Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Starbucks bosses claim the constant flow of water stops germs breeding in the taps

Default Re: Starbucks bosses claim the constant flow of water stops germs breeding in the tap

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    It's true. But before you jump on the gun, do you have any better ideas for them?

Seriously, I dun think anyone does...
    I thought the chlorine in the water is supposed to kill the germs already? A better idea would be just not to be plain lazy and turn off the tap after use. I believe they use enough water each day to prevent bacteria buildup anyway. Just a lame excuse to leave the water running. Duh! Anyway, bacteria can only breed if there is contamination. If they don't contaminate the taps, they should be clean. I'm not a bio expert but I do believe plain water should not have enough food for the bacteria to grow.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 7th October 2008 at 05:15 PM.

Default Re: Starbucks bosses claim the constant flow of water stops germs breeding in the tap

Quote Originally Posted by zcf View Post
    they can have more spare spoons and group together and wash together? Rather than wash individually?
    The spoons are about 2 or 3 only... They just place them into the metal container and let the water drip into the container constantly... Just go to the outlets and you can see it.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    I thought the chlorine in the water is supposed to kill the germs already? A better idea would be just not to be plain lazy and turn off the tap after use. I believe they use enough water each day to prevent bacteria buildup anyway. Just a lame excuse to leave the water running. Duh!
    Mebbe for SG. Wat about the other parts?
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Mebbe for SG. Wat about the other parts?
    It's a WHO requirement.... and I believe we're talking about the almighty US... which should be a 'more advanced' country than SG. If they claim they only do it in countries where you don't get such a grade of potable water, then maybe they have a reason for doing so because the water would probably have not been treated that much anyway. What's the purpose of treating water then?
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 7th October 2008 at 05:18 PM.

It's a WHO requirement.
    You sure they are so religious about it?
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

You sure they are so religious about it?
    I believe the water companies there would not want to get sued.

so they use recycled tissue paper and cup
    but trow away clean water?

Quote Originally Posted by tirza View Post
    so they use recycled tissue paper and cup
    but trow away clean water?
    It's not exactly clean... the water is used to clean the utensils.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Hold It !!!

now i know why their coffee expensive.....coz we are paying for the running taps not for the beans !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!
    Last edited by ninelives; 8th October 2008 at 12:31 AM.
    Objection !!!

I always scold my child for wasting waters, telling them water is precious, now starbucks acting like that......will not drink their coffe anymore.
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

More update, Spinelli is doing the same thing also, although they do tuen the tap off when not in use.
    http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_287209.html
    Starbucks' taps left running
    Taps left running all day at coffee chain known for its 'green' philosophy

AN INTERNATIONAL coffee chain known for its environmentally friendly position has come under fire for wasting millions of litres of water every day by leaving taps running all the time in its outlets, including those in Singapore.

Coffee chain Starbucks, which has 10,000 cafes worldwide, was roundly criticised by environmentalists when British tabloid The Sun broke a story on Monday about its practice of leaving a tap running behind each service counter.

The constant flow of fresh water runs into a basin known as a dipper well, which is used for washing utensils.
    Starbucks Coffee Singapore marketing manager Ruth Yam confirmed that it is the corporation's policy to use a dipper well at all its outlets, including the 57 in Singapore.
    She said: 'It keeps utensils clean and prevents bacterial growth, ensuring we meet or exceed our own and local health standards.'
    Criticism has been especially scathing because of Starbucks' support of the green movement, with its use of recycled packing materials and encouragement to customers to use tumblers instead of disposable cups.
    Mr Peter Robinson, of British environmental charity Waste Watch, told The Sun: 'Leaving taps running all day is a shocking waste of precious water. And to claim you are doing it for health and safety reasons is bonkers.'
    A check with other popular coffee chains showed that at least one other, Spinelli Coffee Company, uses the same system. The United States chain runs 33 outlets in Singapore, China and Indonesia.
    Spinelli's master coffee roaster Ross Bright said that the constant running water in a dipper well clears away all milk residue and prevents bacterial growth.
    He said that staff are instructed to turn the water off when the dipper well is not being used.
    British water companies and environmental groups have called the practice 'wasteful' and 'unnecessary' as it reportedly leads to 23.4 million litres of water trickling down the drains every day at Starbucks outlets worldwide.
    A spokesman for Singapore's National Environment Agency also noted that running water does not remove micro-organisms adhering to utensils, which should be washed with soap and water instead.
    Starbucks' Ms Yam said that the company realises the issue needs 'immediate attention' and is looking for solutions to minimise water use while complying with food safety regulatory requirements.
    Foochow Coffee Restaurant and Bar Merchants Association chairman Hong Poh Hin said it is not the practice here to leave taps on.
    'If you want to make sure the utensils are cleaned thoroughly, after washing them with soap, you can soak them in a basin filled with water,' he said.
    Singapore Environment Council executive director Howard Shaw called the use of the dipper well 'a most unsatisfactory practice'.
    He said: 'Taps do not need to be left running all the time to prevent the accumulation of bacteria. Neither is it guaranteed that doing so will purge the bacteria from the pipes.'
    Consumers agreed that leaving a tap on was wasteful but were not about to stop patronising Starbucks for that reason.
    Public relations consultant Danny Tan, 25, said he had seen taps running at Chinese restaurants and hawker stalls but felt that Starbucks had come under criticism as it is a big corporation which preaches environmentally conscious behaviour.
    He said: 'Starbucks is not practising what it preaches. But I choose to get my coffee there because it tastes good and not because it is environmentally friendly.' ameltan@sph.com.sg
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

i am sticking to Ya Kun!

oh no! i'm drinking contaminated water everyday!!! i don't drink boiled water at home. i drink from the tap... siao already
    Mythbusters - the bigger the explosion, the better it is.

Quote Originally Posted by mohgui View Post
    oh no! i'm drinking contaminated water everyday!!! i don't drink boiled water at home. i drink from the tap... siao already
    u 魔鬼 wat... fear wat?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

I wonder if starbucks does change its policy, and the hygiene standards drop, and worst case food poisoning case, wonder who's heads will roll? Definitely not the consumers who are complaining. I feel there's no end to complaints, even if there are solutions, there would be other problems.
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

Using the freshest tap water is one of the tricks of the trade in this trade with western coffee.

Local coffee stalls do not need to practice such as the requirement is different.

Honestly, while we harp at such practices, it is consumers that demand for such qualities or standards. We pay for the premium because we are after such products.

For eg, mcdonalds used to trash away fries every 5 minutes. Until today, we still demand freshly fried stuff and would complain once it gets too soft. The crew would happily swop and throw away the soft fries for new ones.

So, if we want them to change, we have to accept the compromise. By then, do we still want to pay for the premium? Chicken and egg problem.

I thought the chlorine in the water is supposed to kill the germs already? A better idea would be just not to be plain lazy and turn off the tap after use. I believe they use enough water each day to prevent bacteria buildup anyway. Just a lame excuse to leave the water running. Duh! Anyway, bacteria can only breed if there is contamination. If they don't contaminate the taps, they should be clean. I'm not a bio expert but I do believe plain water should not have enough food for the bacteria to grow.
    Bacteria is everywhere. When it is multiplying by the millions every few minutes, food poisoning results.

To say it is due to bacteria count is not the full truth. It has to do with the taste consumers are after. Besides, after boiling the water at over 90deg celcius, most of the germs would not survive.

Quote Originally Posted by contaxable View Post
    So, if we want them to change, we have to accept the compromise. By then, do we still want to pay for the premium? Chicken and egg problem.
    precisely...this is wat i wanna say, but in short, crisp manner. thanks! Im bit chong-hei sometimes...haaa
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

wasting precious water den passing the cost to cunsumers is not a viable business practise. i have yet to get tummy upset even if the water i drink from is not flowing all the time, & not even boiled. they maight as well buy premium bottled water for their cuppa. i am sure that water make their cuppa taste even betta!

They are making cups and cups of coffee each time, so how do you clean those spoons constantly? I wish I have a better idea as well...

So does anyone?
    No need spoonds lah.

Use forefinger to stir coffee like when we were kids time.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast