Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Copyright Mark for events photo

vince123123
    Guests

Default Re: Copyright Mark for events photo

I find it difficult to understand how they can argue that you have taken the event's pictures without permission when they are the ones who asked the TS to go and take photos.

Besides, even if they somehow manage to succeed in proving that the photos were taken without permission, there is nothing that they can do to the TS. There is no cause of action just because photographs were taken without permission.

Quote Originally Posted by chynakym View Post
    Well.....if you are so afraid that someone is going to use your photo to profit from your work, I suggest you do not volunteer for the shoot unless you are paid. If you're doing it as a favour, while the copyright of that shot technically belongs to you, they can also argue that you have taken the event's pictures without their permission. Since it is a favour to your girlfriend, just keep it that way and bless them with the shots. It's not worth it to have a row with your girlfriend discussing about copyright and your artistic contribution etc etc.

My point here is this.

1. It's most likely the girlfriend that volunteers his services to the organiser knowing that he is an avid photographer.
    2. The girlfriend then asked the TS her boyfriend for a favour.
    3. The organiser would probably assume that it is for free and without restrictions.

You can choose to say yes or no. If you say yes, then I would think there is some give and take here. If you slap them with all these restrictions on what they can do and what they cannot do with the pictures, the eventual result is the organiser may get pissed which result in the girlfriend being embarassed and then the TS will get a earful from her...heheh.

Remember, we are not talking about the organiser asking the TS directly. The request is from his girlfriend unless I read it wrongly. Therefore in such case, we cannot bring in legality and your rights. We are talking about potential silent treatment, cold shoulder..etc, etc. The choice is yours. You weigh the consequences...heheheh.

hmm i thought it be best to copyright it and if they wish to print it then maybe you can send them the original with no watermark , no ??

Put yourself in the organiser position. Here is someone willing to shoot the event for free...happiness! Then he comes up after the events with watermark across the pictures because it is the creative talent that he is protecting....bummer! I am pretty sure if they knew that, they would probably ask anyone of their members to bring any digital camera and shoot everything and anything that moves. Remember, if the event is that important, they will engage a paid shoot.

If it's the general opinion of the TS that even though his services are free, his creative work needs to be protected then it is best to tell them before he agrees to shoot the event. It is up to the organiser to decide if they would still consider engaging his services or seek alternative arrangements thereafter. The bottom line is if the TS values his creative contributions, it is best not to accept this job, citing busy schedules etc rather than incur the wrath of the other half if you know what I mean.
    Last edited by chynakym; 23rd October 2008 at 11:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by takeshi.lum View Post
    its my gf's music camp. i was asked by the committee to take photos of the activites.

but i suppose they wun take it for commercial purpose but if they indeed do, what can i do?
    Dude.. it's your girlfriend's music camp for crying out loud. Go ahead and do all those little thing like watermark and acknowledgement... see how small you appear infront of everyone.

The best way to look at this is put yourself in your girlfriend's shoes. (That's if you value her opinion in this). You ask her to take photos for your company dinner, and she comes out with some agreement and makes your company adhere to a long list of terms. Then starts whining about how your company may use the photos for commercial reasons. How will you feel?

Even reputable stock image companies run the risk of having people pirate their photos. i.e. Designer A buys the image.. and shares it with designer B. How are you going to track all that?

If you wanna do it as a favor... then don't think too much about ownership.

If you wanna charge.. then have some good faith in the person or just be happy selling it at a price you deem reasonable. Otherwise you're gonna end up losing sleep everynight over all the events you covered, all the photoshoots you've done and how your photos may be used by someone else!

thanks for all ur suggestions, i have given the organisers the full album, except those photos which the subject requested not to include in it.

the terms i have given is just to acknowledge the works and thats all. this should should be sufficient and reasonable.

as for getting their own members to take photos, i actually requested to have another photographer to be present so there can be more photos of different subjects because they are having concurrent activities. they can indeed take photos but it would not be the same as mine as they dun have the right skills or gear. although my skills are not that fantastic, at least there are some nicer shots.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    I find it difficult to understand how they can argue that you have taken the event's pictures without permission when they are the ones who asked the TS to go and take photos.

Besides, even if they somehow manage to succeed in proving that the photos were taken without permission, there is nothing that they can do to the TS. There is no cause of action just because photographs were taken without permission.
    it is actually the organisers asked my GF to ask if i can be there to take their photographs. i had agreed because i was looking for chances to practice.

Quote Originally Posted by darkroom View Post
    Dude.. it's your girlfriend's music camp for crying out loud. Go ahead and do all those little thing like watermark and acknowledgement... see how small you appear infront of everyone.

The best way to look at this is put yourself in your girlfriend's shoes. (That's if you value her opinion in this). You ask her to take photos for your company dinner, and she comes out with some agreement and makes your company adhere to a long list of terms. Then starts whining about how your company may use the photos for commercial reasons. How will you feel?

Even reputable stock image companies run the risk of having people pirate their photos. i.e. Designer A buys the image.. and shares it with designer B. How are you going to track all that?

If you wanna do it as a favor... then don't think too much about ownership.

If you wanna charge.. then have some good faith in the person or just be happy selling it at a price you deem reasonable. Otherwise you're gonna end up losing sleep everynight over all the events you covered, all the photoshoots you've done and how your photos may be used by someone else!
    Very good point made here. It's just a music camp, how much can they even sell the photos for even if they want to? Just take the oppotunity to practice shooting, and bless them with your works afterwards. Be thankful if your shots turned out well enough to be sold, and I'm sure people won't be ungrateful and claim credit for themselves for the photos shot.
    Footprints Photography - Providing photography and videography services

Quote Originally Posted by darkroom View Post
    i have to second this. what the heck were you thinking, man? lol!
    if i'm your GF and you set all these "rules" on your photographs, i think i'd minus points on you liao!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12