Thread: Do You Think Smokers Are Selfish Generally

Default Re: Do You Think Smokers Are Selfish Generally

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post

We're talking about those selfish ones
    ..then whats there to question about?

Quote Originally Posted by seanlim View Post
    ..then whats there to question about?
    Then mebbe more on, the percentage of them being selfish...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

In today's social context, smoking is an antisocial or prosocial behavior?

Obviously that depends on the country you like in as the world seems to slowly adopt
    the act of smoking to be banned as much as possible for whatever the reasons.

The act of self-interest is selfishness to many people who believed that once giving
    money to the poor or to someone who begs is. It could be that there are people trying
    to relieve their own distress at seeing others in distress.

So smokers who smoke in front others isn't going to render any help at all for they will
    not benefit themselves in any way. There is no reason to believe by not smoking in front
    of other people will make themsleves feel better. If they do can it be for their own selfish
    reason?

Showing unselfish concern for the welfare of others is a helping behavior which is available
    to every person naturally. When people are able to put themseles in the shoes of others,
    they will have the tendency to render aid by not smoking when others are around them.

To unwine this selfish behavior, nothing is more truth than through the channel of proper
    training where aggressive folks can be developed into caring and be more altruistic.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To the highest nobleman they have a saying:

"Do not do unto others what you do not want others to do unto you".
    What is most concerned is whether one has the experiences that taught them to be
    more concerned only about themselves instead of others?

Quote Originally Posted by dreaming View Post
    wait until we put u in a lift with those damn smoker!!
    i have been in a confined space many a time with smokers.

the ironic part is people quibble about this, quibble about that,

then go and eat barbeque food at some gathering at east coast park.

funniest part is that at the single session you will be a) inhaling more carcinogens than most other things, b) eating them in too. WHEE.

you entirely missed my point with your response. the human race is full of double standards - most people enjoy the comfort of driving, but driving is the source of so many problems. they say they cannot live without it. there is always a choice. just like smoking, driving is an addiction, especially in cities with a well developed transportation system. you look at london, it's so ley chey to pay congestion charge (8 pounds), it's so irritating to drive because there's always congestion, you can probably tube faster most of the time. but there are still so many cars in london.

if we want to crucify smokers because they smoke around us, what about you? are you a driver? do you spew poison from your exhaust pipes and insist that you are justified simply because you convenienced yourself? even if you are not a driver, why take the bus? after all, we must save the world. you should wake up at 4 am and start walking to work.

once the sun goes down, forget about electric lights and go to bed. you have the consolation that people always say that sleep early, get up early, good for body. bathing, also use cold water. there are so many things to whine about, but people only target the group that is in the minority because they feel happy to stand on a higher moral ground.
    Last edited by night86mare; 11th October 2008 at 03:46 AM.

BTW, nobody barbeque in a lift or underpass, right? think both of us have misinterpret each other point of view (your's being too profound). basically, I'm annoyed with smoker who smoke in a confined space such as lift, underpass, car, covered walkway. that's it.

BTW, nobody barbeque in a lift or underpass, right? think both of us have misinterpret each other point of view (your's being too profound). basically, I'm annoyed with smoker who smoke in a confined space such as lift, underpass, car, covered walkway. that's it.
    oh.. chey.

but i didn't make my statement about smokers who did that. now that is taking away the right to choose from you. there's a difference.

My boss smokes inside his room. Everytime I enter his room to discuss about work, I have to smell all the residue smokes. But then he is my boss, what can I say
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael View Post
    Smoking in front of you when you are not a smoker?
    I don't mind.

Let's assume a setting:

Comparing: your old dad/best friend smokes in front of you and a stranger smokes in front of you.

You will hate the stranger but not your father/best friend. So it is not fair to say who is selfish and who is not. It is relativity. Smoke from both sides are equally harmful anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael View Post
    Smoking in front of you when you are not a smoker?
    ah yes.... and he/she gotta make SURE that the wind direction is going to blow the smoke discharge away from me...

I think it is fine compared to exhaust fumes from SBS buses, tour coaches, industrial machines/vehicles and military trucks.

Honestly, this campaign is a way to raise taxes on ciggy. It is a form of legalised narcotics endorsed by uncle sam.

Dont like it or cant afford it, dont smoke.

Somehow, i do see more children and teens smoking than 20yrs back (when ciggy were dirt cheap). Has the campaign been effective? No, not in the last 2 decades. In fact, it encouraged more children to pick the habit given it is now a prestige to be able to afford a puff.

Quote Originally Posted by contaxable View Post
    I think it is fine compared to exhaust fumes from SBS buses, tour coaches, industrial machines/vehicles and military trucks.

Honestly, this campaign is a way to raise taxes on ciggy. It is a form of legalised narcotics endorsed by uncle sam.

Somehow, i do see more children and teens smoking than 20yrs back (when ciggy were dirt cheap). Has the campaign been effective? No, not in the last 2 decades. In fact, it encouraged more children to pick the habit given it is now a prestige to be able to afford a puff.
    last time cars too expensive too drive...... cannot see cars.... but now... cars although expensive.. pple still drive.

no matter how expensive it is, pple will still do it. even if ciggys go up to $25/pack, pple will still smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by contaxable View Post

Was there local data published on the increase uptake of smoking in singapore ?

Not too sure about local numbers but with taxes the States did notice a drop in numbers in both the black and whites.

Though pretty price inelastic, the rise in taxes hits the people with lower income and especially the young adopters. Of course for northerners or people who bother to cross the causeway for cheap puff, there issin too much of a disincentive

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    Was there local data published on the increase uptake of smoking in singapore ?

Not too sure about local numbers but with taxes the States did notice a drop in numbers in both the black and whites.

Though pretty price inelastic, the rise in taxes hits the people with lower income and especially the young adopters. Of course for northerners or people who bother to cross the causeway for cheap puff, there issin too much of a disincentive

Ryan
    Do you trust statistics? It is easy to skew statistics to prove a point.

You want to know the trend, go join xmm shoots and ask them about early adopters for this habit.

Many kids do have decent pocket money these days (esp with the rise in canteen food pricing) and they can afford. If not, they save on meals and share a pack. Not a difficult thing to do.

And, the affected ones are grown adults in average income group - who have a family to feed and are chain smokers.

Some food for thought

There are always confounders in data collected, no qualms about people slanting numbers. Thats why it is always a practice to have critical appraisals of even numbers churned and publised by the big time journals.

I would think the problem was even more rampant in the days where there was no media restriction of cig ads, the ones with popular personnels puffing in poses, the times where menthol cigs were blatantly ( but successfully ) marketted as the healthier choice.

There is a lack of reciprocity communicating to a smoker that his/her smoking is injurious to non smoker's health. Smoking is after all not socially inhibiting anyway. You can do it at the cost of sounding / appearing impolite or just remain apethetic. I would not put it as "selfish" - ( of course some are. But it sounds intentional and malicious ).

For people who are already in the business of smoking for years, I find there is usually some crystallizing event that made them see the need to quit ( everyone will know that smoking is bad for health, but who appreciates the danger of heart attacks / stroke that will happen in the distant nebulous future ) I have seen some who quit because they are going to be a father. Of course serious illnesses like a heart attack can be a turning point. Surviving on oxygen tanks is another. ( Never too late )

Some will have the better determination to stop on their own.

But we know that tobacco is here to stay

Ryan
    Last edited by giantcanopy; 11th October 2008 at 01:21 PM.

Taking public transport and smoking in front of others. Which one is a necessary evil?

Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    Taking public transport and smoking in front of others. Which one is a necessary evil?
    Why is taking public transport a necessary evil ?

Why is taking public transport a necessary evil ?
    I was responding to the opinion that compares pollution from motor vehicles and smoking.

Its implication (if I got it correctly) was that it is double standard to criticize smokers while one takes takes even a bus to work. I am inclined to disagree.
    Last edited by ahbian; 11th October 2008 at 02:01 PM.

wait until we put u in a lift with those damn smoker!!
    Agree....

Every time when there is an idiot smoking inside the elevator that I am taking, I will use a handkerchief to cover my mouth and breathe heavily, pretending to suffer an asthma attack. Most of them will stop puffing and heads looking down.
    Last edited by photobum; 11th October 2008 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    I was responding to the opinion that compares pollution from motor vehicles and smoking.

Its implication (if I got it correctly) was that it is double standard to criticize smokers while one takes takes even a bus to work. I am inclined to disagree.
    Oh ok. I see your point now

Quote Originally Posted by photobum View Post
    Agree....

Every time when there is an idiot smoking inside the elevator that I am taking, I will use a handkerchief to cover my mouth and breathe heavily, pretending to suffer an asthma attack. Most of them will stop puffing and heads looking down.
    That is funny! So what are the responses that you have gotten so far ?

Ryan

That is funny! So what are the responses that you have gotten so far ?
    As I said, the smoker will usually stop puffing his cigarette and head looking down, as if .
    Last edited by photobum; 11th October 2008 at 02:18 PM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast