• Yes

101 65.16%
  • No

54 34.84%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2567

Thread: Do You Think Smokers Are Selfish Generally

Default Re: Do You Think Smokers Are Selfish Generally

Quote Originally Posted by Lmodel View Post
    The non-smokers are selfish for couple of few reasons.

Major health effects of smoking, the most common use of tobacco, include an increased risk in lung cancer and cardiovascular disease. Currently, among people who have ever smoked any kind of tobacco, almost one in ten will develop lung cancer.[2] One in six men who continue to smoke tobacco will develop lung cancer.

The World Health Organization estimate that tobacco caused 5.4 million deaths in 2004[1] and 100 million deaths over the course of the 20th century.

The current Surgeon General’s Report concluded that there is no risk-free level of exposure to secondhand smoke. Even short exposures to secondhand smoke can cause blood platelets to become stickier, damage the lining of blood vessels, decrease coronary flow velocity reserves, and reduce heart rate variability, potentially increasing the risk of heart attack.

Secondhand smoke is especially harmful to young children. It is responsible for between 150,000 and 300,000 lower respiratory tract infections in infants and children under 18 months of age, resulting in between 7,500 and 15,000 hospitalizations each year. It is associated with 430 sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) deaths in the United States annually.

Secondhand smoke causes the same negative health effects as tobacco smoking, particularly heart diseases and cancer. Nonsmokers who are exposed to secondhand smoke at home or work increase their heart disease risk by 25–30% and their lung cancer risk by 20–30%. Secondhand smoke has been estimated to cause 38,000 deaths per year, of which 3,400 are deaths from lung cancer in non-smokers.

With the increased (and still increasing) number of people (smokers and nonsmokers) getting cancers or related diseases, the health bills will go up and insurance premiums increase. Majority of those who cannot afford the expensive treatments for health bills are paid for by tax payers money or insurance. In relation, this will increase as well.

Therefore, why are we (nonsmokers) wasting our money and risking our health (and our kids health) for the pleasure of others (smokers)?

It is not just a simple reason that we cannot tolerate the "smell".

(Anyway, this is just for a healthy debate )
    Seriously speaking.... most of the smokers nowadays are if not highly educated, well educated of such healthy issues. But still they decided to risk it (since it's only 1/10 right ? ) or perhaps image means more than health (at least that's what some think), or if not, some feel smoking can destress oneself, or well any reason as long as they can keep their stick in their mouth.

With the government enforcement that all cigarette packaging in Singapore must be printed with visual indication of all sorts of complication resulted from smoking and even BIG BOLD BLACK "angmoh" characters for those that understand ENGLAND, they still enjoy the tobacco like chocolate. Even "ah pek" see the "cartoon" on the packaging also understand. So ? What's the verdict ? They still enjoy burning their life away slowly. Some still feel they are young and have excess to burn away. Some still feel no cigar no seah.

Fine.... so be it... let them burn... We have billions of people on Earth. Minus a handful is not annihilation yet, so that's totally fine.

BUT BUT BUT.... I don't smoke and I am entitled as much right to keep smoke and harm away from me as much as they have the right and freedom to smoke. So freak it. Get the freaking puff off my territory!
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

Blog Entries

i would like to remind the smokers and the non smokers to not take it too personally and start a war of strong words
    yes david i am referring to your post above.

i do not see the need to push your view so strongly.
    there will not be another warning after this post

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    i would like to remind the smokers and the non smokers to not take it too personally and start a war of strong words
    yes david i am referring to your post above.

i do not see the need to push your view so strongly.
    there will not be another warning after this post
    No worries. My apologies. I ain't starting a flame war nor will I want to. If that is too strongly opinion as you have mentioned, I will be glad to apologize for it could be phrased in a better manner.

Thanks
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

i have many friends who smoke. i don't smoke. so long as they don't puff nonstop next to me i'm fine with it.

i also have many friends who want to organise bbqs. the quality of air, and the food is highly carcinogenic in such settings. so long as they don't organising these once a week i'm fine with it.

i also have many friends who drive cars. everytime i sit in the car i realise how much we are contributing to the slow death of the earth for a little comfort, especially when singapore is so small.

if you want to be utterly selfish, life will be so hard. live and let live. as long as people behave within tolerable limits there are so many other factors than passive smoking that kill you. how many of you who hate smokers do not exercise regularly? how many eat healthily? how many think happy thoughts and not get stressed out?

some coffee shops especially in the old estates the smokers there just smoke everywhere like 'bo cheng who' think enforcement is lacking in these coffee shops especially the rollies yerks really foul smelling

New Year resolution for health reason:
    1. For smoker: lets have a new year resolution: Quit Smoking
    2. For non-smoker: lets have a regular exercise, can apply for smoker too

Wishes you all a very Happy New Year 2009

Have you guys thought of how much tax revenue can be generated from smokers? With the ailing economy, i think they are a blessing.

Think positive. We shall be fine.

Also, I have seen some Chinese national puffing non smoke (plastic) cigarettes. Saw it at mrt and on the roads in Singapore. Imagine someone in the office needs a puff, he can do so in his office cubicle without affecting anyone or causing any pollution.

I think that is a good device to allow smokers enjoy their puff without lighting the stick. Unfortunately, it is banned.

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_320707.html
    Quote Originally Posted by www.straitstimes.com
    Jan 1, 2009
    Smoking ban good for heart
    Smoking ban lowers heart attacks in one US city WASHINGTON - A SMOKING ban caused heart attacks to drop by more than 40 per cent in one US city and the decrease lasted three years, federal health experts reported on Wednesday.

Pueblo, Colorado, passed a municipal law making workplaces and public places smoke-free in 2003 and US Centres for Disease Control and Prevention officials tracked hospitalisations for heart attacks afterward.
    They found there were 399 hospital admissions for heart attacks in Pueblo in the 18 months before the ban and 237 heart attack hospitalisations in the next year and a half - a decline of 41 per cent.
    The effect lasted three years, the team reported in the CDC's weekly report on death and disease.
    'We know that exposure to second-hand smoke has immediate harmful effects on people's cardiovascular systems, and that prolonged exposure to it can cause heart disease in nonsmoking adults,' said Dr Janet Collins, director of CDC's National Centre for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion.
    'This study adds to existing evidence that smoke-free policies can dramatically reduce illness and death from heart disease.'
    Long-term exposure to secondhand smoke can raise heart disease rates in adult nonsmokers by 25 per cent to 30 per cent, the CDC says. Secondhand smoke kills an estimated 46,000 Americans every year from heart disease alone. Smoking also causes a variety of cancers, as well as stroke and emphysema or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. -- REUTERS
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

Do you really believe these statistics? Some of these men died of other illnesses (ie cancer) before their heart pops. So, i tend to take such with a pinch of salt.

Anyway, just my personal view. your view will likely be different.

Quote Originally Posted by contaxable View Post
    Do you really believe these statistics? Some of these men died of other illnesses (ie cancer) before their heart pops. So, i tend to take such with a pinch of salt.

Anyway, just my personal view. your view will likely be different.
    I do take reports and stastistic with a pinch a salt, as they usually do put more weight on the message they want to put forward. But these report does somehow show a significant large differences with or without public smoking, not like those less than 5% differences.

How does die of cancer have influences on this statistic though? As they are measuring heart attack rate only, if include cancer caused by second hand smoke, that will be a different stat already.
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

Any one know that Glenn Ong just quit smoking this Monday?
    Any follower

The issue is very real. If you die immediately after some puffs, nobody will smoke!

Anyone heard of third hand smoke?

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/20...t_10610631.htm

Actually it appeared in the straits times few days back, but can't find the straits times link.

This one?

Yup.. Thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by armadillo View Post
    This one?

The article from the Straits Times is a very good explanation on how bad is smoking affect others surrounding them and to the smoker itself.

Will forward this article to my younger bro.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2567