Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CanonVs.Nikon

Default Re: CanonVs.Nikon

Thanks. Will keep th e400mm in mind. I saw some using the Swaroski lense with and small cam attached to it. I think the Swaroski gan give 60x magnification. How would the shot using Swaroski different form say a DSLR with a 600mm lense?

Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    Good point to consider.

I am looking at 100mm macro lense or equivalent and also a 400 zoom. Any recommendation or comments.
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showp...&postcount=867

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showp...36&postcount=4

take your pick.... not much to recommend anyway.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    Thanks. Will keep th e400mm in mind. I saw some using the Swaroski lense with and small cam attached to it. I think the Swaroski gan give 60x magnification. How would the shot using Swaroski different form say a DSLR with a 600mm lense?
    AF, AF and AF.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Hi all,

I think my question started innocently and was told that this is the very sensitive issue.

Conon vs.Nikon was in my mind and ficklely changed by the minutes. I hope to get some comments here but I guess it is good to end this tread. I check the FAQ for Newbie section and pick up some pointers and it is good enough to lay this issue to rest. For the benefit of other newbie like me over this issue, I just cut and paste for your reference.

Cheers and thanks for all the help and comments and hope this end here as it is...

Nikon/Nikkor
    Discussion: (1)
    Main strength projected by some Nikon users
    - build quality
    - better LCD
    - good quality premium lens, e.g. Trinities
    - wide range of lenses
    - maintain body-lens compatibility for old Nikon lens users
    - flash system better than Canon
    - Service Centre needs more improvement
    - D40 the most affordable dslr (not regarding quality or value for money) in the market now

Main weakness projected by some Nikon users
    - poor stock control
    - ISO performance not as good as Canon
    - lack of inbuilt body vibration reduction mechanism
    - not having full frame alternatives.
    - Nikon service centre need to charge way cheaper.

Canon
    Discussion: (1)
    Main strength projected by some Canon users
    - full frame 5D available
    - superb CMOS sensors
    - good ISO performance and low noise
    - good white balance
    - fast AF
    - good quality premium lens, e.g. L lens
    - wide range of lenses
    - Biggest online community for error troubleshooting
    - Biggest secondhand market
    - More pro's (sports photographers, wedding photographers etc) use the system

Main weakness projected by some Canon users
    - ignore body-lens compatibility for old Canon lens users
    - build is not as good as Nikon
    - tendency to hold back features on lower end cameras even though they have the technology
    - lack of inbuilt body vibration reduction mechanism
    - pricing of lens is less competitive in Singapore than in other places, e.g. HK

By normal logical comparison, if a negative factor is found in both subjects of comparison, it's no more a disadvantage. In-built body IS/VR shouldn't be a draw-back.
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by DeSwitch View Post
    Minimum for birding is 400mm and believe me, you will never have enough reach even if you have 800mm. Ideally 600mm f4 is a good birding lens. You can start with canon 400f5.6L if you choose Canon system. Nikon's birding lens are more expensive but alternative 3rd party like Sigma are cheaper.
    Pardon me, but isn;t there like a telescopic adaptor for nikon's body? i meant that nikon have an adapter for it to connect to a nikon monoscope rite? i saw one in tampines courts on display, and the magnification of the scope is like...really really high, can see clear across the road to giant, and still looks sharp. would any nikon body + adaptor + the monoscope be a better birding setup?

+1 to close the thread... There's no end to it... Not in the past, not now, not likely in the future...
    I am NOT a PROfessional photographer and photography is NOT my hobby

Can debates be unbiased, in the first place? ROFL...

To the TS, if you're main issue is wild-life, you'll be better off scouting the prices and availability of lenses and teleconverters beyond 200-400mm in the first place, then decide on the body.

Quote Originally Posted by shiruikage View Post
    Pardon me, but isn;t there like a telescopic adaptor for nikon's body? i meant that nikon have an adapter for it to connect to a nikon monoscope rite? i saw one in tampines courts on display, and the magnification of the scope is like...really really high, can see clear across the road to giant, and still looks sharp. would any nikon body + adaptor + the monoscope be a better birding setup?
    You have to try that Digiscope setup in the field to understand. Birds do not stand there like the "Gaint" sign for you to slowly manual focus on. Very few ppl can get good images from digiscope. You also need very good lights to get clear images. Digiscope is good for Bird sighting but not Bird photography. Infact, you can attach any camera to the scope if you can find the right adaptor. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by DeSwitch View Post
    You have to try that Digiscope setup in the field to understand. Birds do not stand there like the "Gaint" sign for you to slowly manual focus on. Very few ppl can get good images from digiscope. You also need very good lights to get clear images. Digiscope is good for Bird sighting but not Bird photography. Infact, you can attach any camera to the scope if you can find the right adaptor. Cheers.
    ah...i see...looks like i've mistaken bird sighting to flying birds photography. my bad.

Thought this thread was supposed to end? Just by reading the title of this thread brings a bad impression and sent out a wrong message even though the TS means no harm...
    TS, u could choose a better suitable thread title next time...
    Last edited by andyX; 6th October 2008 at 02:04 AM.
    Climbharder Divedeeper|ScubaClimber
    WEST Shooterz

Exactly.

If one needs particular information for equipment for birding and/or macro, the thread title should reflect as such, and I'm sure more than enough assistance would be offered by ClubSnappers.

The "misleading" title was the reason why (and I'm sure the rest of the mods when they see it) I've stopped by to take a look.

Please people, leave out the "vs." tagline. It is confrontational, and more often than not, will invite fanboys of all ilk to entrench their "two cents worth".

Thanks for all the great comments.

Frankly, I haven't buy yet and was pondering over Canon or Nikon for the purpose of bird photography and macro.

I found some answer from this great website to ponder further with less confusion.

Perhaps it is good to move on from this sensitive vs. thingy.

Will ask more specific Q next time.

Thanks everyone and let's move on...

Cheers

Blog Entries

as requested by TS

let's move on

thread closed

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12