Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cable to trigger flash off the camera

Default Re: cable to trigger flash off the camera

Quote Originally Posted by flipfreak View Post
    u can't use ettl with pocket wizards.
    Ok, my fault. Thanks for correcting.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    5 meter is not very long, if you able to buy it, of course it is usable.

not working? maybe your flash is too weak.....
    connect 2 cables together can?

I don't use cables on hotshoe flash or hammer flash, but mostly on studio flash.
    so I can only tell you that length is not an issue on studio flash, however, that was long long time ago, those studio flash I use don't have IR sensor, and at the time the IR or radio triggers are very expensive.

those sync cables are very unreliable, always have contact problems or broken wires, need to bring two backup cables for one working cable when go on location shooting. and I have repaired countless sync cables over the years.

maybe your usage are not that high, so won't have much issue, using cables can be slightly cheaper.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by fz30_user View Post
    errmm.. sorry what "shoe" is that?? is that the plastic thing to keep the 430ex standing up?
    Yup, yup. So that if you can put on its shoe, it can stand on its own or mount on tripod.

hmmm... so far from what i garner, cheap wireless triggers are those radio transmitters bro flipfreak is referring to am I right? So its disadvantage to the canon OC-E3 is that it cannot perform ETTL right? hmm.. To tell the truth i was really put off by the cost of the OC-E3 (was quoted $109 by CP-M) when i expected a seemingly simple cord to cost not more than $30... ST-E2 is definitely a really good device going by the reviews but I don't find the point investing in one since i wont be shooting multiple flash units... I'm seriously exploring getting the cheap radio transmitters mentioned in rebellion to Canon's extravagantly priced cord.. I see some brand names popping out like pocketwizard and this PT-04 wireless transmitter (http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...mera+Shoe+Cord)

Just wondering if bros can advice me on which would be worth looking into since I only want to take my flash off within short distances (mostly for directional light). I'm pretty conflicted between getting a second hand canon off shoe camera cord or getting the radio transmitter.
    Shoot with your heart, not for greed/ego..

Apologies to TS if you feel that its hijacking your thread, but i thought this advice might benefit the both of us too =] Cheers!
    Shoot with your heart, not for greed/ego..

Quote Originally Posted by Deming86 View Post
    hmmm... so far from what i garner, cheap wireless triggers are those radio transmitters bro flipfreak is referring to am I right? So its disadvantage to the canon OC-E3 is that it cannot perform ETTL right? hmm.. To tell the truth i was really put off by the cost of the OC-E3 (was quoted $109 by CP-M) when i expected a seemingly simple cord to cost not more than $30... ST-E2 is definitely a really good device going by the reviews but I don't find the point investing in one since i wont be shooting multiple flash units... I'm seriously exploring getting the cheap radio transmitters mentioned in rebellion to Canon's extravagantly priced cord.. I see some brand names popping out like pocketwizard and this PT-04 wireless transmitter (http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...mera+Shoe+Cord)

Just wondering if bros can advice me on which would be worth looking into since I only want to take my flash off within short distances (mostly for directional light). I'm pretty conflicted between getting a second hand canon off shoe camera cord or getting the radio transmitter.
    just buy whatever you can afford, such comment is unnecessary, you pay for what you get, R&D, functions, quality, reliability of the products all cost money.

Btw, you have not see the price tags of pocketwizard or quantum radio trigger yet.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Go to Ruby Photo at Peninsula Shopping Centre and ask for the cheap china made radio triggers $100 for a set of transmitter/receiver. extra receivers can be had for $50. Fellow CS members have vouched for its performance. Next best may be Aline Bees Cybersyncs - about twice the price and have to order from US. Said to be best value and performance right now. Everything else will cost more. BTW purely manual for both, no E-TTL. What do ya expect?

Quote Originally Posted by Deming86 View Post
    Apologies to TS if you feel that its hijacking your thread, but i thought this advice might benefit the both of us too =] Cheers!
    no problem at all... the more the merrier

so which one did you get? i'll probably just go for the PT-04

Sorry for reviving an old thread (not very old actually)....

Would like to know if these PC cords, PC Sync cables, off-shoe cords (I believe they are all the same thing) are all them common for all brands of camera systems?

I mean like if the cord is for Canon, will it be usable to Nikon or Sony? Haven'y seen the PC Sync socket for canon or nikon so i can't really tell.
    |SonyA700|T180mmf3.5|M70-210mmf4|S30mmf1.4|T17-50mmf2.8|T90mmf2.8|M5600hsdX2|

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12