• Yes

101 65.16%
  • No

54 34.84%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Think Smokers Are Selfish Generally

Default Re: Do You Think Smokers Are Selfish Generally

Quote Originally Posted by Randius View Post
    I have yet to encounter any smoker living in my block who is considerate enough to extinguish his cigarette before entering the lift. All will continue to smoke inside the lift, making a mockery of the "No Smoking" sign. Some old people are even worse and simply do not give a damn when I cover my mouth in reaction to them smoking and continue to puff away

I will not hesitate and had refused one "uncle" from entering the lift because he has a lighted cigarette. He could choose between taking the stairs or extinguish the cigarette. After some verbal abuse, he chose the stairs.
    I applaud you for stopping your neighbour. U see, since we lived in the same block, n sometimes know each other; it just make the situation trickier.

Quote Originally Posted by dreaming View Post
    I applaud you for stopping your neighbour. U see, since we lived in the same block, n sometimes know each other; it just make the situation trickier.
    Haha. We're photographers. If the guy isn't some ah beng, but he's a smoker, I will get out of the lift, and shoot his picture while he's smoking in the lift.
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

In response to the OP question, it all boils down to being ethical or not. I smoke btw , and when I smoke I'll move away from crowds , kids , and pregnant mums. But If there am I standing in one BIG open space and one auntie happen to walk past me with hands waving the smoke, I will be damn pissed. I mean hey , I didn't point a gun at her to walk up to me , so respect people abit. Why they didn't wave their hands when those rich tais tais walk up to their beemer and Lexus etc .....

and also ,

Do you think ex-imates are dangerous generally ?
    Do you think low educated people are rowdy generally ?

Please lor, ex-imates can become boss ( in fact it was reported in the news) , the so-call highly educated sophiscated individual can be behaving like morons with 0.5 EQ and IQ.
    Do not generalised any group, there will be black horse not matter where u are.

How do I put it in one line?

There are bound to be discourteous and selfish smokers in our society as there are discourteous and selfish citizens who are non-smokers; you're bound to get all sorts in any society, and I find the act of categorizing and generalizing both short-sighted as well as selfish in it's own way, because one tends to only look through the eyes of obfuscation.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJerry View Post
    Sorry for all smokers here, but I do find some bad smokers around my area.
    They puff away inside the lift, bus stop and coffee shops.
    I believe they understand "no smoking" logo in those places, but simply "bo chap" one
    i will tap on the sign and remind them. either distinguish their ciggy or get out. especially in lift. if they dare kpkb, there's always the neighbourhood police post at the ground level.

i have stopped a few teenagers this way. uncle are more understanding, they see ppl at least they will put it out or don't take the lift.

Generally, i feel the lower educated smokers are the boh chap kind of smokers that tend to walk and smoke at the same time. These are the ones that i really cannot stand. I have a choice to overtake them.. then all is fine. But, most of the time(esp in orchard road during the crowded weekends) u really do not have much of a choice.

I wish i can help them quit but as u know.. the circle of friends of these smokers are generally smokers. It's hard when u have peer pressure to keep u going instead of quitting.

What we could suggest the government to do to help stem this smoking habit is to require a madatory point of sale system that all cigarettes sellers have use in order to have a license to sell cigarettes. The POS will have to scan(take a picture of) the buyer's IC for each purchase and the quantity purchased(helps to stop youngster from buying them). All the purchases will then be bulk uploaded to the Ministry of Health at the end of the day. Health Insurers will then be allowed to access the database at a fee(win-win situation) and allow the health insurers to charge a additional premium for the smoker. I know so many smokers who don't declare their smoking status to the insurers and is fed up that my health insurance premium is growing by the years to subsidise all these smokers. The MOH can also remove the health subsidies of smoke related illness of these patients as it's their own choosing for smoking and shouldn't expect public help for their healthcare.

All these measures might give them the final push to make them reconsider their smoking habit.
    Last edited by AhSeng; 15th October 2008 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AhSeng View Post
    Generally, i feel the lower educated smokers are the boh chap kind of smokers that tend to walk and smoke at the same time. These are the ones that i really cannot stand. I have a choice to overtake them.. then all is fine. But, most of the time(esp in orchard road during the crowded weekends) u really do not have much of a choice.

I wish i can help them quit but as u know.. the circle of friends of these smokers are generally smokers. It's hard when u have peer pressure to keep u going instead of quitting.

What we could suggest the government to do to help stem this smoking habit is to require a madatory point of sale system that all cigarettes sellers have use in order to have a license to sell cigarettes. The POS will have to scan(take a picture of) the buyer's IC for each purchase and the quantity purchased(helps to stop youngster from buying them). All the purchases will then be bulk uploaded to the Ministry of Health at the end of the day. Health Insurers will then be allowed to access the database at a fee(win-win situation) and allow the health insurers to charge a additional premium for the smoker. I know so many smokers who don't declare their smoking status to the insurers and is fed up that my health insurance premium is growing by the years to subsidise all these smokers. The MOH can also remove the health subsidies of smoke related illness of these patients as it's their own choosing for smoking and shouldn't expect public help for their healthcare.

All these measures might give them the final push to make them reconsider their smoking habit.
    BUT dun forget also... non-smokers also suffer from such diseases... and it's all due to the STUPID second hand smoke...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    BUT dun forget also... non-smokers also suffer from such diseases... and it's all due to the STUPID second hand smoke...
    Well.. i didn't suggest the removal of smoke related illness subsidies for all. Only for these smokers identified in the system. The system can be flexible. We could even tweak it to have a cut off point where individuals who bought only 1 packet a month be exempted from the removal of these subsidies and benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by AhSeng View Post
    Well.. i didn't suggest the removal of smoke related illness subsidies for all. Only for these smokers identified in the system. The system can be flexible. We could even tweak it to have a cut off point where individuals who bought only 1 packet a month be exempted from the removal of these subsidies and benefits.
    Well, gonna be pretty difficult to track
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Randius View Post
    I have yet to encounter any smoker living in my block who is considerate enough to extinguish his cigarette before entering the lift. All will continue to smoke inside the lift, making a mockery of the "No Smoking" sign. Some old people are even worse and simply do not give a damn when I cover my mouth in reaction to them smoking and continue to puff away

I will not hesitate and had refused one "uncle" from entering the lift because he has a lighted cigarette. He could choose between taking the stairs or extinguish the cigarette. After some verbal abuse, he chose the stairs.
    Some have the cheek to tell you "I'm not smoking! i'm holding my (lighted) cigarette!"

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Well, gonna be pretty difficult to track
    Not really... Considering the number of smokers to be around 50%(worse case) of the population of 5 million. Thats only 2.5 million record/month to process. Kachiam puteh for modern database systems la.

i have nothing against smokers..

however, i would wish when smokers smokes, please try not to walk and smoke. It tends to leave a trail of cig. smokes wherever they goes.. be good, stay at the appointed places and enjoy your stick.

Quote Originally Posted by skypen View Post
    i have nothing against smokers..

however, i would wish when smokers smokes, please try not to walk and smoke. It tends to leave a trail of cig. smokes wherever they goes.. be good, stay at the appointed places and enjoy your stick.
    I call that "freight train" phenomenon.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmore View Post
    i will tap on the sign and remind them. either distinguish their ciggy or get out. especially in lift. if they dare kpkb, there's always the neighbourhood police post at the ground level.

i have stopped a few teenagers this way. uncle are more understanding, they see ppl at least they will put it out or don't take the lift.
    I find that those ah pek are more boh chap than the youngsters in my area.

Just curious if a smoker mind, if other smoker smoke blow to them?
    But I personally think all smoker have a thought to quit, only thing is not easy thing to do.

will we see threads with titles,

"do u think singles are selfish?"

a common place in Kopitiam?

Most don't believe it will hurt them or others who breathe their smoke.
    It is a chemical addiction though not so strong as drugs.
    Expensive now as cigs cost.

They have no idea their breath stinks.

Bring them to a lung cancer ward one day to see.

regardless selfish or not, if they smoke in the lift, or even at their own house, definately is not good, if they have young children or baby around.

Er, hi all im gonna digress here with a simple qn- What about smoking makes it so addictive? For the uneducated it might be cuz they dont realise all the health risk factors associated with the habit, as for the educated lot like us? What really nails it, the level of addiction as compared to hard drugs (heroin) is definitely less, yet some of us persist in continuing with this bad habit - The image, the routine lifestyle, the friends around you, or just plain bored (from army daze)? Do share!
    Canon 40D, 10-22, 35, 70-200
    http://theserialhobbyist.multiply.com

Blog Entries

humans are selfish in general
    if we humans weren't selfish there would not be a thread like this.

I am a smoker, but i do not smoke in lifts and around the general crowd.
    but when i go to the open space to smoke, there are selfish non smokers who do not care about the rights of the smoker.

Do you know that carbon monoxide is lethal?
    so the CO that we all help to generate should be more of an issue than 2nd hans smoke from smokers. after all you can inhale 2nd hand smoke and still live a long life, while inhaling CO will kill you, just because it is colorless, practically odorless and tasteless. so no one takes notice.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast