Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Composition in street photography

Default Re: Composition in street photography

A good set-up is important. But it doesn't help you in anyway to get a good composition.
    What's important is the person behind the camera. Train your eye it take years for
    some people and some are just born with it. Dun compare how good other people is.
    With years of hard work and reading I dun see why cant everyone cant get a good
    composition with the right timing on your pictures. Just my 3 cent.

Quote Originally Posted by eamesboy View Post
    A good set-up is important. But it doesn't help you in anyway to get a good composition.
    What's important is the person behind the camera. Train your eye it take years for
    some people and some are just born with it. Dun compare how good other people is.
    With years of hard work and reading I dun see why cant everyone cant get a good
    composition with the right timing on your pictures. Just my 3 cent.

Almost all of the best pictures I've seen are spontaneous shots. While it doesn't help composition as much, it matters in framing a subject. Especially with wider lens because of the distortion created in images where cropping won't help your framing as wide lens pushed something back, very much further back and just spoils the whole picture instead. There goes the frame.

Of course, best pictures in this term, is extremely subjective.

Truth is, anyone can take nice pictures, but the works of masters and hobbyists can't be compared.

Why is your opinion worth 1cent more than mine?

some suggestions for taking street photos...

1. look for an interesting-looking subject.
    2. wait for the interesting subject to do something interesting.
    3. preferably in front of an interesting background.
    4. and bathed in beautiful light.
    5. don't forget you have only a fraction of a fraction of the second to achieve 1-4, focus and shoot!

one thing for sure, street photography will definitely speed up your reflexes and train your eyes to achieve anticipatory peripheral vision.

Quote Originally Posted by zaren View Post
    some suggestions for taking street photos...

1. look for an interesting-looking subject.
    2. wait for the interesting subject to do something interesting.
    3. preferably in front of an interesting background.
    4. and bathed in beautiful light.
    5. don't forget you have only a fraction of a fraction of the second to achieve 1-4, focus and shoot!

one thing for sure, street photography will definitely speed up your reflexes and train your eyes to achieve anticipatory peripheral vision.

Which kind of makes me in awe of ppl like Henri Cartier Bresson. I use a rangefinder occasionally for street photography. And it isn't easy. By the time I focus, sometimes its too late. I know the trick is to "pre-focus" on a target area, and when someone walks by, or something interesting goes in, take the shot. But to produce such a fantastic portfolio using purely a rangefinder. Phew...amazing stuff
    Leica IIIa [Skopar 25mm, Jupiter 8, Industar 61, Jupiter 11,], canonetql17, Himatic7sII

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12