Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why professionals dont use nikon???

Default Re: Why professionals dont use nikon???

Maybe Canon introduce new technology faster so pro need every bit possible to win the next guy?

1987 adopting full electronics lens system with motor in the camera body to drive the mechanics against less precise mechanical lens and Nikon introduced their first G lens in 2000 (13yrs).
    1987 (USM) first appeared with the introduction of the EF 300 mm f/2.8L USM lens, Nikon introduce SWM in 1998 (11yrs).
    1995's incorporated IS in their 75–300 mm f/4–5.6 IS USM while Nikon have their first VR in 2000 (5yrs).
    Canon moving into CMOS in 2000 Nikon started using CMOS in year 2007.
    Canon offer full frame DSLR in 2004 while Nikon offer their first in 2007.
    Last edited by FIR; 5th October 2008 at 02:48 PM.

I think it's clear why pro-photographers use Cannon instead of Nikon because of it's inevitable, range of lenses Canon can offer. Not tat Nikon bodies are not good. We have
    D700 and D3 to prove it. The lenses Nikon provide are superb too. I think Canon lenses are slightly better. Especially their BIG apperture f/1.4 zoom lens. Btw, I'm a Nikon owner. I have no issue with my D300 and my current lenses. Though most of my lens are from Sigma, I love my Nikon dearly.

Quote Originally Posted by FIR View Post
    Maybe Canon introduce new technology faster so pro need every bit possible to win the next guy?
    Canon offer full frame DSLR in 2004 while Nikon offer their first in 2007................
    Most photography buffs came from the analog film 35mm cameras and had lots of full frame lenses.

A lot of Nikon users jumped ship due to the lack of a Full Frame DSLR.

With the D3 and D700 from Nikon, I believe that the tide has finally turned in Nikon's favour.
    | Nikon D700; AF-S 14-24 f/2.8GED; AF 20 f/2.8D; AF 50 f/1.4D; SB400| Tamron AF 28-75 f/2.8 A09NII|

If I own an existing existing system, I will stick with the system because it is just a tool. But if I am new user, I will pay a system with more cutting edge advantage. If I am a top pro and have little regards to the tool and have no money problem I will buy the best money will buy and no care anything on brand.

So many pro (true) dump their money on whatever they can get ahead of competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Broderick View Post
    Rofl..i just change brand from canon to nikon recently[6hours ago].The reason being nikon body is much cheaper then canon's.Maybe this is the reason,professial want to spend more.Another reason could be that L lens look dope to their cilent?

just my 2cent worth
    LOL i tot u monday that changing ur Canon?
    Nikon D300|MB-D10|Nikon F2|Nikon 24-70mm f2.8G ED|Nikon 70-210mm f/4-5.6 AF-D|SB-80DX|Next:70-200mm

I think it's just a coincidence la. How do you define a professional?
    Sure, during F1, I saw many canon dslrs, like 1000D, 450D, but I saw many D300s too.
    I would believe professionals who get money from their photos, are not always brand loyal. They'll go with whatever that suits them best. I won't be surprised if they have Olympus, canon and nikon gear etc.

I also agree with the previous posts, that during the Olympics, canon and nikon equipment were equally evident. Probably around half-half.

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    well, at least Nikon has been to the space.
    Haha yep! NASA is a professional right? NASA uses nikon since ..erm 1950s i think.
    The best things in life are free.

you are generalizing to this point, with no real time stats to prove and even you have . it does not reflected the portion of brands under the professional grade. Neither has your observation under your circle of influence has proves substantial conviction for me. and it a waste of time with the "maybe and If" speculation added to start this thread..what the point
    Last edited by Luval; 5th October 2008 at 12:18 PM.

The shortest answer would be: Nikon no good.

or such is the perception.

And in human nature, perceptions are hard to change, justified or not. Like means like, don't like means don't like. All discussions about lenses and sensors are immaterial.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

when you decide with nikon, is better to stop asking why.
    the more whys you ask, the less time you spend outside shooting.
    1 vote to close thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyoexpress View Post
    Professionals dun use nikon???

Well It might not be as popular than canon in sg *by a little only*

Canon is very popular because of huge wide range of lens & 3rd parties...

But in Japan, most professionals uses Nikon~ Even on streets u see many amaturers carry nikons camera around.

For User like me, I am 30%Nikon, 30%Canon, 30%Sony, 9%Olympus 1%misc Dslr & Prosumers User aka Collector & Lover.

Verdit Nikon & Canon are equally good brands, not to mention Sony even thou Sony's dslrs drop like poor shares, Sony MADE Extremely GOOD CAMERAs.... exp CarlZeizz lens thou...
    back then in 05, i really saw lot of nikon users in jap.
    and perhaps that's one of the main reason to as why i picked nikon.
    but nowadays, the younger jap generation tend to favour canon as well.

I've a friend who is a photo journalist with the Straits times. He told me the entire photo department is now toting Nikon D3s. It used to be that they offered the fellas a choice between the Canon EOS 1D or a Nikon D2Xs.

I agree with some earlier comments. We can't base our assumptions because we saw certain no of photogs on an event using Canons etc.

Maybe Canon was "SMARTER" by having a photo exhibition by a french photog who uses Canon. You may have noticed the TV advert playing. It had a scene where a few EOS-1D were firing at a high frame rate.

Nikon may have been one of the official sponsor for the F1 event but their TV advert was show casing the D90 whereas the Canon TV advert had a brief but surely impressionable scene where a few EOS 1Ds with telephotos were shooting at high fps.

If you care to dig around, especially at the dpreview camera forums you can read many disgruntled CANON pro users who were disappointed with the current EOS-1D mk III that they bought the D3.

Quote Originally Posted by reconn View Post
    I think it's clear why pro-photographers use Cannon instead of Nikon because of it's inevitable, range of lenses Canon can offer. Not tat Nikon bodies are not good. We have
    D700 and D3 to prove it. The lenses Nikon provide are superb too. I think Canon lenses are slightly better. Especially their BIG apperture f/1.4 zoom lens. Btw, I'm a Nikon owner. I have no issue with my D300 and my current lenses. Though most of my lens are from Sigma, I love my Nikon dearly.
    ??????!!
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

"Why professionals dont use nikon???"

This is definitely a Big Wrong statement. Professionals use all brands.

There is no point continuing this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Broderick View Post
    The reason being nikon body is much cheaper then canon's.
    but nikon lenses are more expensive.

nikon has the same strategy as printer companies - sell you a cheap but super zia $100 printer, but then each cartridge is $40!

Quote Originally Posted by cimman View Post
    While mere mortals like us don't need >20MPix, the pros do need it, especially for extreme cropping or just as an insurance, in case they need to print huge pics for a client.
    then how did professionals who shot on the 1d classic manage to survive on a 4 megapixel resolution?

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyoexpress View Post
    Verdit Nikon & Canon are equally good brands, not to mention Sony even thou Sony's dslrs drop like poor shares, Sony MADE Extremely GOOD CAMERAs.... exp CarlZeizz lens thou...
    sony was just too slow in the digital game. in fact, aside from canon and nikon, all the other brands like panasonic, samsung, pentax, olympus are all too far behind of the big two in terms of technology. olympus did not start too late, but made a fatal mistake to choose the less popular 4/3 system sensor over the aps-c sensor; they're supposed 4/3 advantage turned out to be a great disadvantage.

Quote Originally Posted by camerax View Post
    alright I am not trying to ignite a war here between nikon vs canon. But I seriously start to see some signs here.

I always believe that nikon and canon is equally good. But why Professionals always use canon?? nobody use nikon.

I am a nikon guy and I notice this thing from many events.

lets say SINGAPORE F1, all of the photographers that i bumped into, they all used CANON. nobody used nikon. IT COULDNT be a coincidence. waht happened with nikon ???

and so many people even in the US , the professionals mostly use canon . whats up with nikon?

If I looked at the camera line, Canon line is better than nikon. IS this why???

I dont really know about canon but like today, my friend who use canon show me about mark 2 that pretty much can capture a video with a GREAT QUALITY. while nikon only have d90 and the quality is not really that awesome anyway.

but We dont have to talk about the quality here. THE POINT IS, why MOST PROFESSIONALS use canon nowadays instead of nikon. this is what i am trying to find out.

BTW, I am using nikon d40 and totally nikon dude. : )
    maybe those professionals using Nikon are like to hide in the dark.......LoL
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by spartacus.ret View Post
    then how did professionals who shot on the 1d classic manage to survive on a 4 megapixel resolution?
    that's just like asking how did the first F1 cars won the race then.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

I can only tell you why many journalist in JB uses Canon - because there is a Canon Service Center in JB. For Nikon they have to send to KL, that's why some of them actually jump from Nikon to Canon as well.
    Shahrul Esa

Who cares?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast