Thread: advice on broadband svc

Default advice on broadband svc

Hi ppl,
    Wud like to know your views abt broadband svc. Which do u use? Pacnet, Singnet, etc? For those who've tried different providers, which in your opinion is the best? Singnet seems to have a host of fees and charges, even when you need to relocate! I'm thinking of signing up with one - I'm a light user, log on probably only twice a week, about 1 -2 hrs each time. Just want to have faster access and down/uploading. Any advice? Thanks!
    bell

You might want to consider the Singnet Jetpack if you haven't since your usage seems to be light.

Deregistered

Bad experience with ALL. By magnitude of badness -
    Pacific Internet ( x 9)
    Singnet / Magix ( x 8)
    SCV MaxOnline ( x 5)

In the end I stuck to SCV, cuz it was my last resort liao. At least billing glitches get fixed unlike the other 2... Since then, almost 2 years already with SCV/Starhub.

If your place in't ADSL activated yet, then definitely avoid PacNet. Moreso if the phone line is a Singtel line.

scv fastest of them all, can usually get 200kb/s
    however if u dun need the speed/unlimited, then go for the cheapest

Default thks all!

Thks to all for the tips and advice. I already hv Cable at home so it looks like i can enjoy waiver of activation and installation fees
    But SCV only has 2 plans: 1500 and 3000 - both of which still look like 'too much' for me leh. feel that if i sign up for the 1500 maxonline, i'm still paying too much ($58+ incl. GST) per month, given my low usage rate. wish there are more options for ppl like me.

Quote Originally Posted by Helbreath
    scv fastest of them all, can usually get 200kb/s
    however if u dun need the speed/unlimited, then go for the cheapest
    huh! 200kbps you should be complaining liaoz! if you consistently get 200kbps (use a reliable tool like Netpersec) even during off peak and pulling from known good performing servers (like MS WindowsUpdate) then you should do something about it.

I get 1.7Mbps on Maxonline.

200kb/s is different from 200 kbps

first is kilobyte and second is kilobits.

1 byte = 8 bits

1500 Maxonline users will get a estimated maximum download speed of 200KB/s

Quote Originally Posted by bell
    Thks to all for the tips and advice. I already hv Cable at home so it looks like i can enjoy waiver of activation and installation fees
    But SCV only has 2 plans: 1500 and 3000 - both of which still look like 'too much' for me leh. feel that if i sign up for the 1500 maxonline, i'm still paying too much ($58+ incl. GST) per month, given my low usage rate. wish there are more options for ppl like me.
    since you're not into heavy usage, you may want to start off with those volume or time based broadband package. They are definitely cheaper than those unlimited ones.

Quote Originally Posted by caseytan
    200kb/s is different from 200 kbps

first is kilobyte and second is kilobits.

1 byte = 8 bits

1500 Maxonline users will get a estimated maximum download speed of 200KB/s
    whoa! cheemz

200kb/s not equal to 200kbps ?

I know what you're trying to say is 200kB/s not equal to 200kbps but go and read the original note.

but in case you really think "/" is not the same as "p", better dig out your science text book.

and yes, there are people on Maxonline who really only gets 200kbps.

usually ppl will use kb/s for KB/s, which is a common mistake, i'm sure the guy was talking about kilobytes.

my mistake for putting kb/s != kbps. i was meant to say that the guy meant kilobytes and not kilobits
    Last edited by caseytan; 19th August 2003 at 09:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by caseytan
    usually ppl will use kb/s for KB/s, which is a common mistake, i'm sure the guy was talking about kilobytes.

my mistake for putting kb/s != kbps. i was meant to say that the guy meant kilobytes and not kilobits
    yah, especially if you're trying to respond to an RFP and not sure if you're oversizing your solution by almost a magnitude.

anyway from my experience, most people are surprised Maxonline can achieve (for me) 1.5+ Mbps. it is really hard to tell whether something is wrong with their modem config (not their fault) but I am still curious why I get exactly 1.7 Mbps, when it should be 1.5 Mbps. but I'm not complaining