Re: Insurance for your camera investment

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Ice View Post
    My travel insurance has covered mine. Broke mine recently and got money back from the insurers. Just gotta purchase the camera now.
    I heard 5D is out. else if you're a nikon user go for D3x ! hehe

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    392

    Default Re: Insurance for your camera investment

    Quote Originally Posted by woojacky View Post
    But would that mean computers / camera / Hi-fi etc etc
    Cause at least from AIA perspective it's considered "luxury items"
    sian mine is GE home care and i feel lazy to change it...i wonder why not clubsnap negotiate a insurance contract for all the CS people here whom is keen to insure from theft, fire and accidental damage ?
    5D MKII,1000D,16-35mm f/2.8 L USMII,75-300mm,18-55mm,EF 50mm f/1.8 II,EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

  18. #18

    Default Re: Insurance for your camera investment

    Quote Originally Posted by cqprime View Post
    sian mine is GE home care and i feel lazy to change it...i wonder why not clubsnap negotiate a insurance contract for all the CS people here whom is keen to insure from theft, fire and accidental damage ?
    well as you can see from the poll, a major of the people who bothered to
    click said NO. maybe everyone think it's an extra hassle to buy insurance
    for things like camera. or maybe everyone in CS are employed by NGC
    so all get free Canon 5Ds

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    392

    Default Re: Insurance for your camera investment

    Quote Originally Posted by woojacky View Post
    well as you can see from the poll, a major of the people who bothered to
    click said NO. maybe everyone think it's an extra hassle to buy insurance
    for things like camera. or maybe everyone in CS are employed by NGC
    so all get free Canon 5Ds
    True,

    my camera body is only 1k but the lens are expensive...thats how the manufacturer make money from us....buy buy buy lens lens lens LOL

    so insuring the lens more important in my opinion
    5D MKII,1000D,16-35mm f/2.8 L USMII,75-300mm,18-55mm,EF 50mm f/1.8 II,EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •