Thread: Photoshop help!

Default Photoshop help!

Hey Guys,

I have a pic with bright background with a silhouette object. How do I increase the contrast of the object without overexposing the bright background? I have tried but unsuccessful. Any help/tips here is greatly appreciated... Thanks..

Quote Originally Posted by tokrot
    Hey Guys,

I have a pic with bright background with a silhouette object. How do I increase the contrast of the object without overexposing the bright background? I have tried but unsuccessful. Any help/tips here is greatly appreciated... Thanks..
    That's tough,

I'll use either the lasso tool or the pen tool to make a selection on the silhouette object, then adjust the contrast, leaving the bright area untouched.

Any other inputs?

use your adjustment layers tool on the layers palette to make the changes you need for the image then use the paint brush to mask out the areas you don't want affected.

increase the brightness of the whole picture using the usual method of levels, curves or brightness and contrast...

the whole picture will be brighter and some might be burnt
    the trick here is to go to the original picture use the history brush tool, (after selecting the levels adjustment) and paint over the original.

the history that you have selected will be brushed over the original.
    result, highlights remain the same, and the dark spots will be more exposed.

Thanks everyone for his kind reply and help..!

Quote Originally Posted by showtime
    increase the brightness of the whole picture using the usual method of levels, curves or brightness and contrast...

the whole picture will be brighter and some might be burnt
    the trick here is to go to the original picture use the history brush tool, (after selecting the levels adjustment) and paint over the original.

the history that you have selected will be brushed over the original.
    result, highlights remain the same, and the dark spots will be more exposed.

Btw appreciate if you can tell me in details becoz I am sort of newbie in PS7. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by tokrot
    Thanks everyone for his kind reply and help..!

Btw appreciate if you can tell me in details becoz I am sort of newbie in PS7. Thanks!
    er how shall i put it ar? haha
    1. can you find the history brush tool?
    2. do you know how to change overall brightness of the pic?
    3. you will need to locate the history box which lists all the steps that you have done to the picture in order.

once that is done, you should be able to follow...
    if i got better way of explaing it to you, i will try...

Quote Originally Posted by showtime
    er how shall i put it ar? haha
    1. can you find the history brush tool?
    2. do you know how to change overall brightness of the pic?
    3. you will need to locate the history box which lists all the steps that you have done to the picture in order.

once that is done, you should be able to follow...
    if i got better way of explaing it to you, i will try...
    1) Yes, I know that
    2) Yes, I know that too
    3) Is the layer history? under the menu "window" ==> "layers" right?

Thanks!