Thread: 3rd party lens

Default 3rd party lens

I got my D90 2 weeks ago and it's been great. But the kit lens range is too limited and i want to get a larger zoom lens for sports. Can anyone recommend me one?
    Also why are 3rd party lens so much cheaper and how to check whether my camera is compatible?
    Last edited by yannick87; 11th October 2008 at 12:37 PM.

Default Re: 3rd party lens

To ensure compatibility with your D90 and 3rd party len, just buy those len which state Nikon Mount.
    Sony RX100 Mk4

Quote Originally Posted by yannick87 View Post
    I got my D90 2 weeks ago and it's been great. But the kit lens range is too limited and i want to get a larger zoom lens for sports. Can anyone recommend me one?
    Also why are 3rd party lens so much cheaper and how to check whether my camera is compatible?
    If you like more zoom, you may like to try out a 70-300 lens for more reach. Nikon has a few version of the 70-300 lens, the cheapest is the 70-300G lens at about $120 2nd hand, to 70-300 VR at about $780 new. There are in betweens. 3rd party also produce 70-300 lenses.

If you want an "all in one" lens, then there is the Nikon 18-200 VR at about $800 2nd hand, and Tamron just released some longer range zooms like 18-200, 18-250 and 18-270.

3rd party lenses are not necessarily cheaper, but what you see as cheaper are those from the more commonly used 3rd party lenses like Sigma, Tokina or Tamron. They may be cheaper but not necessisarily worse in picture quality. You need to do your research.

More expensive 3rd party lenses are like Leica, Carl Zeiss, and Voigtlander.
    Last edited by geraldkhoo; 12th October 2008 at 12:22 PM.
    A picture tells a thousand words... make yours speak a million!
    My Flickr | My Blog

Thanks for the replies. May be go down and have a look.