Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Copyright Mark for events photo

Default Copyright Mark for events photo

Hi,

Do you guys put down ur copyright watermark on those photos which u r giving to the client?

Thanks!

Default Re: Copyright Mark for events photo

No. He paid for it. It belongs to him.

but lets say helping a fren taking photos but did not accept any money?

btw, the photographer still has the copyright to the photographs right?

Quote Originally Posted by takeshi.lum View Post

I think you have to ask yourself:

If your friend helps you to take photos and later he gives you the photos and all the photos all have his watermark, how would you feel if you later want to print the photos for your friends/relatives etc?

Friends? What kind of friend? Close and trusted type? If trust, why need watermark. If you don't trust, watermark wherever you like.

Imagine once photo reach ya "friend's" hand and he/she used it for commercial usage and claimed is his/her work. As an "official" owner of the photo, what can you really do?
    Nothing? IMHO.
    450D + AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD + Phottix Batt Grip

what event is tat ?
    why are shooting ?
    how is he/she related to you?

Person who commissions has the copyright, no?

If he said something like, you take photos for me, I buy you lunch in exchange.....
    Meow!

its my gf's music camp. i was asked by the committee to take photos of the activites.

but i suppose they wun take it for commercial purpose but if they indeed do, what can i do?

its my gf's music camp. i was asked by the committee to take photos of the activites.

but i suppose they wun take it for commercial purpose but if they indeed do, what can i do?
    how about having an agreement with them in black and white?
    D800 | D700|16mm f2.8D|35 f1.4G|50 f1.8G|60mm F2.8D|85mm f1.4G|16-35 f4G|70-200 f2.8 VR2| SB900

actually i had written a copyright file in there and asked them to read.

they can publish the photos w/o my permission in sch's publications n personal use but with acknowledgements to me.

what i am afraid is they will distribute the photos to the participants and the participants will not follow. i hav trust with the committee.

vince123123
    Guests

See the other thread on where I have discussed free shoots and their impact on the commissioning.

Quote Originally Posted by GavinTing View Post
    Person who commissions has the copyright, no?

If he said something like, you take photos for me, I buy you lunch in exchange.....
    I suspect a lot of people here do not have a full understanding of commissioning and the like, and merely repeat the vague idea without fully understanding the intricacies.

Of course, in this case, if a lunch was given in return for the photographs, that may constitute commissioned work.

vince123123
    Guests

In such a case, the participants are the ones in breach of your copyright (if assuming it belongs to you in the first place).

The organisers will have breached the terms of the license that you have granted to them, if they had given them to parties you had not authorised.

actually i had written a copyright file in there and asked them to read.

they can publish the photos w/o my permission in sch's publications n personal use but with acknowledgements to me.

what i am afraid is they will distribute the photos to the participants and the participants will not follow. i hav trust with the committee.

so if the participants want them, they have to get it from me?

or i can authorised the organise to give the participants their individual n grp shots?

i m only afraid that they take those "artistic" photos n post it as their own.

maybe you should ask yourself if all this is worth the trouble...are you making money from your pictures? will you suffer a loss of income, damage to your reputation, or anything bad if the photos were distributed without your approval?

if no, then don't think so much lah. sure, copyright is important and all, but i think we should pick our battles to fight. your opinion may be different of course.
    ((=
    www.colouredshots.com
    Kodak film disposable camera

i dun think the participants will make me suffer a loss of income, damage to your reputation or anything bad. unless they r using my photos to make money lor.

but i dun like the idea of my work being used without acknowledgements or even for business without me knowing it. although the photos i taken isnt that nice but i dun like dun like it being misused.

i dun think the participants will make me suffer a loss of income, damage to your reputation or anything bad. unless they r using my photos to make money lor.

but i dun like the idea of my work being used without acknowledgements or even for business without me knowing it. although the photos i taken isnt that nice but i dun like dun like it being misused.

vince123123
    Guests

Well if you're the copyright holder, you can do it any way you please.

so if the participants want them, they have to get it from me?

or i can authorised the organise to give the participants their individual n grp shots?

i m only afraid that they take those "artistic" photos n post it as their own.

You have to understand something in life.
    If you want to fight for the right all the way, it will cost you a lot of time and $$$ to achieve it.
    Have you read the news recently for a guy spend $12,000 and 1 year just to prove himself innocent from speeding and a $100 summon.
    If you have the time and money, go ahead by all means to fight the case. Now not only you can fight the case with the organiser and also the participants who actually make use of your photo for commercial usage.
    If you don't want or can't afford the time and money, Just close your eyes and tell yourself. Nothing have happened and today is a great day!

Good luck!
    450D + AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD + Phottix Batt Grip

I add small copyright watermark with url of my site on all my photos before publish it in the web. But if I try to sell images, I add big transparent or emboss watermarks,For batching, I use Batch Watermark Creator to do that.what about you?guys.

Well.....if you are so afraid that someone is going to use your photo to profit from your work, I suggest you do not volunteer for the shoot unless you are paid. If you're doing it as a favour, while the copyright of that shot technically belongs to you, they can also argue that you have taken the event's pictures without their permission. Since it is a favour to your girlfriend, just keep it that way and bless them with the shots. It's not worth it to have a row with your girlfriend discussing about copyright and your artistic contribution etc etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast