Thread: Samsung Innov8 camera phone - leading the megapixel misconception

Default Samsung Innov8 camera phone - leading the megapixel misconception

The Samsung Innov8 camera phone was recently launched to much hype and fanfare (i assume). One of its key features is its 8 megapixel resolution.
    That's all fine, until some radio personality makes a comment that with so many megapixels, he can just junk his digital camera, since the Innov8 can take 'BETTER' pictures. This is what I consider deceptive advertising, since it plays on the fact that a lot of people still associate "More Megapixels = More picture quality"...

This is simply a slap in the face of people (like me) who have invested in a DSLR. My friends end up making comments like "camera phones have more megapixels than D40" and so on. Sigh, it's frustrating trying to educate them...
    Exploring! :)

Default Re: Samsung Innov8 camera phone - leading the megapixel misconception

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    The Samsung Innov8 camera phone was recently launched to much hype and fanfare (i assume). One of its key features is its 8 megapixel resolution.
    That's all fine, until some radio personality makes a comment that with so many megapixels, he can just junk his digital camera, since the Innov8 can take 'BETTER' pictures. This is what I consider deceptive advertising, since it plays on the fact that a lot of people still associate "More Megapixels = More picture quality"...

This is simply a slap in the face of people (like me) who have invested in a DSLR. My friends end up making comments like "camera phones have more megapixels than D40" and so on. Sigh, it's frustrating trying to educate them...
    think its on Class 95 rite...

they're paid to advertise... can't blame them... its marketing.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Why should you care what your friends think. Let them have their day in the sun. You go off and enjoy your DSLR. When the time comes to compare pictures, they WILL notice the difference!
    Last edited by seankyh; 7th October 2008 at 02:11 PM.

I wouldn't bother. Let others think otherwise. My old 6mp 300D still takes fantastic photos for me.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

Arrow Re: Samsung Innov8 camera phone - leading the megapixel misconception

Why not ?

I didn't see many PNS and DSLR while in Japan and most of the Japanese were snapping photos happily with their keitai/handphone.

Well, lets just say with nanotechnology hp camera has the potential to overtake PnS performance, and im already using it as a companion to my dSLR where it's inpractical to take it out i.e space constraint
    Canon EOS 30D , EF 17-40mm F4L USM , EF-S 55-250mm F/4-5.6 IS

The thing is that I dun expect to print 8R from my HP cam. why can't they just give us a better HP cam function like better WB, faster AF..etc.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Quote Originally Posted by xtemujin View Post
    Why not ?

I didn't see many PNS and DSLR while in Japan and most of the Japanese were snapping photos happily with their keitai/handphone.
    Well, as long as they enjoy their photos, there is nothing we can say. Not everybody expect top notch quality for their photos.

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    The thing is that I dun expect to print 8R from my HP cam. why can't they just give us a better HP cam function like better WB, faster AF..etc.
    well, thats the limit of our current technology, and nanotechnology

Speaking of, have u seen the WTD joke about the future camera? the one where it's inside the eye?
    Canon EOS 30D , EF 17-40mm F4L USM , EF-S 55-250mm F/4-5.6 IS

Maybe it is easier and cheaper to just add more megapixel than to improve the AF, WB or lenses

They dun need the size anyway... they just plain upload it to the web, facebook or watever where they view it at SMALL resolution anyway... so no difference to them.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    think its on Class 95 rite...

they're paid to advertise... can't blame them... its marketing.

only hear the GOOD stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by netidolweb View Post
    only hear the GOOD stuff...
    tot tat's GOLD 90.5.

Quote Originally Posted by xtemujin View Post
    Why not ?

but you have to admit that some japanese phones take pretty good pictures in good light ~
    chezburgr i can haz?

Maybe to save the image in RAW

Quote Originally Posted by seankyh View Post
    Maybe to save the image in RAW

RAW for wat?

Mabbe everyone likes sushi nowadays.

thanks for sharing your opinions guys... much appreciated.

Yes I first heard this on Class 95. I think G.O. brought only this hp cam to the F1 race. Wonder what he tried to shoot. If only the grid girls and the stationary cars at the pits, maybe ok.

I guess I'm just frustrated at all this 'megapixel' advertising... Just when people started coming around to the idea that other factors affecting image quality, along comes the current gen of 5 and 8-megapixel cams with advertising catchlines like "World's first x-megapixel.... crystal clear pictures..."

I'm probably just blabbering on... haha. Must shoot more and share more, let people "see the light" from my 'dark side' equipment...
    Exploring! :)

thanks for sharing your opinions guys... much appreciated.

Yes I first heard this on Class 95. I think G.O. brought only this hp cam to the F1 race. Wonder what he tried to shoot. If only the grid girls and the stationary cars at the pits, maybe ok.

I guess I'm just frustrated at all this 'megapixel' advertising... Just when people started coming around to the idea that other factors affecting image quality, along comes the current gen of 5 and 8-megapixel cams with advertising catchlines like "World's first x-megapixel.... crystal clear pictures..."

I'm probably just blabbering on... haha. Must shoot more and share more, let people "see the light" from my 'dark side' equipment...
    I totally agree.. But no choice.. So much technical jargon in cameras. People just look and say, more megapixels better. And as a camera manufaturer, if you choose not to follow this consumer trend, you will loose money. Can't really blame them.
    Meow!

Quote Originally Posted by eosdigital View Post
    well, thats the limit of our current technology, and nanotechnology

Speaking of, have u seen the WTD joke about the future camera? the one where it's inside the eye?
    and that is 64 terapixels.
    random equipment.
    where are my primes?