Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canon G9, Nikon P6000 or Panasonic Lumix LX3

Default Re: Canon G9, Nikon P6000 or Panasonic Lumix LX3

Quote Originally Posted by writing with light View Post
    Get the Canon Powershot S5! Just kidding.
    Personally, when I buy a camera, it would be to suit what kind of pictures I want to take.
    For e.g, if you like landscape, go for the LX3 because of its wide angle.
    As for the noise problem, I am not so sure. The pics posted here on CS look pretty fine to me. Unless I am really that pa jiao that I don't see the noise.
    And unless you really want to get serious about photography, I wouldn't really recommend a DSLR. No doubt that some of the entry level DSLRs are almost on par in terms of pricing with the prosumer compact models, I personally feel that one should get a DSLR for the flexibility of changing lenses, faster burst mode etc. And usually that arises when are person is a serious amateur.
    Just my 2 cents worth.
    Even pa jiao can see the noise at low ISO on the LX3.

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin86 View Post
    Hi Dennis, what do you mean by the above sentence? Can you elaborate on which is better in the landscape aspect and why?

I'm just curious, between these 3 cameras, which would you choose? I'm wondering if Canon G10 will be better than Panasonic LX3 if so maybe can wait a while.
    Well as mentioned if you take landscape you would already know 24mm and 35mm cannot be compared as equal period. Of the 3 I am bias towards the LX3 as I own one. To me the only criteria is the 24mm lens like I mentioned before any P&S with a 24mm and below lens will get me interested. As for G10 nobody can say anything as it is not released yet but base on specs and current latest Canon P&S model it should be pretty good. Be realistic when you want to use a P&S otherwise go straight to DSLR.
    Last edited by Dennis; 5th October 2008 at 08:45 PM.

Just to add my 2 cents worth, and before I begin let me state for the record that my order of preference would be LX3, G9 and P6000 in that order, and that I find that the LX3 performance is better than that of the G9 or P6000.

Regarding the sensor size, I got bad news for you. Yes the LX3 sensor is larger than the G9 and P6000, but not by much. In fact the sensor is only slightly bigger, maybe 10% at the most, which is tiny compared to DSLRs which are several times, even dozens of times, larger than compact camera sensor sizes.

So whats the bad news? Well the LX3 uses only 88% of the actual sensor for taking photographs. Which means if you do the math you'll find that the actual sensor used for taking photos on the LX3 and the G9 are the same.

So why the difference in photo quality? Well IMHO its due to the Leica lens and the larger aperture. If not for that then the photo quality would be the same...................

Quote Originally Posted by Parchiao View Post
    Even pa jiao can see the noise at low ISO on the LX3.
    Really? then I must be really pa jiao.
    Leica IIIa [Skopar 25mm, Jupiter 8, Industar 61, Jupiter 11,], canonetql17, Himatic7sII

you may want to look at this
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=29585999

if you intent to shoot jpeg, ixus 960IS seems to be a better solution
    if you shoot raw, Lx3 is fine.
    G9 is neither here nor there interms of feature/convinence...

do note the lens LX3 is much wider, it may not be as sharp as the one starts from 35mm is IXUS or G9

Quote Originally Posted by harnamsc View Post
    So whats the bad news? Well the LX3 uses only 88% of the actual sensor for taking photographs. Which means if you do the math you'll find that the actual sensor used for taking photos on the LX3 and the G9 are the same.
    I think it depends on what aspect ratio is used to take the pictures. 4:3 uses the full 10MP of the sensor if i remember the manual correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by bearSeesAll View Post
    do note the lens LX3 is much wider, it may not be as sharp as the one starts from 35mm is IXUS or G9
    Which is why the lens designer kept it short at 60mm. The G9 is a 6x zoom while the LX3 is a 2.5x zoom. The Leica reputation aside, the physics of making a lens puts it in the LX3's favour due to the shorter zoom range IMO.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12