• Yes

101 65.16%
  • No

54 34.84%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Think Smokers Are Selfish Generally

Default Re: Do You Think Smokers Are Selfish Generally

Quote Originally Posted by photobum View Post
    As I said, the smoker will usually stop puffing his cigarette and head looking down, as if .
    Maybe we should learn to fart on demand. You pollute my air, I pollute yours.

My dad is even funnier. Remember those white face masks from the SARS era? He carries one of those inside his bag. Whenever he encounters a smoker inside the elevator, he will put the mask on. I can tell you this makes the smoker really uncomfortable.
    Last edited by photobum; 11th October 2008 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    Maybe we should learn to fart on demand. You pollute my air, I pollute yours.
    Actually, I can do that. Just give me two Beano (not the comic) digestive enzymes tablets and Coke/Pepsi.
    Last edited by photobum; 11th October 2008 at 02:29 PM.

How about reverse psychology, we pretend to love the 2nd hand smoke so much we put our faces in front of them and start to "inhale deeply" with a big smile.

Reverse psychology doesn't work on smokers who are high. We may even send them the wrong signal.

Taking public transport and smoking in front of others. Which one is a necessary evil?
    the former seems more of a necessary evil, that's for sure. but do you not have a choice as well?

if automobiles were not invented, the motor engine was not even present. would everyone have any public transport to take to work?

can you walk to work? the answer is yes. the difference is the degree. but should the soldier who ran away 50 steps laugh at the soldier that ran away 100 steps?

How about reverse psychology, we pretend to love the 2nd hand smoke so much we put our faces in front of them and start to "inhale deeply" with a big smile.
    i think they will offer you a ciggie and welcome you to the club

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    the former seems more of a necessary evil, that's for sure. but do you not have a choice as well?

if automobiles were not invented, the motor engine was not even present. would everyone have any public transport to take to work?

can you walk to work? the answer is yes. the difference is the degree. but should the soldier who ran away 50 steps laugh at the soldier that ran away 100 steps?
    I understand that sometimes there is a need for analogy to support an argument. But we will hinder discussion if we stretch the analogy and comparison too far.

Using the line of extreme examples, we can't chastise people who dump toxic materials into waterways, since they can argue that boats pollute the waterways with their oil discharge also?

You are right on the part of the difference of the degree, I am trying to bring into the intention of our actions and how much control we have over them.

i think they will offer you a ciggie and welcome you to the club
    Haha, no thanks, I have lost people around me due to illness due to smoking and (possibly) 2nd hand smoke.

That kind of affects the rather hard line I take to this discussion. Hope i don't step on too many toes in the process.
    Last edited by ahbian; 11th October 2008 at 03:29 PM.

I understand that sometimes there is a need for analogy to support an argument. But we will hinder discussion if we stretch the analogy and comparison too far.

Using the line of extreme examples, we can't chastise people who dump toxic materials into waterways, since they can argue that boats pollute the waterways with their oil discharge also?

You are right on the part of the difference of the degree, I am trying to bring into the intention of our actions and how much control we have over them.
    naw, i was referring to the walking/smoking point mainly when i wrote the analogy. if a smoker lights up in the lift, he takes away your choice to choose.

but if you're outside, just walk away. sure, he's inconvenienced you, but similarly, the developing countries of today are being inconvenienced indirectly by the developed countries - who consume a lot more oil and produce a lot more pollution. we share the same planet - it's the same concept.. but because everyone's doing it, people have ceased to care.

i understand that we all aspire to try to change the world in our own way - i'm not saying that you should stop, but an acknowledgement that people have their own individual needs, and a temporary compromise should be reached.. that should be the way to go.

i'm actually more than happy if smoking was banned altogether.

naw, i was referring to the walking/smoking point mainly when i wrote the analogy. if a smoker lights up in the lift, he takes away your choice to choose.

but if you're outside, just walk away. sure, he's inconvenienced you, but similarly, the developing countries of today are being inconvenienced indirectly by the developed countries - who consume a lot more oil and produce a lot more pollution. we share the same planet - it's the same concept.. but because everyone's doing it, people have ceased to care.

i understand that we all aspire to try to change the world in our own way - i'm not saying that you should stop, but an acknowledgement that people have their own individual needs, and a temporary compromise should be reached.. that should be the way to go.

Lets hope that just as we have the choice to choose to walk away from a smoker, the smokers themselves will choose to have their puff when away from strangers.

Cool, i get your point now. The issue of choice- both in choosing the right one for yourself, and giving the chance of one to others.
    Last edited by ahbian; 11th October 2008 at 03:39 PM.

+1

totally agree!!

Quote Originally Posted by photobum View Post
    My dad is even funnier. Remember those white face masks from the SARS era? He carries one of those inside his bag. Whenever he encounters a smoker inside the elevator, he will put the mask on. I can tell you this makes the smoker really uncomfortable.
    This is funny, one of my friends does that too!

I not sure I want to get into this debate, seeing the level of dogmatic replies (and therefore mind-sets) in this thread, but yeah, those face-masks, especially the N95s, will come in very handy on buses and trains, as well as near hawker centers and food stalls where TONS of people cough, sneeze and spit indiscriminately spewing hundreds of thousands of viral and bacterial carrying water droplets that we all have the honor of breathing in.

If there's one positive benefit of this thread, it's to remind us about how useful those face masks can be to protect ourselves since so many people spend their entire lives hell-bent on trying to infect everyone around them.

Ok, about selfish smokers, I don't see them as being any more selfish than the hordes of people mentioned above, in fact, they probably number a whole lot less. Also, smoke rises and dissipates a lot faster than water-droplets with a higher specific density so go figure which has the potential to spread a lot more diseases, and don't be lulled into false sense of security - flus KILL a whole lot of other things besides lives.

Ok, rant mode off.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael View Post
    Smoking in front of you when you are not a smoker?
    They do not know.

The key word is addiction!

Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
    They do not know.

The key word is addiction!
    I think the key word for these smokers is "do not care".

its an addiction for most, in these lean times, some would rather not puff, & those who sell, will sell to anyone (regardless of age) as long as not caught.

allowing the sales of cigarettes for economic gains is far more selfish. if gum can be banned.... least the sales of cigarettes be sold with tighter regulations.

being too easily available makes it tough to enforce the age limit. den we'll hear "~ not possible to 100% check islandwide, all year round"...

generally, i don't think smokers are selfish.
    personally, i hate the act of smoking cause they are being selfish to
    their own well-being.
    Last edited by velasco; 14th October 2008 at 02:18 PM.

I have yet to encounter any smoker living in my block who is considerate enough to extinguish his cigarette before entering the lift. All will continue to smoke inside the lift, making a mockery of the "No Smoking" sign. Some old people are even worse and simply do not give a damn when I cover my mouth in reaction to them smoking and continue to puff away

I will not hesitate and had refused one "uncle" from entering the lift because he has a lighted cigarette. He could choose between taking the stairs or extinguish the cigarette. After some verbal abuse, he chose the stairs.
    RICOH GRD I / II / III / IV / GR / GXR

Quote Originally Posted by paesyl View Post
    Me facing the same thing as you. Worst my kitchen window is side by side. Not only smell it..can even see the smoke.

You cant stop them
    My neighbour downstairs sometimes will wake up in the middle of the night and smoke at the window...and the smoke fly into my room while i am sleeping.... Nowadays I on aircon everynight liaoz...
    HX300/ EPL6/ EOS60D/ 17-55mmF2.8IS/ 100mmF2.8Macro/ 135mmF2L/ 70-200mmF4LIS/ 300mmF4LIS

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast