Thread: Wide angle lens or telephoto with pano

Default Wide angle lens or telephoto with pano

It has been said that wide angle lens is good for landscape/scenery because of the wider angle of view. However in this digital age and with the ease of creating pano view, is using a telephoto lens such an disadvantage?

Even though it is said that telephoto lens compress the view, is that a bad thing?
    Idea got, execution not!
    APAD|Travelogue

Default Re: Wide angle lens or telephoto with pano

Telephoto and wide angle gives different perspective on photos. So there is a difference in the feel of the photo. For pano, I think using 50mm to capture will give good perspective after stitching up.

Quote Originally Posted by two200 View Post
    It has been said that wide angle lens is good for landscape/scenery because of the wider angle of view. However in this digital age and with the ease of creating pano view, is using a telephoto lens such an disadvantage?

Even though it is said that telephoto lens compress the view, is that a bad thing?

There is a difference. A tele lens tend to 'compress' everything together, meaning, every thing in the frame is closer to each other. I'll suggest wide angle.

If you use a tele to take pano.. Won't you need to take a few thousand shots?
    Meow!

Quote Originally Posted by GavinTing View Post
    If you use a tele to take pano.. Won't you need to take a few thousand shots?
    Ok-lah, longer focal length eg 105, 135, and maybe 200mm.... Should probably need around 5-6 shots for a decent one depending on the type of landscape
    Idea got, execution not!
    APAD|Travelogue

Ok-lah, longer focal length eg 105, 135, and maybe 200mm.... Should probably need around 5-6 shots for a decent one depending on the type of landscape
    But then you have to stand quite far away.. I guess it really depends n the type of landscape you are trying to take..

5-6 shots may not be enough. You know in pano, have to overlap right?
    Meow!

The purpose of taking pano is to go wider than usual. I don't know why you want to use a telephoto to stitch into a pano? Isn't that defeating the purpose of taking pano?

Sometimes because the subject is too far, a panorama made with a telephoto brings the subject nearer.

For example, 85mm taken with my D80
    ( Short of cropping excessively from a wide angle lens )

Of course the other option is to make huge stitches short of investing in a digitalback/scanback with multiple telephoto shots. Very tedious but a few yrs ago with the start of DSLR, there was already a Canon dude raking bucks making Giga-pixel panoramas of landscapes of US.

Ryan

Actually... using a Tele to shoot pano's is easier as there is less distortion on the sides. Imagine all the distortions and how WOULD you be able to stitch them together easily?
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Nowadays its very easy to stitch pano even taken with 18mm on APSC cam. Just one click on CS3, its done in less than a minute.

But back to the topic, using Wide or Ultra Wide to shoot Pano will have perspective distortion problem...as UWA has much distortion at the side of the frame, then stitching a pano with many UWA shots means certain part of the pano will have distorted perspective....Tele will have the same prob on the other end of the scale...thats why I think 50mm is good as the perspective is closes to human eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Actually... using a Tele to shoot pano's is easier as there is less distortion on the sides. Imagine all the distortions and how WOULD you be able to stitch them together easily?

Because of the more extensive de-distortion by the stitching software involved in processing the wide angle shots, you will need more area of overlap in the shots. For telephotos you can get away with less overlap.

You are more likely to get away with making panoramas with a 200mm telephoto without shooting at nodal point than attempting one at say a 12mm without shooting at nodal point. Although most do not turn out too wierd.

You can probably even push your luck use your circular polarizer on a telephoto compared to a wide angle, but of course I would not recommended it.

Ryan
    Last edited by giantcanopy; 10th October 2008 at 07:46 PM.