Thread: Do you have a foreign spouse ? need yur advice.

Default Do you have a foreign spouse ? need yur advice.

My first post!

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post, I hope I can find advice on from you.

I would like to marry a Foreigner and I would like to hear advice from those
    who have a foreign spouse. Well, looking through the web, there seems to be
    quite a few obstacles laid out that I might have to go through.

I know a marriage does not guarantee PR, let alone citizenship for her. It
    really is a pain.

My wife to be is a filipino, a graduate from a recognised university, and
    works in a foreign bank in the philippines as a relationship manager.

Some queries

Could you tell me how was it like for you to marry a foreign spouse ?

#1: DId she come over on a short term visa to ROM ?

#2: Now I cant buy a HDB, because after ROM, she is still not a PR.
    How did you work this out ? I would prefer to already have a house
    when she comes over. Private is not affordable for me.

#3: If the moment after I ROM, I apply for PR, how long would she get it ?

#4: SHe cant work without PR status, which will be difficult for our finances.
    If PR takes 1year to get, then it would be quite difficult. How did you cope ?
    Is there a work around, like employment pass or something ?
    SHould she come over on employment pass before the marriage to find work first ?

I hope to get good advice from you, I really want it to be painless for her.
    AFterall, she is giving up everything to come here.

Thanks for reading!!

Default Re: Do you have a foreign spouse ? need yur advice.

i have no experience. frankly speaking, with her qualification, she is qualified for PR. how long she can get PR, also depends greatly on how much you earn or your stable your job is

Good to meet someone u loved.

ROM in sginapore, and every few months will extend her passport for a period of time. sooner or later, they will give PR. it's said that during her first year, she can't work in sg.

got baby, easier to get PR..
    Last edited by dreaming; 12th October 2008 at 11:39 AM.

Why not have her come to Singapore on a working visa so she can still keep working and just get married in Philippines first.

when the situation is better for her to to get a PR (ie, you can afford for her to not work for awhile), then register the marriage here in Singapore and then apply for the PR?

Besides by not registering the marriage here in Singapore, you will also not have to put up with all the rubbish in the women's charter.

from someone who is married to a foreigner.

Marriage is separate from the PR issue. From the no of filipinos here, there is no need to worry about PR. She should get a PEP first and find employment, once she stays long enough she can be a PR.

oh and sorry, just to answer your question

1. you can sponsor her for a long term social visit pass good for 6 months. she can ROM on just about any visa.

2. we don't plan on buying in singapore because prices here are so crazy even for hdb, so cant help you there. but the alternativbe could also be for you to co-buy with your parents maybe?

3. how long depends on quite a few variables including the country she is from, her qualifications, but generally not terribly hard or long to get PR through marriage. probably one of the fastest ways to get it. i think my friend recently took about 6 months or so to complete everything.

4. my wife came, got a job here first, got an employment pass and then we got married.

Quote Originally Posted by stiggy View Post

Some queries

Could you tell me how was it like for you to marry a foreign spouse ?

#1: DId she come over on a short term visa to ROM ?

She doesn't have to come to Singapore so soon. First, you need to register your marriage online at the ROM website. She only needs to come to Singapore on the day of the ROM but should be able to do so earlier as a visitor she can get a 30-day visa-free stay here.

#2: Now I cant buy a HDB, because after ROM, she is still not a PR.
    How did you work this out ? I would prefer to already have a house
    when she comes over. Private is not affordable for me.

Despite she not being a PR, after marriage, you can still buy a HDB flat under your name and have your wife registered as one of the occupants. It is advisable to consult HDB on this.

#3: If the moment after I ROM, I apply for PR, how long would she get it ?

No, she can't apply for a PR immediately after ROM. She needs to stay here for about between 6 monts to a year before she can do so. However, immediately after ROM, you can apply for a long term social visit pass for her to stay here. Usually, the pass is valid for a year and renewable.

#4: SHe cant work without PR status, which will be difficult for our finances.
    If PR takes 1year to get, then it would be quite difficult. How did you cope ?
    Is there a work around, like employment pass or something ?
    SHould she come over on employment pass before the marriage to find work first ?

Yes, before marriage, on her own, she can find a job here. The type of pass, employment pass, S pass or work permit, depends largely on the pay that the prospective company is paying her. Nowadays, unlike before, foreign workers working here no longer needs MOM's approval to marry a local. Assuming that your wife-to-be comes here and get married to you, before she gets her PR and while on a long term social visit pass, she is also allowed to get a job here but her job status is still considered a foreign worker if she is able to do so.

I hope to get good advice from you, I really want it to be painless for her.
    AFterall, she is giving up everything to come here.

Thanks for reading!!
    This is what I know as I have gone thru all these. Hope it helps.

Last edited by redstorm; 12th October 2008 at 12:37 PM.

Are you a Singaporean or PR? I just had a look at the ICA website and she is eligible if she meets one of these conditions.

- Spouse and unmarried children (below 21 years old) of a Singapore Citizen (SC)/Permanent Resident (SPR)
    - Aged parents of a Singapore Citizen
    - P, Q or S work pass holders
    - Investors/Entrepreneurs

http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=151&secid=150

Hi my wife is from India, I'm a Singaporean, I went over to India to get engaged and married. My Wife got a SG PR even though she's not working here. If you are a graduate and have a salary above about $3k, your wife should not have a problem getting a PR even if even she is unemployed here.