Thread: Post F1 Marina Area

Default Post F1 Marina Area

I took this photo while strolling along the Marina Area a few days after the F1 race ended.

This photo was taken in the evening (around 7pm).

I slanted the angle on purpose to create a more 'horizontal' line, giving it a sense of sky-earth horizon/division effect.

Wanted to portray a cold and lonely feel, like how quiet and 'forgotten' the place is after F1, almost like a dead/deserted town feel. Hence, the choice of empty stands, and metal as the main subject against a darkening sky.

Did some editing in PS to increase the contrast (esp for the sky).

I'm still new to photography, so would appreciate any comments on how to improve. Thanks!

Default Re: Post F1 Marina Area

'Wanted to portray a cold and lonely feel, like how quiet and 'forgotten' the place is after F1, almost like a dead/deserted town feel.' ask yourself, have this feeling been achieved?
    the composition here didn't worked for me to portray this 'cold, lonely, quiet and 'forgotten' feel basically because, the shot isn't wide enough to see that the stands were empty. if you have included the race track together with the empty stands, yes, a 'cold, lonely, quiet and 'forgotten' message might have been conveyed.
    'against a darkening sky' is a good idea to portray this kinda feelings. but it just doesn't work for me here...

my 2 cents worth

hi,

good attempt, but i would consider a frontal shot of the empty grandstands with cars vrooming past to create that empty sad look. All this against the blue sky.

Can apply HDR to make picture brighter.

my humble 2 cents.
    time stands still when you hear my click.
    SONY 18-70mm /70-300mm/50mm f1.7

thanks for the feedback.

Did think about frontal shot, but the truth is there are pple and cars all over, so it definitely won't look deserted, unless i took a late night shot.

The idea I had was to be able to get on the stands itself and shoot a bottom-up view of the empty seats with sky as backdrop, but it's cordoned off and the workers were dismantling the stands.

Seems like it failed in portraying a deserted feel. Will try harder next time!

Quote Originally Posted by jaLib0y View Post
    hi,

good attempt, but i would consider a frontal shot of the empty grandstands with cars vrooming past to create that empty sad look. All this against the blue sky.

Can apply HDR to make picture brighter.

my humble 2 cents.
    HDR does not make an image brighter per se. It expands the limited dynamic range that you can achieve with a single image.

Quote Originally Posted by darkroom View Post
    thanks for the feedback.

Did think about frontal shot, but the truth is there are pple and cars all over, so it definitely won't look deserted, unless i took a late night shot.

The idea I had was to be able to get on the stands itself and shoot a bottom-up view of the empty seats with sky as backdrop, but it's cordoned off and the workers were dismantling the stands.

Seems like it failed in portraying a deserted feel. Will try harder next time!
    hey hey. don get disheartened. you never know... someone out there might love this shot. everyone has different perspectives.

keep shooting!

Deregistered

i like the patterns but no post F1 mood leh..

Suggestion;
    try to get the subject in relation to its surroundings to tell more story in a single shot.
    It might just look like another scaffolding at a construction site.

Keep shooting~
    Already abused my D40 and D80 for my flickr

I love this shot
    Having expensive gears do not make you a better photographer. Period.