Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why professionals dont use nikon???

Default Re: Why professionals dont use nikon???

Quote Originally Posted by Broderick View Post
    I kinna agree with his statement.My teacher and I are one of them.
    Whose statement? One of who?

if im a professional, and, im used to Canon system why the heck do i wanna change? i can't be bothered with the system as long as that system can do what i have in mind, and bring me the $$$...

i believe the professional cant be bothered to touch that system in his/her free time too
    Last edited by mummum; 5th October 2008 at 12:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by camerax View Post
    alright I am not trying to ignite a war here between nikon vs canon. But I seriously start to see some signs here.

I always believe that nikon and canon is equally good. But why Professionals always use canon?? nobody use nikon.

I am a nikon guy and I notice this thing from many events.

lets say SINGAPORE F1, all of the photographers that i bumped into, they all used CANON. nobody used nikon. IT COULDNT be a coincidence. waht happened with nikon ???

and so many people even in the US , the professionals mostly use canon . whats up with nikon?

If I looked at the camera line, Canon line is better than nikon. IS this why???

I dont really know about canon but like today, my friend who use canon show me about mark 2 that pretty much can capture a video with a GREAT QUALITY. while nikon only have d90 and the quality is not really that awesome anyway.

but We dont have to talk about the quality here. THE POINT IS, why MOST PROFESSIONALS use canon nowadays instead of nikon. this is what i am trying to find out.

BTW, I am using nikon d40 and totally nikon dude. : )
    Huh, are you sure? I see some pros use nikon leh.....

well, this canon vs nikon thing has been going on for ages, and it really isnt going to end very soon, but we all gotta admit that ultimately its the user that makes the difference.
    in the digital field, i gotta admit that canon got their act together earlier than nikon with the 1DMk3 and their 5D FF cameras while nikon only recently released the D3 and D300, which would make a difference to the pros, who need the image quality that FF offers. and once they start off with a system, changing it would cost alot.

and an interesting thing is that we often assume that most pros use canon because thats what we see at sporting events. we can't ignore the pros who shoot other stuff like wildlife and landscapes like those in national geographic magazine, many of whom use nikon.

Quote Originally Posted by drakon09 View Post
    Geez, don't you peeps give this Canikon thing a rest?

Anyway, "professionals" are not limited to just sports photographers; they are but in just one field of photography.

To the TS: it is advisable not to post such a sweeping statement, and then go on to say that you're a Nikon (or whatever) fan. If you bother to do a little bit of homework, you'll see that professional photographers use every kind of equipment as long as it suits their needs.

As far as I'm concerned, this thread is does not serve any real purpose other than to soothe bruised egos.

my apology to mod. the fact that I told everbody that I am a nikon dude is no more than to tell yall that I am not trying to start a brand war.

I am just curious why professionals doesnt seem to use nikon at least to my perception.

thats all. and even up to this point I still think there are more pros out there who use canon istead of nikon.

Quote Originally Posted by screamingsnapshots View Post
    well, this canon vs nikon thing has been going on for ages, and it really isnt going to end very soon, but we all gotta admit that ultimately its the user that makes the difference.
    in the digital field, i gotta admit that canon got their act together earlier than nikon with the 1DMk3 and their 5D FF cameras while nikon only recently released the D3 and D300, which would make a difference to the pros, who need the image quality that FF offers. and once they start off with a system, changing it would cost alot.

and an interesting thing is that we often assume that most pros use canon because thats what we see at sporting events. we can't ignore the pros who shoot other stuff like wildlife and landscapes like those in national geographic magazine, many of whom use nikon.
    I agree with you. Canon really cut a big pie from the market during the intro of digital photography. They provide the best Zoom lens for sports. Nikon although launch their FX recently, they still need more time to catchup. But Pros do use Nikon in wildlife and landscape.

I think this really shows how well canon's "white marketing" has worked.

They made their lenses white, and people notice them more!

Well, the olympics had an equal amount of shooters. Wonder where all the nikon photogs are shooting now.. Perhaps one of those sports not popular in SG? Like american football or stuff we dont get in SG.
    Last edited by GavinTing; 5th October 2008 at 03:48 AM.
    Meow!

Professionals dun use nikon???

Well It might not be as popular than canon in sg *by a little only*

Canon is very popular because of huge wide range of lens & 3rd parties...

But in Japan, most professionals uses Nikon~ Even on streets u see many amaturers carry nikons camera around.

For User like me, I am 30%Nikon, 30%Canon, 30%Sony, 9%Olympus 1%misc Dslr & Prosumers User aka Collector & Lover.

Verdit Nikon & Canon are equally good brands, not to mention Sony even thou Sony's dslrs drop like poor shares, Sony MADE Extremely GOOD CAMERAs.... exp CarlZeizz lens thou...

I'm a Nikon D3 user and never used a Canon. But I believe based on observation and some chit chat. These are some of the reasons why Canon are preferred by some pro photographers

1) Canon has FF sensor much earlier than Nikon
    2) Canon has wider aperture lens which party due to their longer involvement in FF setup such as 50mm f/1.2, 35mm f/1.2 etc.... I myself find it hard to accept that given I have a FF body, yet I can only enjoy 50mm f/1.4 but for 35mm, I end up with f2. I needed wide apertures for those nice bokeh, which is especially nice when used properly in wedding photography and low light photography

Why I end up with Nikon ?
    1) I enjoy handheld and low light and therefore chosen D3 because of it's high ISO capability at the moment before (probably) 5D Mark II, none can offer better low noise at high ISO.
    2) The price tag of 1Ds mark III is way too high for my consideration and also it does not perform better at high ISO than D3.
    3) I took up photography as a hobby and therefore general usage is my trait instead of photographers earning from it.

It's not true professionals don't use Nikon, I think alot does, it's just that you normally don't get exposed to them. Pumping at 9fps for FF and 11fps for DX, Nikon D3 makes a fantastic sport tool. It also function particularly well for journalist and wild life photographers. But in comparison to Canon, Canon makes better landscape tool.

I suppose it's after all a mixed feelings. These 2 big companies are constantly churning out newer and better equipment to challenge the nature. Whatever we said now may not hold for long enough before you find it's siding with another party again.
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

My guess is that Canon has a wider range of lenses and more affordable & available as compared to Nikons....
    And a friend of mine told me that some of the agencies that pro sports photographers belong to usually have a contract with Canon, who will readily loan their telephoto lenses to them but the same can't be said about Nikon.
    I think 2-3 years ago, Canon is right on top of the DSLR market, but it was only with the launch of the D300 & D3 that really set the pace for Nikon's comeback IMO.
    I think the D3 is the dream tool of every sports photographer & I am inclined to believe that some pros changed camp just to use this mighty camera for their workflow. But of course it makes no economic sense at all to change camp for most Canon pros, when they have a collection of lenses and are already accustomed to the brand itself. Not to mention I feel that Canon has a 'fool-proof' brand image, esp to amatuers graduating from P&S cams to DSLRs. Canon is the reigning king of the P&S market, and well....we all know that Nikon's P&S compacts simply cannot touch Canon. I think this plays a part for example during the F1 event, where newbies buy DSLRs for the race and I think that's how u see more people carrying Canons as opposed to Nikons. My 2 cents worth..

Got this mail from my mum.

The Best D-SLR Professional in Europe 2008 – D3

This professional D-SLR is a milestone for Nikon. It's the first camera from the company with a full-frame,'FX' sensor size of 23.9x36.0 mm. As a result of this, each pixel featured on the 12.1-megapixel CMOS sensor has a larger size, and that means the low-light performance of this camera is truly incredible. The Nikon D3 can easily be used at ISO 6400, and if needed, the ISO can be cranked up to an awesome equivalent of 25,600. The rugged, magnesium-alloy chassis provides a solid foundation for the camera, and its fast burst rate of 9 frames per second in full-frame mode provides the necessary speed of use for the most demanding professional.

The Best D-SLR Expert in Europe 2008 – D300

With its solid design, excellent handling and robust, weather-sealed build quality, the Nikon D300 offers professional quality at a reasonable price. The 12.3-megapixel CMOS sensor delivers stunning results – even at ISO 1600 – and it can be boosted to ISO 6400 (Hi 1.0) if needed. The camera sports a fast, responsive autofocus system, the viewfinder offers virtually 100% coverage, the large 3-inch screen gives a bright, clear display and all the high-end features like Live View, HDMI connectivity and antidust protection are included. On top of these exceptional features, the D300 shoots at an impressive speed of 6 frames per second, and will do this in bursts of up to 100 consecutive JPEGs or 27 RAWs.

i am nikon d40 user. is there any difference to use kit lence and 17-55 2.8 lence

Af af af
    ubans.com

well, at least Nikon has been to the space.
    Last edited by ExplorerZ; 5th October 2008 at 09:02 AM.

There was a "dark age" around year 2001-2005 where Nikon lacks of the products to Canon.
    that time is the golden year of digital SLR explosion which many of professionals move to Canon.

After the introduction of D200 followed by D80, Nikon started to attract many users and the
    newest generation using EXPEED, Nikon is back !

Quote Originally Posted by zuikoku View Post
    There was a "dark age" around year 2001-2005 where Nikon lacks of the products to Canon.
    that time is the golden year of digital SLR explosion which many of professionals move to Canon.

After the introduction of D200 followed by D80, Nikon started to attract many users and the
    newest generation using EXPEED, Nikon is back !
    couldn't agree more

cheers

Spend more time shooting and less time wondering.

As someone has mentioned, it's only in a particular field, one has yet to see other fields. And, Mr C hasn't dominated entirely in the sporting field.

There are also other factors and circumstances, but it really isn't our concern.

Also, you probably haven't really met the real professionals, yet.

+1 before lock.

Just curious, does the perception of whether more pros shoot with Canon, Nikon or equipment from other brands even affect you in any way? For me, it means nothing at all. I just shoot with what suits my needs and feels good in my hands.
    RICOH GRD I / II / III / IV / GR / GXR

Quote Originally Posted by Crappinni View Post
    Is that the case? Saw many many more Nikon adverts than Canon ones.
    Well, it's only reccently that their advertisements start to pick up by alot. I remember that previously, there were more Canon bus adverts than Nikon ones...

And Canon advertises heavily in higher-end magazines such as Newsweek. For the past month or two, I kept seeing the advert for the Canon 1DS MkIII in my Newsweek...

http://jirikrenek.com/gallery

here's some from a Canon+Nikon D3 user
    Last edited by Shadowless; 5th October 2008 at 10:49 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast