Thread: Portrait Retouching Tutorial

Default Portrait Retouching Tutorial

I've wasted many an hour coming up with the below approach. It works for me, but I'm sure every one has their own preferences. My best tip is to keep it simple avoid the Barbie Doll skin by lowering the opacity of your layers. Include some imperfections; few of us are perfect after all.

I've listed the quick and dirty work flow so you can create an action straight away and then start playing with your own style.

Use or abuse

Disclaimer: I've just done this for fun ~ feel free to clarify the steps for any one. As for me, I'm off to take some photos.
    Last edited by Manda; 7th February 2009 at 05:14 PM.

Default Re: Portrait Retouching Tutorial

i gave it a shot as well but didn't record the steps like u did. here's my attempt.

Your version is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Manda View Post
    Your version is excellent.
    thanks. are u able to post up the full size of the original and yours? i can only see the small version.

Quote Originally Posted by flipfreak View Post
    i gave it a shot as well but didn't record the steps like u did. here's my attempt.
    thought I'ld provide some constructive (hopefully) critiques ... the skin in the forehead is looking a bit patchy, as well as under the eyes and to the right (our right) of his mouth... the lips can stand some clean up of spots as well... the original skintone is abit cold: can warm up abit... also, the eye whites look very flat...

Good info. Thanks for sharing Manda.

Quote Originally Posted by theRBK View Post
    thought I'ld provide some constructive (hopefully) critiques ... the skin in the forehead is looking a bit patchy, as well as under the eyes and to the right (our right) of his mouth... the lips can stand some clean up of spots as well... the original skintone is abit cold: can warm up abit... also, the eye whites look very flat...
    thanks for the comments. i wanted to keep to the original as much as i can without changing him into a more fashion kind of touch up. so i try to retain as much of the original pic as i can while removing the wrinkles and major botches.

i probably missed a few spots here and there though. i am pretty much happy with the cooler skintone actually. i tried a warmer one but i kinda like the clean stock photo look. i may have overcleaned the eyes. haha.

Hi Manda,

Nice work - had a bit of a play, similar technique to yours in your stage 2 to smooth the skin a bit while keeping some of the detail there...

before and after

Gooseberry and Tim - good work! Its amazing how every one approaches it slightly differently.

Here is a good link for colour correcting skin tone by numbers. He is a bit like a lobster in the original piccie
    Last edited by Manda; 5th October 2008 at 08:04 AM.

He is a bit like a lobster in the original piccie
    precisely my point about the skintone previously... although I have it on authority of a product manager from Phase One that people from a certain country in Europe supposedly prefer cool skintone... no, its not the country that gave us the smurfs

Just realized how my comment might be mis-interpreted, by 'original' I mean the untouched jpeg and not any conversions within this thread.

Going retouch mad, now I've found some fake eyes and have used them on this portrait (not my photo).

Found these irises and wanted to see if they are believable.

Used the 'Photoshop Layers Book' by Richard Lynch to perfect the glamour portrait retouch.

The photo wasn't taken by me, here is the source.

Large size here

Found these irises and wanted to see if they are believable.
    Yes, I think the new irises look believable. Nice work!

I enhanced the eyes in your next-to-last version, before the new irises were added. Curves adjustment layers to lighten and darken, and a hue/sat layer to shift the hue a bit toward the color you achieved.

excellent work

Your website has a great portfolio of your work, can you trim a little flab for me please.
    Last edited by Manda; 27th October 2008 at 07:45 AM.

I've just written this for the folks over in flickr ...

Thanks for sharing, Mandy
    Don't brag about your accomplishments; Show us your future works.

Excellent! Thanks for sharing
    Roger, how much do u charge for portrait touch-up? Great work threre!

this is my attempt ,like father like son

this is another which i didnt ps alot

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/t..._122_397lo.jpg