Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Using a monopod for overheads

Default Re: Using a monopod for overheads

Quote Originally Posted by Headshotzx View Post
    Hey guys, just thought of something.

In everything we photographers shoot, we always try to find a different angle on things.

What I realise from shooting all my school events and looking at "stylo"-posed CCA group photos is that it's always always aaalllways at eye level or lower.

I might seem silly, but how would a camera put on a monopod with a cable-shutter with or without liveview sound like to get that extra height and perspective? Would it be totally dangerous and stupid if I were to try that? That is, put 2kg of equipment and hold the monopod up near the bottom of the legs and then shoot.

It's kind of like having Yao Ming on a step ladder, without him actually blocking the event.

Comments?
    If its a posed shot, then why not prepare a tall ladder in the first place? Able to compose properly.

Not exactly easy to control shaking when holding a 2kg weight at the end of a monopod.

Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    If its a posed shot, then why not prepare a tall ladder in the first place? Able to compose properly.

Not exactly easy to control shaking when holding a 2kg weight at the end of a monopod.
    You can't bring a tall ladder to shoot events, and that's what I've been shooting for quite some time already.
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Headshotzx View Post
    You can't bring a tall ladder to shoot events, and that's what I've been shooting for quite some time already.
    Oh, you are referring to events. I thought you meant posed group shots.

Well then, without any vantage grounds, the monopod might be an option, but the focusing might be a hit and miss affair.

Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    Oh, you are referring to events. I thought you meant posed group shots.

Well then, without any vantage grounds, the monopod might be an option, but the focusing might be a hit and miss affair.
    Yeap, I understand. I posted the exact same question over at the POTN forums and one of them suggested the Zigview from UK-- A little live-video capture device that mounts onto the Canon / Nikon / Sony viewfinder clips. Pretty nifty, but it's quite expensive, so maybe blind shooting with a WA would be the most ideal.
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    Can agar agar what. In any case (refer to the picture in post #2) with the camera at this angle, you cannot see the screen; having live view or not is a moot point.
    Can, switch to E3 loh

It's not to hard shooting blind.
    If you have shot with your camera for a while you will know your viewfinder in your head.
    If you do miss a shot make sure you shoot with a large aperture to have a deeper DOF.
    Set one point, and shoot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12