Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 36 of 36

Thread: Sound Card Advise

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    127

    Default Re: Sound Card Advise

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post
    Page 21 of the user manual.....your mobo only support 2.1

    http://asia.msi.com.tw/index.php?fun...30&type=manual
    wah... sad...
    Seems like I've got no choice but to get a sound card.
    Which 1 of those 3 sound card should I get?
    Btw, can my mainboard support?
    Canon EOS 40D | Canon Powershot S5 IS

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    127

    Default Re: Sound Card Advise

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post
    If you look at your backplane...the 2 holes to the right of blue and green are still sealed...unless the goondoo who setup your PC forgot to remove it...chances are...yours are only 2.1.

    Out of curiosity...maybe you can tell us what model is your motherboard? The 5.1 or 6.1 probably require an external decoder as I notice there is a RCA SPIF out....so still cannot go direct to your Creative speaker

    Yes, you need a new soundcard.....alternative is to change your motherboard
    Btw, you were saying about an external decoder.
    What decoder is that?
    Is it better to get an external decoder or sound card?
    Canon EOS 40D | Canon Powershot S5 IS

  3. #23
    Senior Member Big Kahuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    2,127

    Default Re: Sound Card Advise

    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoia08 View Post
    wah... sad...
    Seems like I've got no choice but to get a sound card.
    Which 1 of those 3 sound card should I get?
    Btw, can my mainboard support?
    This is very subjective....depending how deep your pocket is and what is your expectation on PC audio.....for me....any al~cheapo <$50 multi channel soundcard will do since I don't really game a lot or watch movie in my PC

    Your motherboard support only PCI so make sure you get that correctly.

    Actually seeing the way you wrote.....I guess you are not really DIY savvy...do you know how to disable the on-board sound chip? If not, my advice to you is to status quo(wait till you change PC next time) unless you have any friend who can help you....adding a sound card can be lottery sometime.....most of the time it is plug and play....but I have seen driver screw up....you need to edit registry or tweak the bios to get them detected.....in fact my bro's MSI 965GV also encounter the on board Azzalia driver screw up....everytime after boot up.....it will just scan indefinately for the audio jack....can't remember how I solved it liao but it was definately a challenge
    Last edited by Big Kahuna; 16th October 2008 at 12:49 PM.

  4. #24
    Senior Member Big Kahuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    2,127

    Default Re: Sound Card Advise

    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoia08 View Post
    Btw, you were saying about an external decoder.
    What decoder is that?
    Is it better to get an external decoder or sound card?
    Generally this is refering to those home theather receiver

  5. #25
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Sound Card Advise

    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoia08 View Post
    wah... sad...
    Seems like I've got no choice but to get a sound card.
    Which 1 of those 3 sound card should I get?
    Btw, can my mainboard support?
    The truth of the matter is if you were even half as serious watching movies, listening to music and playing games on your PC, all built-in audio add-on hardware on motherboards (even the most reputable branded ones) are a waste of time. This add-on feture trend is just marketing BS or for people with almost no or barely any need to hear music or sound on their PC. (that to a great extend including those built-in SVGA display card hardware)

    Depending on how old your PC is, computation of sound is becoming almost as demanding as 3D graphic rendering. Without a dedicated card, it will just slow everything on your PC down to a crawl or you will see sign of audio distortion, cut-offs..etc. Same goes for graphics too when you start to see jerky slow frame rates..etc. That is because this built-in hardware will be stealing clock cycle from your CPU, muscling for RAM Space, bandwidth throwing data bits back and forth..etc. And if you are really into gaming, running 3D sound from a built-in audio hardware will slow your game further or kills it. On older motherboards with slower CPU, playing music while you work on your PC can result in slow down and hiccups with your audio playback even. Driving the audio of a 2.1 setup can already be pretty demanding but to drive a 5.1 you got to have that little bit more. Thus I always ignore the built-in audio harware.

    Digital outputs are actually alot better for audio playback to get you the best sound reproduction driving anything from 2 way speakers system right up to the 7.1 setups for sure. The next best thing would be the analog RCA sockets or audio mini jack ( in and out ) like the photo shown earlier. A lot also depend on how picky you are with audio reproduction. The Creative line is pretty decent and the few mentioned here are good picks. External decoders are a great boost for sure but how important or picky is your hearing? If you are serious enough about it and have the dough...go for it heheh.

    How are you set-up for using a 5.1 speakers system to begin with? You have your PC set up like your home entertainment system in the living room where you have the space to place all those spaker system, or is your PC on your work desk in your bedroom for example where you might have limited space to arrange your 5.1 speakers. Unless you take the trouble to set it up in a proper room to experience full 3D sound....getting 5.1 speakers system and audio card for that might be over kill.

    Ya...Kahuna is right to remind you to make sure you buy the right card with the interface socket that fits your motherboard. There are those that use the newer PCI express. Most older motherboards ( in the last 1-2 yrs) usually has only one and that is normally taken up by your more important SVGA graphic card heh. There are some newer and better performing gamming motherboard that comes with more then 1 but that just mean you have to plop out more cash to change your rig.
    Last edited by sammy888; 16th October 2008 at 01:15 PM.

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    127

    Default Re: Sound Card Advise

    Gurus... Thank you guys for your reply..
    Basically I just need a sound card that can support my 5.1 speakers.
    Don't have to been fantastic or what, coz I don't do multimedia or what..
    Just want 1 for watching movies..

    Mine is in my bed room, with 2 rear speakers attached to the wall.
    Quite a small room though.

    By the way, is sound card really necessary or just the speakers are good enough?

    Also, MSI replied my email.

    "Dear Kelvin Ong,

    Thank you for contacting MSI technical support!

    For your concern,865PE Neo2-V is 6 channels software audio codec ALC655 supported.And alc655 does support 5.1 channel.

    Please connect front speakers to green port,rear speakers to the blue port,while centre speaker & subwoofer are connected to the red one.For Pink,please check whether it could work normally without connecting.

    Sorry for any inconvenience.

    Best regards,
    MSI technical support team "

    Canon EOS 40D | Canon Powershot S5 IS

  7. #27
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Sound Card Advise

    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoia08 View Post
    Gurus... Thank you guys for your reply..
    Basically I just need a sound card that can support my 5.1 speakers.
    Don't have to been fantastic or what, coz I don't do multimedia or what..
    Just want 1 for watching movies..

    Mine is in my bed room, with 2 rear speakers attached to the wall.
    Quite a small room though.

    By the way, is sound card really necessary or just the speakers are good enough?

    Also, MSI replied my email.

    "Dear Kelvin Ong,

    Thank you for contacting MSI technical support!

    For your concern,865PE Neo2-V is 6 channels software audio codec ALC655 supported.And alc655 does support 5.1 channel.

    Please connect front speakers to green port,rear speakers to the blue port,while centre speaker & subwoofer are connected to the red one.For Pink,please check whether it could work normally without connecting.

    Sorry for any inconvenience.

    Best regards,
    MSI technical support team "


    Given the new information by the technician that wrote you, I would hold off all purchases for now and test out their instruction to you on your built in audio card. I notice you mentioned you already have a 5.1 speaker system ..so no need to buy that too. heh

    The only thing you might need to make sure you have is your motherboard's driver for your audio card...that is if you need to. If you have not installed the setting already for 5.1 then you might need to install it just so you can get all 3 plugs to work in that "formation" Because by default those 3 sockets they mentioned was suppose to work as Audio in, Line and maybe Microphone out. But when you want to use it in 5.1, a driver might and some setting change will need to take place in order to "rewire" it to use it in 5.1 formation....if you know what I mean.

    And once set up ...try out a few movies, then listen to some music and then pick the kind of computer games you normally play and see if you like what you presently have. heheh.. Keep the BBB away till you tested it out. The idea is to run as much hardcore stuff on the built-in card to see if there is an performace hits you have to take when you drive it in full 5.1.

    Personally..in my room I stuck with the 2.1 for all my gaming, music and movies. And if I want to get better sound for my movies I just hook it up to my real AR speakers, External Denon AV Amp, Sansui equaliser and tweak the heck out of it and listen from that instead of using my default 2.1 Sonic Gear A5 which for a cheapy $100 brand 2.1 speaker system, it sounds pretty freaking good on my X-fi extreme. When you are doing all that in a small bed room (150sq feet like mine) even average price brand stuff are not too bad. But hey...if only the best is good enough..then the sky is the limit for sure.
    Last edited by sammy888; 16th October 2008 at 05:57 PM.

  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    127

    Default Re: Sound Card Advise

    Hehe....
    I did not listen to the technician though...
    I went to SLS last night, the only sound card that my mainboard can support is Sound Blaster 5.1 VX.

    It's quite cheap though.. So I just buy it just to support my 5.1 speaker for the time being.

    BUT!!! I'm not sure what went wrong again.

    I connect my Inspire T6200 to my Sound Blaster 5.1 VX .


    1) I disbled my on board sound card in BIOS.
    2) I installed the sound card to my mainboard and installed the software.
    3) I used the software provided by creative to test the speakers.
    4) I attached the pins of the speakers to my sound card as followed:-

    Green Pin to Green Hole
    Black Pin to Black Hole
    Orange Pin to Orange Hole
    Pink Pin(attached with wired remote) - Not sure where to attach.
    **Also left the blue hole of the sound card empty**

    5) Front left and Front right speakers are correct,

    When tested for Rear left/right and Centre speaker,

    all sound came out from the subwoofer.

    What went wrong again?
    Canon EOS 40D | Canon Powershot S5 IS

  9. #29
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Sound Card Advise

    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoia08 View Post
    Hehe....
    I did not listen to the technician though...
    I went to SLS last night, the only sound card that my mainboard can support is Sound Blaster 5.1 VX.

    It's quite cheap though.. So I just buy it just to support my 5.1 speaker for the time being.

    BUT!!! I'm not sure what went wrong again.

    I connect my Inspire T6200 to my Sound Blaster 5.1 VX .


    1) I disbled my on board sound card in BIOS.
    2) I installed the sound card to my mainboard and installed the software.
    3) I used the software provided by creative to test the speakers.
    4) I attached the pins of the speakers to my sound card as followed:-

    Green Pin to Green Hole
    Black Pin to Black Hole
    Orange Pin to Orange Hole
    Pink Pin(attached with wired remote) - Not sure where to attach.
    **Also left the blue hole of the sound card empty**

    5) Front left and Front right speakers are correct,

    When tested for Rear left/right and Centre speaker,

    all sound came out from the subwoofer.

    What went wrong again?
    That is a pretty decent card lah heheh... You can get pretty good sound from it.

    Okay about your problem....individual volume control? Have you double click the volume icon that might be appearing on the bottom right corner of your screen to bring up the volume setting to see if you have preset the volume level or have disable any output signal?

    Are you running the test mode that is part of your creative driver/program? It lets you select or run a series of test through all the speakers to see if you can hear them and aid you with placement of the speakers.

  10. #30

    Default Re: Sound Card Advise

    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoia08 View Post
    Hi all....

    I'm planning to get a sound card. I'm not a pro in choosing soundcard..
    Choosing between 3.

    1) Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio

    2) Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer

    3) Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium

    I've been comparing this 3.. But still not sure which is more worth it.
    Budget wise, something around this 3...
    Hope to hear your opinions and advises.

    Thanks so much!!!
    Am using a Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium and it works fine for me when on movie and gaming mode.

  11. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    127

    Default Re: Sound Card Advise

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    That is a pretty decent card lah heheh... You can get pretty good sound from it.

    Okay about your problem....individual volume control? Have you double click the volume icon that might be appearing on the bottom right corner of your screen to bring up the volume setting to see if you have preset the volume level or have disable any output signal?

    Are you running the test mode that is part of your creative driver/program? It lets you select or run a series of test through all the speakers to see if you can hear them and aid you with placement of the speakers.
    Ya, I'm using that program..
    Disable output signal? You mean the "Digital Out Only" need to be unchecked?
    I've not check if it's check or uncheck... Will check later when I get back.
    But it's weird that even the sound from the rear right, rear left and centre came out from the subwoofer..
    Or did I connect the pins wrongly?
    Canon EOS 40D | Canon Powershot S5 IS

  12. #32
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Sound Card Advise

    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoia08 View Post
    Ya, I'm using that program..
    Disable output signal? You mean the "Digital Out Only" need to be unchecked?
    I've not check if it's check or uncheck... Will check later when I get back.
    But it's weird that even the sound from the rear right, rear left and centre came out from the subwoofer..
    Or did I connect the pins wrongly?
    POKE AROUND LOR heheheheheh.....

    The subwoofer will always have sound coming out of it...silly reply I know...what I mean is...the sub woofer's sound is OMNI present means you can put it anywhere in the room and it still sound balance where you sit to watch. All the sound you heard from all the other 4 speakers will have the lowest range of tone or it produced over at the subwoofer speaker..that's what I mean..if that does not confuse you more heheh.

    In any case if you have ENABLE Digital out only in your driver setting...you will not even hear sound from the basic right and left speaker or woofer. You can't have both the analog and digital mode switched on for use at the same time. As far all my old and new Creative sound cards are concern.

    You might also check to see if you have choosen 5.1 setting too. If the sound card driver in your control panel is still set to 2.1 or 2 or headphone..eg.. that could be why you can not get the two rear speaker to "fire up" You have to enable it. This is because as you know..if in 2.1 mode, the other 2,3 or4 in or out put sockets at the sound card is meant for other things like LINE in, Microphone, AUX 1..etc. By selecting 5.1 you change the role of those jacks to driver a 5.1 speaker setup. So check your sound system selection in your control panel for sound too.
    Last edited by sammy888; 17th October 2008 at 05:21 PM.

  13. #33
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Sound Card Advise



    Okay I am at my office and I don't have my creative sound in my stingy office PC but you get the picture more or less. Did you set it to the right speaker configuration. As you can see from this sound card setting when I click my sound setting in control panel I get to select various speaker config...so the right setting will change the way your card will work with those few sockets at the back of your sound card.

  14. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    127

    Default Re: Sound Card Advise

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post


    Okay I am at my office and I don't have my creative sound in my stingy office PC but you get the picture more or less. Did you set it to the right speaker configuration. As you can see from this sound card setting when I click my sound setting in control panel I get to select various speaker config...so the right setting will change the way your card will work with those few sockets at the back of your sound card.
    Ya, I've changed it to 5.1 already.
    But it's still the same...
    Canon EOS 40D | Canon Powershot S5 IS

  15. #35

  16. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    127

    Default Re: Sound Card Advise

    Bros..
    I think I know what's wrong already...
    It's because on the wired remote, there's a switch to on/off "upmix".
    When it is switched on, the sound came out from only 2 front left and right speaker.
    When it is off, the sound came out individually from each of the speaker..

    So happy!!

    Thanks for so many help!!
    Canon EOS 40D | Canon Powershot S5 IS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •