155. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

101 65.16%
  • No

54 34.84%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Do You Think Smokers Are Selfish Generally

Default Re: Do You Think Smokers Are Selfish Generally

I think smell itself does not warrant any labelling of "selfish".

If ciggie smell on a person makes a person selfish, im sure there are so many out there who will be called selfish even if they don't smoke.

Personally i find the act of smoking, can be a little more considerate. (ex-smoker here)

1. Don't smoke in the hdb lifts
    2. Don't smoke directly in the bus stop (if there are other non-smokers waiting for bus there)
    3. Don't occupy non-smoking tables
    4. Don't smoke in parks
    5. Don't throw ciggie butts out of car windows while on expressways/roads, very dangerous for bikers.
    6. Don't smoke near petrol kiosks, hospitals, clinics

For non-smokers, they can be more considerate by:

1. Don't wave your hand infront of the nose everytime you smell a little bit of smoke. It's rude. Don't like it, just move away. Don't see a need to make a big fuss and let the whole world know. Most of the time, the act of moving away signals to the smoker, usually the smoker will apologize and move away or stub out.

2. Don't occupy smoking tables, it doesnt matter if you can't find a seat or you damn hungry. Taking a table for smokers, what will that end up to? Smokers have to stand around and smoke, and then more complaints again.

3. If you see someone smoking, don't purposely go and stand near, and then complain, make a big fuss. Don't talk about human rights, and rights to stand at the spot or whatsoever. These people, no trouble find trouble, are worse than selfish smokers. All you need is some patience, stay away, wait for smoker to finish. (don't think the smoker will finish an entire pack at the same spot)
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael View Post
    Smoking in front of you when you are not a smoker?
    Yes it is too selfish.... i can tol for this.

My neighbor do the same thing to me too.... that why i feel it very selfish, as i have to be a 2nd hand passive smoker every morning and night. do he cosider that the 2nd hand passive smokers are die faster than smoker?

Smokers can smoke anywhere and anytime they like to cos its a free country BUT if their smoking affects non smokers, then they should either stop smoking or go smoke somewhere that will not affect others.

In Japan airport they actually have glass walled rooms for smokers. Maybe we should start building those.
    Nikanon D3FXMarkIIIDS-1H with 5000mm f/128 & 0.500mm Macro f/0.4 & 0.70-2000mm f/256

Quote Originally Posted by zcf View Post
    I notice there are usually more cigarette butts than other rubbishs on the floor of bus stand, or other places, where dustbin are within reach.

Sure they are entitled to smoke, but don't you think they are selfish when they smoke in the prohibited area like enclosed aircon place, bus stop, elevator and let other people inhale 2nd hand smoke?

Surely there are some good and considerate smokers, but there are quite a lot of bad smokers also.
    These people I agreed are generally selfish.... no doubt about it. But this is their nature, this has nothing to do with smoking. Its a totally different issue. If I see a commuter on the bus not giving seats to the elderly or pregnant lady, can I say that bus commuter are selfish?????????
    D300|35mm f/2|85mm f/1.4|18-200 mm VR|17-55mm f/2.8 |70-300 F4-5.6|Tok 11-16 f/2.8|SB800|MB-D10|

"Do You Think Smokers Are Selfish Generally"

If they are Not (Generally), it would not be necessary for the Govt to impose smoking ban (in crowded places & confined places), isn't it?

Smokers who are considerate wouldn't light up in these places (Common sense?). They'll smoke in other places that has better ventilation or where the smoke is less likely to linger or cause discomfort to others.

Quote Originally Posted by teochinaik View Post
    My neighbor do the same thing to me too.... that why i feel it very selfish, as i have to be a 2nd hand passive smoker every morning and night. do he cosider that the 2nd hand passive smokers are die faster than smoker?
    My downstairs neighbour smokes at his window a few times a day.. the smoke just drifts into my house. What to do?

Sometimes end up my kitchen stinks of cig smoke.

Saw a preggy in her 5-6months puffing away. I was walking fast in a hurry, was angry with myself for not telling her off later on. What would you do if you should see this?
    just1book, no kidding!

Quote Originally Posted by Lmodel View Post
    My neighbor is an extremely selfish smoker.

Being a considerate father, he is worried about the health-being of his 2 kids. So he would smoke along the common corridor (where my window is facing). Every morning, I'd be awoken by his cigarette smell and once before I go to bed! It is even worst when he is around on Saturdays and Sundays!
    I have a neighbor who is like that, so I tell him nicely that I deserve a clean as just as much as he deserve to smoke. He smokes outside his flat in the corridor outside my window. So I tell him OK to smoke but please do at void deck, not near anybody's window. What is bad if the neighbor downstairs smokes inside his own flat, standing at kitchen window. I just close my kitchen window and toilet window until he finish his cig and pray for strong wind to blow away the smell.

Quote Originally Posted by aryanto View Post
    What is bad if the neighbor downstairs smokes inside his own flat, standing at kitchen window. I just close my kitchen window and toilet window until he finish his cig and pray for strong wind to blow away the smell.
    My downstairs neighbor is like that. hate it...

Quote Originally Posted by Lmodel View Post
    My neighbor is an extremely selfish smoker.

