Thread: Any sense to get a 18-55mm VR when I already got the 18-55mm Kit lens (Nikon D50 kit)

Default Any sense to get a 18-55mm VR when I already got the 18-55mm Kit lens (Nikon D50 kit)

Hi all

Much appreciate views on the above. Any compelling reasons to get the newer 15-55mm VR when I already have the kit lens that came with my D50 (no VR)?

Default Re: Any sense to get a 18-55mm VR when I already got the 18-55mm Kit lens (Nikon D50

Perhaps you can ask yourself the question, the shots you take so far do they suffer from blurness due to handshake?

Usually, VR is not really essential in such a (relatively) wide lens, but if having VR is the only way you can compensate for the blurness, then you have your answer.

Default Re: Any sense to get a 18-55mm VR when I already got the 18-55mm Kit lens (Nikon D50

personally, no cos i'd prefer to spend the $$$ on sth else

But you should be listening to yourself!

why do you need the 18-55 VR, there are lots of 18-105mm going at a bargain on the BnS section. Seems a better alternative to the 18-55mm

Cheers
    Last edited by h2chng; 8th October 2008 at 10:40 AM.

i think your 18-55 is capable enough for what it's worth.. no point getting the VR version.. if you need a walkaround lens that has VR i'd recommend the 18-200 over the 18-105 (which somehow i feel falls short of being a telephoto)..

though of course the $$ difference is there too.. ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by ssping83 View Post
    i think your 18-55 is capable enough for what it's worth.. no point getting the VR version.. if you need a walkaround lens that has VR i'd recommend the 18-200 over the 18-105 (which somehow i feel falls short of being a telephoto)..

though of course the $$ difference is there too.. ^_^
    Quote Originally Posted by h2chng View Post
    why do you need the 18-55 VR, there are lots of 18-105mm going at a bargain on the BnS section. Seems a better alternative to the 18-55mm

Cheers

Thanks for all the replies! Been using my 18-200mm VR the last 3 years but really heavy for most of my indoor shots. My original 18-55mm seems to have quite a lot of focusing issues - not sure if the VR version is better in this regard.

Focusing issues depends more on focusing techniques and correct hand holding of the camera so even vr wouldnt be able to help in this aspect. Basically it only reduce the effects of shaky hands. normally 18-55 shooting situations wont require vr. i say skip the vr and save the money for better lens or others.

if is cheaper now, why not?
    i'll change mine ED-II to the vr version, so far no problem.
    the vr does help making it more suitable in low light conditons when using handheld.

Quote Originally Posted by reeflobang View Post
    Thanks for all the replies! Been using my 18-200mm VR the last 3 years but really heavy for most of my indoor shots. My original 18-55mm seems to have quite a lot of focusing issues - not sure if the VR version is better in this regard.
    I also using D50. It really have some silly issue with the AF using the kit 18-50 len. which i think is a "normal" thing. But from what i see, not point in buying a VR 18-50mm, be cos the focus issue can be easily settle by using MF