Thread: Spot metering

Default Spot metering

Having so used the Nikon's spot metering function, I'm not sure if I'll have a problem when I change to a Canon system (EOS 30/33).

Does spot metering make such a big difference compared to center-weighted?

How do Canon users do metering at a spot?
    Canon EOS 5D Classic | Minolta X-700 | http://flickr.com/photos/zeus

for me, I zoom in more and meter at the desired spot, then zoom out again to previous levle and either switch to manual mode or compensate accordingly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Necroist
    Having so used the Nikon's spot metering function, I'm not sure if I'll have a problem when I change to a Canon system (EOS 30/33).

Does spot metering make such a big difference compared to center-weighted?

How do Canon users do metering at a spot?

Well, i;m using EOS 30 and it does not offer spot metering. However, it does offers partial metering which covers 9.5% of the screen. In practical term, the viewfinder view of EOS 30 has 7 focusing squares, the middle square has a circle ard it, that is 9.5%. Hence for partial metering, exposure is determined solely by whatever you metered on in the 9.5% of the viewfinder.
    For center weight, 60% of the exposure is determined by the 9.5% circle while 40% from the rest of the screen. I usually dont use center weighted, i always shoot in partial metering mode and thus far , it has given me pretty decent control my exposures.