Being a considerate father, he is worried about the health-being of his 2 kids. So he would smoke along the common corridor (where my window is facing). Every morning, I'd be awoken by his cigarette smell and once before I go to bed! It is even worst when he is around on Saturdays and Sundays!
    I have this bad luck that I have neighbour similar to the above wherever I move
    THey all like to smoke at the window so their house doesn't stink but end up I sniffing it

I'm a non-smoker.

The selfish one are generally the non-smokers.

Why are we keep pushing the smokers? Give them a break and a space to smoke lah!!!

Don't tell me non-smokers dun litter and dirty the place by other ways???

Please lah!

Quote Originally Posted by cheeseme View Post
    I'm a non-smoker.

Why are we keep pushing the smokers? Give them a break and a space to smoke lah!!!

Please lah!
    We all are selfish and for one thing I'm selfish for my health. So if they wanna punish my health, I will punish their pride. As simple as that.
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

The non-smokers are selfish for couple of few reasons.

Major health effects of smoking, the most common use of tobacco, include an increased risk in lung cancer and cardiovascular disease. Currently, among people who have ever smoked any kind of tobacco, almost one in ten will develop lung cancer.[2] One in six men who continue to smoke tobacco will develop lung cancer.

The World Health Organization estimate that tobacco caused 5.4 million deaths in 2004[1] and 100 million deaths over the course of the 20th century.

The current Surgeon General’s Report concluded that there is no risk-free level of exposure to secondhand smoke. Even short exposures to secondhand smoke can cause blood platelets to become stickier, damage the lining of blood vessels, decrease coronary flow velocity reserves, and reduce heart rate variability, potentially increasing the risk of heart attack.

Secondhand smoke is especially harmful to young children. It is responsible for between 150,000 and 300,000 lower respiratory tract infections in infants and children under 18 months of age, resulting in between 7,500 and 15,000 hospitalizations each year. It is associated with 430 sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) deaths in the United States annually.

Secondhand smoke causes the same negative health effects as tobacco smoking, particularly heart diseases and cancer. Nonsmokers who are exposed to secondhand smoke at home or work increase their heart disease risk by 25–30% and their lung cancer risk by 20–30%. Secondhand smoke has been estimated to cause 38,000 deaths per year, of which 3,400 are deaths from lung cancer in non-smokers.

With the increased (and still increasing) number of people (smokers and nonsmokers) getting cancers or related diseases, the health bills will go up and insurance premiums increase. Majority of those who cannot afford the expensive treatments for health bills are paid for by tax payers money or insurance. In relation, this will increase as well.

Therefore, why are we (nonsmokers) wasting our money and risking our health (and our kids health) for the pleasure of others (smokers)?

It is not just a simple reason that we cannot tolerate the "smell".

(Anyway, this is just for a healthy debate )

Although Singapore is not very big compared to China or India, it is BIG enough to offer plenty of locations that is not crowded or confined such that smokers can smoke freely, such as 10m away from a bus top, 10m away from a shopping mall entrance etc..

Smokers got no place to smoke meh?

I guess smokers should give non-smokers a break by not polluting the air in places of people concentration and/or limited air circulation.

If non-smokers banned smoking totally in whole of the island then non-smokers are selfish.
    If smokers pollute the air in crowded and/or confined places, then smokers are selfish.

Quote Originally Posted by cheeseme View Post
    I'm a non-smoker.

Please lah!
    Last edited by Limsgp; 26th December 2008 at 10:13 AM.

Blog Entries

generally everyone is selfish

we normally only see thing from our own point of view and generally do not care too much if it affects others
    take for example, the health issue, if everyone was so concerned about health
    then they should lobby for the ban on motorised vehicles as the carbon monoxide is many many time more toxic than 2nd hand smoke.
    so just as long as you have a carbon footprint, no one has the right to say anything as no one is guilt free.

Go back to living in the 1700s, before industrial revolution.

I'm a non-smoker though, this is how i feel. You sneeze /cough/fart/burp in public. Is that selfish? As long as you dun affect anyone else, i think its fine. Some smokers do make an effort but some simply can't be bothered. Its the people that makes the difference, not the "smokers" group in general. Still best not to smoke bah, for the sake of health
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

Quote Originally Posted by Limsgp View Post
    Although Singapore is not very big compared to China or India, it is BIG enough to offer plenty of locations that is not crowded or confined such that smokers can smoke freely, such as 10m away from a bus top, 10m away from a shopping mall entrance etc..

Smokers got no place to smoke meh?

I guess smokers should give non-smokers a break by not polluting the air in places of people concentration and/or limited air circulation.

If non-smokers banned smoking totally in whole of the island then non-smokers are selfish.
    If smokers pollute the air in crowded and/or confined places, then smokers are selfish.
    Yes we are selfish as we (Non Smoker) are care our health... to all smokers pls. given some consideration for non smokers follow the rule and don't catch smoke when that is a non smoker around....

Like Ortega said, we are all selfish :

1. Non-smokers are selfish because they want to maintain a smoke free (pollution free) environment, however this a for health reasons.

2. Smokers are selfish because they want to enjoy smoking, regardless of the environment or other people's safety.

I guess with the above scenario smokers lose, but you know what everybody is selfish because they all care for themselves.
    Enlighten me...
    [Uluru]

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast