Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cable to trigger flash off the camera

Default cable to trigger flash off the camera

Hi Guys,

Not sure of there is such thing because so far I've seen people talking about the wireless trigger for flash. I don't want to invest too much money so I want to try first using a cable to trigger my flash around 2-3m away from the cam. Any idea if there exist a cable and around how much? And I like to DIY so if anyone can point me to a place where to buy the flash shoe of the camera and flash terminal I can connect it myself using some wire.

TIA.

Default Re: cable to trigger flash off the camera

yup. u can use a offshoe sync cord to trigger it with wire but its not really alot cheaper to do that.

http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?o...6%20PC%20Cords

something from here will work.
    Last edited by flipfreak; 13th October 2008 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fz30_user View Post
    Not sure of there is such thing because so far I've seen people talking about the wireless trigger for flash. I don't want to invest too much money so I want to try first using a cable to trigger my flash around 2-3m away from the cam. Any idea if there exist a cable and around how much? And I like to DIY so if anyone can point me to a place where to buy the flash shoe of the camera and flash terminal I can connect it myself using some wire.
    It's called off-shoe cord. But it's not cheap, Canon is about SGD 70.00 if I'm not wrong and it's only half meter size. You can easily extend by cutting the cable and inserting additional cable (Cat5) and 6-pin plugs / coupler. By this you will still have full ETTL.
    Cheap wireless triggers are about SGD 40 but no ETTL, you need manual adjustments. Canon original triggers and Pocket Wizards allow full ETTL but cost much more.
    If anybody knows where to get flash shoe and terminal I'd be happy to warm up my soldering iron.
    Last edited by Octarine; 13th October 2008 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    It's called off-shoe cord. But it's not cheap, Canon is about SGD 70.00 if I'm not wrong and it's only half meter size. You can easily extend by cutting the cable and inserting additional cable (Cat5) and 6-pin plugs / coupler. By this you will still have full ETTL.
    Cheap wireless triggers are about SGD 40 but no ETTL, you need manual adjustments. Canon original triggers and Pocket Wizards allow full ETTL but cost much more.
    If anybody knows where to get flash shoe and terminal I'd be happy to warm up my soldering iron.
    u can't use ettl with pocket wizards.

Thanks for the quick reply..

What do you guys mean by not really cheaper using the sync cord? This is compared to the wireless trigger?

btw, I'm using 400D + 430EX.

the cost of the cables not much cheaper than using radio triggers.

If budget allows and if you need to do this often enough, I suggest the Canon Speedlite Transmitter ST2E (probably around $280). Pop this small unit on your camera, and setup the flash as a slave and fire away. It really gives you the freedom of movement, and not to mentioned the fully configurable settings of your flash.

Quote Originally Posted by flipfreak View Post
    oh really? any idea how much the canon wireless trigger cost? it should be the safest and most idiot-proof for me right (since i'm a canon user)?

the a/m post state the price already.

the a/m post state the price already.
    Thanks guys for all the information

sync cable as in compare to cheap radio trigger
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    sync cable as in compare to cheap radio trigger
    i understand that if the cables are too long, they dont work too?

Sorry to bother you guys again.. while reading the reviews for ST-E2 I've came across with pocketwizard and radiopopper as alternatives. Are there other alternatives I can look at? And what specific feature I should look out for? So far they say the ST-E2 infrared is a turn-off when use outdoors.

Btw, What are you guys you using?

Thanks.

i understand that if the cables are too long, they dont work too?
    how long is long?

anyway, cables are not reliable mostly is contact issue, beside, copper wires can brake inside the cable without any visible sign from the exterior.

Sorry to bother you guys again.. while reading the reviews for ST-E2 I've came across with pocketwizard and radiopopper as alternatives. Are there other alternatives I can look at? And what specific feature I should look out for? So far they say the ST-E2 infrared is a turn-off when use outdoors.

Thanks.
    if it is IR signal, it will work well in confine indoor areas, outdoor or big open indoor areas need radio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    how long is long?

anyway, cables are not reliable mostly is contact issue, beside, copper wires can brake inside the cable without any visible sign from the exterior.
    5m?

5m?
    5 meter is not very long, if you able to buy it, of course it is usable.

not working? maybe your flash is too weak.....

Thanks.
    Hi, I don't have any major issues with ST-2E so far, indoors and outdoors. I think it all depends on the surrounding environment. The only thing you must take note of is that the ST-2E works on the basis of line of sight for the IR. The 2 items must be "aligned" to "see" each other; having said this, I had shot with the slave flash not too far behind me, and it still works!

btw, the 430EX's body can be rotated around to achieve line of sight with the camera. I hope that you have not thrown away the "shoe" of your 430EX...

Smile Re: cable to trigger flash off the camera

most syc cable i know is about 3m length. it is about the length ts mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInMacro View Post
    btw, the 430EX's body can be rotated around to achieve line of sight with the camera. I hope that you have not thrown away the "shoe" of your 430EX...
    errmm.. sorry what "shoe" is that?? is that the plastic thing to keep the 430ex standing up?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast