Page 26 of 51 FirstFirst ... 162124252627283136 ... LastLast

Thread: EXPOSE yourself - XXVII

Default Re: EXPOSE yourself - XXVII

Quote Originally Posted by luna_sea83 View Post
    Don't forget he is MMM
    Oh ya hor!!!!!
    Dreams at Photoaid! Contact me, pls!

I respect your comments and take them for what you feel they are Leong.

I'm more than certain you know your own standards, and we all know that you were busy and distracted because you were sharing tips and pointers with so many others. Looking forward to seeing the works you're proud of ... and just give me a buzz if ever you need an extra pair of hands.

Just to add ... hmm ... is all macro work dependent on so much technicalities? What if some OOF or less DOF areas helps create a certain 'mood' or helps express an idea, instead of being just a stellar example of a technically perfect shot? Would such shots 'fail'?
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 13th October 2008 at 02:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leong23 View Post
    Something like this then is better....

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    I respect your comments and take them for what you feel they are Leong.

I'm more than certain you know your own standards, and we all know that you were busy and distracted because you were sharing tips and pointers with so many others. Looking forward to seeing the works you're proud of ... and just give me a buzz if ever you need an extra pair of hands.

Just to add ... hmm ... is all macro work dependent on so much technicalities? What if some OOF or less DOF areas helps create a certain 'mood' or helps express an idea, instead of being just a stellar example of a technically perfect shot? Would such shots 'fail'?
    No choice....that how the rule go about in this field....there are preferly less distraction taken off the focus from the main subject.
    Unless it is to serve some purposes, ie to create some mood like you had mentioned.

Btw, one method of shooting DF is to use wider aperture to melt the wing away.

Last edited by Leong23; 13th October 2008 at 03:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tupi Guy View Post
    Thanks.

No choice....that how the rule go about in the field....there are preferly less distraction taken off the focus from the main subject.
    Unless it is to serve some purposes, ie to create some mood like you had mentioned.

Btw, one method of shooting DF is to use wider aperture to melt the wing away.

Ahh, I see. It's mostly about technical perfection. And some leeway for mood or creative shots.

Wah Liew ... larkily I not into field and insect macros! If not have to sell away lenses and get the Canon L macro 180 lens liao! LOLZ! But I think the dedicated macro only Zuikos on bellows will out-perform most other lenses liao, except mabbie the German legends.
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 13th October 2008 at 03:14 AM.

Ahh, I see. It's mostly about technical perfection. And some leeway for mood or creative shots.

Wah Liew ... larkily I not into field and insect macros! If not have to sell away lenses and get the Canon L macro 180 lens liao! LOLZ!
    Creative and Composition is important too, but technical perfection is heavier weighted.

All my shots are actually not very creative, unlike one of my senior, many of his shots are well balance in both the technical and creative.

Btw, the trip is still very enjoyable mainly because of the great time we spend together laughing and laughing along.

But I think the dedicated macro only Zuikos on bellows will out-perform most other lenses liao, except mabbie the German legends.
    The CZ 100mmf/2 macro have very good reviews, but it can only achieve 1:2 life size instead of 1:1.

Creative and Composition is important too, but technical perfection is heavier weighted.

All my shots are actually not very creative, unlike one of my senior, many of his shots are well balance in both the technical and creative.

Btw, the trip is still very enjoyable mainly because of the great time we spend together laughing and laughing along.
    u just being too humble. Me have none of it above.

sorry to cut in

but technicalities, as trivial as they seem are effectively the ground base to build everything else on. not just for macro photography for example, you can only find someone who can break the rules properly when he knows the rules (or guides per se) inside out. everything else, i attribute to luck.

the same actually goes for landscapes (horizon tilted, depth of field), portraits (eyes not in focus, distracting background), abstracts, the list goes on.

ok, outta here now.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    sorry to cut in

but technicalities, as trivial as they seem are effectively the ground base to build everything else on. not just for macro photography for example, you can only find someone who can break the rules properly when he knows the rules (or guides per se) inside out. everything else, i attribute to luck.

the same actually goes for landscapes (horizon tilted, depth of field), portraits (eyes not in focus, distracting background), abstracts, the list goes on.

ok, outta here now.
    WOW.... another MASTER here ah!!!!

sorry to cut in

ok, outta here now.

sorry to cut in

ok, outta here now.

sorry to cut in

ok, outta here now.
    Hey thanks for sharing that NM.

I don't disagree, and in fact, many of the guys (and gals) often hear me bemoan the fact that so many photographers nowadays don't even know the basics of light (or bother enough to want to know, which to me is the height of irony if their chosen discipline is photography as most of us know it to be, using the visible spectrum of light, unless one's craft involves electron-micrography or work in the non-visible spectrum), let alone other aspects of the craft, primarily because the cameras does so much of the thinking for them nowadays. Or they adopt the attitude of, 'any problem later can photoshop liao!'!

One Thai photographer I worked with was so meticulous that he spent over two hours lighting one single dish, and it was just for a catalogue shot. That studio, had a TEAM of about 4 or 5 DI artists who could easily have done what the photographer did in post. Later when I spoke with him privately, I found out that he was well aware of what could be done in post, but he took it upon himself as a benchmark of professionalism and technical abilities to deliver at least 95% of the shot, and the remaining 5% he left to post.

I don't decry the foundational aspects of any art, lest one that is perhaps intrinsically grounded more in technical aspects than some others (very subjective). And I understand the meaning of what one calligraphy Master once said, (loosely) that (in order for an artist to soar,) he (the aspiring artist) must first be chained to the ground, and learn how to walk, then climb, before he can learn to fly.

I hope what I said in my earlier post did not give the impression that I trivialize the importance of technicalities, whatsoever.

Apolgies NM, so maniee edits. I'm not as prolific as before at writing. I'll wager a bet that ... I ... have been one, relatively lucky GWBBAG (Guy With Black Box And Glass)! ;-)
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 13th October 2008 at 04:05 AM.

Hogay late liao I go shllep!

BAI BAI!

alamak........ never ending story.......

Went to the SIPF exhibitions and saw many interesting stuff........

And best part was, heard so many "funny" critics etc........... As i always believe no one can please everybody.

o hai sup
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

I eat until explode tonight.

I did a lot of SEM and TEM in my final year at uni. It was quite fun and relaxing sitting in the darkened air-conditioned room for hours and hours.
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

Oh Hai Hai!

SEM and TEM ah? Could stand for a lot of things ... some not too mentionable in genteel company!

Di it have anything to do with visions of Purple?

Good morning gonna leave for work soon.... yesterday was certainly good.... nice seeing you guys again....
    Question: Have you seen 3 Exposers jump simultaneously before?

Page 26 of 51 FirstFirst ... 162124252627283136 ... LastLast