Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Starbucks bosses claim the constant flow of water stops germs breeding in the taps

Default Starbucks bosses claim the constant flow of water stops germs breeding in the taps

Can't believe this happened , it may be true, but is it worth it? When most of the world are crying for more clean water supply, Singapore even build more water reserve. Wonder they do it in local or not
    http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_286920.html
    Quote Originally Posted by www.straitstimes.com
    Starbucks in hot water
    STARBUCKS has landed itself in hot water after environmental experts discovered that the American coffee shop chain is pouring millions of litres of precious water down the drain at its coffee shops every day.

The giant coffee chain has a policy of keeping a tap running non-stop at all its 10,000 outlets worldwide, wasting 23.4 million litres a day. That would provide enough daily water for the entire two million-strong population of drought-hit Namibia in Africa or fill an Olympic pool every 83 minutes, said media reports.
    Starbucks bosses claim the constant flow of water stops germs breeding in the taps.
    Starbucks has built up a massive chain, popular with coffee drinkers from Hollywood stars to builders, and proudly boasts of its work for the environment. But water companies accused the firm of harming the environment by frittering away a vital natural resource. And the claim that running taps are needed for hygiene reasons was dismissed by experts as 'nonsense'.
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

Default Re: Starbucks bosses claim the constant flow of water stops germs breeding in the tap

It is true actually... But how do you expect them to wash the spoons constantly?
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Default Re: Starbucks bosses claim the constant flow of water stops germs breeding in the tap

i dun see the need...so the spoons and forks i cleaned at home are not hygiene liao ??
    蓮花仙子

Quote Originally Posted by LOTUSfairy View Post
    i dun see the need...so the spoons and forks i cleaned at home are not hygiene liao ??
    They are making cups and cups of coffee each time, so how do you clean those spoons constantly? I wish I have a better idea as well...

So does anyone?
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

soak in hot water?

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    They are making cups and cups of coffee each time, so how do you clean those spoons constantly? I wish I have a better idea as well...

So does anyone?
    use plastic spoons, used already so throw it away.
    Nikon D300s|D80|11-16 f2.8|17-50 f2.8|70-200 f2.8|35 f1.8|SB800|

Quote Originally Posted by ziincx View Post
    Is that economically viable? Plus, i dun think you want to use plastics for brewing coffee.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

How about collect the leftover water and FedEx it to Africa? Should pacify critics
    Canon EOS 30D , EF 17-40mm F4L USM , EF-S 55-250mm F/4-5.6 IS

this harms environment more than the water does...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by eosdigital View Post
    How about collect the leftover water and FedEx it to Africa? Should pacify critics
    mebbe the critics should cough up money for such recycling ideas....
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Is this really true for the local stores as well? If so, I am going to boycott them!!!

To put things in perspective.

Starbucks operates world-wide... you can't say Sg that tap water is world-wide adopted standard.

However, that being said, to implement it in Sg dosen't make business sense too.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Quote Originally Posted by tan131 View Post
    Is this really true for the local stores as well? If so, I am going to boycott them!!!
    It's true. But before you jump on the gun, do you have any better ideas for them?

Seriously, I dun think anyone does...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    It's true. But before you jump on the gun, do you have any better ideas for them?

Seriously, I dun think anyone does...
    Well, better idea base on? There ASSumption of running water cleanses the pipes? In SG? I'm sorry but cost of water including purification process, is partly subsidised by the government and guess who pays for the subsidy?

Instead of Starbucks asking ppl for ideas, why not Starbucks accredit their claims instead?

reminds me of tis...

Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by tan131 View Post
    Well, better idea base on? There ASSumption of running water cleanses the pipes? In SG? I'm sorry but cost of water including purification process, is partly subsidised by the government and guess who pays for the subsidy?

Instead of Starbucks asking ppl for ideas, why not Starbucks accredit their claims instead?
    On cleaning the utensils constantly...

I believe the stupid pipe line was a stupid answer anyway. But I know cleaning the spoons each time after use will definitely use up more water than the drip method.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

That's going to be less friendly than wasting water. At least for water, it's a natural cycle.. they eventually evaporate, rises, condenses, form clouds and precipitates in the form or rain and snow.... plastic..... erm... I don't know..

they can have more spare spoons and group together and wash together? Rather than wash individually?
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

Quote Originally Posted by zcf View Post
    they can have more spare spoons and group together and wash together? Rather than wash individually?
    btw, they wash individually? or they use a dish washer or some sort?

Quote Originally Posted by eosdigital View Post
    I think the fuel burnt for the shipment does more harm to the environment as well.. Don't act smart and defy mother nature..

Same for the so called 'bio-friendly' waste treatment used in some toilets.. They stink!! What can be more friendly than the natural water cycle, tested and proven for million of years? Introduce more untested, unproven but claimed to be 'bio-friendly'... Seriously, I don't know.. just some chemical firms out to make a fast buck out there?...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast