Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: Using a monopod for overheads

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    5,629

    Default Using a monopod for overheads

    Hey guys, just thought of something.

    In everything we photographers shoot, we always try to find a different angle on things.

    What I realise from shooting all my school events and looking at "stylo"-posed CCA group photos is that it's always always aaalllways at eye level or lower.

    I might seem silly, but how would a camera put on a monopod with a cable-shutter with or without liveview sound like to get that extra height and perspective? Would it be totally dangerous and stupid if I were to try that? That is, put 2kg of equipment and hold the monopod up near the bottom of the legs and then shoot.

    It's kind of like having Yao Ming on a step ladder, without him actually blocking the event.

    Comments?
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

  2. #2

    Default Re: Using a monopod for overheads

    Did you get this off Guy Rhodes?

    If not, here is a link to a photo of him using something just like what you are talking about.

    http://www.guyrhodes.com/blog/upload...dit-761687.jpg

    The 'stick camera'. That does look like a monopod and he is using a pocket wizard to shoot. Any 3rd party trigger would do. I have been using phottix for a while and they make fantastic triggers.

    I don't know how he is supporting that weight though. Doesn't look like he is using to much force to hold that up with his right hand.

    I think its just abit of experimenting. Just like every thing in photography.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    5,629

    Default Re: Using a monopod for overheads

    Quote Originally Posted by geeteethree View Post
    Did you get this off Guy Rhodes?

    If not, here is a link to a photo of him using something just like what you are talking about.

    http://www.guyrhodes.com/blog/upload...dit-761687.jpg

    The 'stick camera'. That does look like a monopod and he is using a pocket wizard to shoot. Any 3rd party trigger would do. I have been using phottix for a while and they make fantastic triggers.

    I don't know how he is supporting that weight though. Doesn't look like he is using to much force to hold that up with his right hand.

    I think its just abit of experimenting. Just like every thing in photography.
    Wow, exactly what I was envisioning. Great to see someone actually doing it. I'm thinking a wired / radio shutter release would be better cos of autofocus.

    EDIT: Wait a minute. Is he wearing a light blue cape?!
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

  4. #4

    Default Re: Using a monopod for overheads

    Yep all Phottix products can focus. Wireless to!

    Pocket wizards, what he is using costs about 600$$ sg and are ilegal in singapore.

    But the 3rd party trigger's can autofocus and are just 50$ for the set!
    Great deal

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    5,629

    Default Re: Using a monopod for overheads

    Quote Originally Posted by geeteethree View Post
    Yep all Phottix products can focus. Wireless to!

    Pocket wizards, what he is using costs about 600$$ sg and are ilegal in singapore.

    But the 3rd party trigger's can autofocus and are just 50$ for the set!
    Great deal
    Yes I know what PWs are, I'm a strobist

    I'll think hard about this. Seems like having a longer monopod would be ideal too (if not a little too difficult to handle). I'll get the yongnuo shutter release from JLphoto.
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

  6. #6

    Default Re: Using a monopod for overheads

    mm well monopods are mostly pretty long, just make sure its stable
    don't want to be dropping your gear.
    And again cannot have to many sections because it will effect the stability.

    Good luck ; )

  7. #7

    Default Re: Using a monopod for overheads

    Heh heh, was thinking something the same too! RF trigger is a good idea.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    5,629

    Default Re: Using a monopod for overheads

    Ah. Havta look at a few nice monopods then. What's a good recommendation mainly for these shots? I'm thinking a Manfrotto 681B +/- tilt head (dangerous or not?) and the Phottix/Yongnuo Radio Trigger (with autofocus and all that). 160cm + 165cm (my height =X) = 3m give or take for all the tilting and stuff.
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

  9. #9

    Default Re: Using a monopod for overheads

    Hmm. It would be good to have some sort of fail safe, as dropping would be a real problem, especially as your eq is not company issued =\

    And thats not a cape, its one of those photographer bibs

    My old sec school used to always have benches/tables and such around the sports areas. Try deploying a tripod (if you have one) on the table, and shoot remotely?
    Meow!

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    5,629

    Default Re: Using a monopod for overheads

    Quote Originally Posted by GavinTing View Post
    Hmm. It would be good to have some sort of fail safe, as dropping would be a real problem, especially as your eq is not company issued =\

    And thats not a cape, its one of those photographer bibs

    My old sec school used to always have benches/tables and such around the sports areas. Try deploying a tripod (if you have one) on the table, and shoot remotely?
    Huh? How is the last point relevant to using a a monopod for overheads? I don't mean shooting remotely, I just mean taking the camera to another angle as and when I want. But yes, dropping it would be a problem. It might even crack a few skulls as it drops. Seriously though, would I want a monopod head with this? Im assuming there are QR tilt heads for monopods?
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

  11. #11

    Default Re: Using a monopod for overheads

    this is the kind of situation where the weight of a dSLR is at a disadvantage..

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    1į25'10.16"N 103į50'11.01"E
    Posts
    1,052

    Default Re: Using a monopod for overheads

    Then, how do you shot? You won't know what you are shooting with a 400D, without liveview.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,597

    Default Re: Using a monopod for overheads

    Quote Originally Posted by ArcticFox View Post
    Then, how do you shot? You won't know what you are shooting with a 400D, without liveview.
    Can agar agar what. In any case (refer to the picture in post #2) with the camera at this angle, you cannot see the screen; having live view or not is a moot point.
    Last edited by calebk; 10th October 2008 at 01:15 AM.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Using a monopod for overheads

    Quote Originally Posted by J-Chan View Post
    this is the kind of situation where the weight of a dSLR is at a disadvantage..
    Yeah. I can't remember where I read it, but it was about a pro taking some shots with a G9 mounted on a kite or something.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Using a monopod for overheads

    there was a pentax mounted on a weather balloon iirc. not sure how he triggered the shutter though.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Using a monopod for overheads

    go for it headshot! would love to see some shots of tat..
    try taking it in orchard mrt and etc..crowded places..ppl will be looking up at ur camera.

    fresh!

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Singapore, east-ish
    Posts
    2,291

    Default Re: Using a monopod for overheads

    Quote Originally Posted by Pokka View Post
    go for it headshot! would love to see some shots of tat..
    try taking it in orchard mrt and etc..crowded places..ppl will be looking up at ur camera.

    fresh!
    yea! upz for you!

    and DON'T drop!!!

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    5,629

    Default Re: Using a monopod for overheads

    Quote Originally Posted by kandinsky View Post
    Yeah. I can't remember where I read it, but it was about a pro taking some shots with a G9 mounted on a kite or something.
    That video was featured on strobist.com-- they were pre-wedding portrait photographers at the beach.

    Street shooting with it? Must be mad haha, but it'll definitely get you good eye contact with a wide angle.
    Last edited by Headshotzx; 10th October 2008 at 02:28 PM.
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

  19. #19
    Senior Member CS TAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,663

    Default Re: Using a monopod for overheads

    Quote Originally Posted by Headshotzx View Post
    Ah. Havta look at a few nice monopods then. What's a good recommendation mainly for these shots? I'm thinking a Manfrotto 681B +/- tilt head (dangerous or not?) and the Phottix/Yongnuo Radio Trigger (with autofocus and all that). 160cm + 165cm (my height =X) = 3m give or take for all the tilting and stuff.
    Perhaps a Gitzo GM3550 5-section monopod?

  20. #20

    Default Re: Using a monopod for overheads

    Would 5 sections be stable enough?
    I think best way of deciding would be to actually test one out.
    Go to Cathay, and just play around with some of the monopods, tripods there.
    No need to buy, but will just let yo have a feel of what your looking at

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •