Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for 70s 80s items

Default Re: Looking for 70s 80s items

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Hehehehe ... that's what I just suggested Ben!
    after I wrote and sent the post than realize you post too.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    after I wrote and sent the post than realize you post too.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    no matter how many piece of tissue paper, toilet paper stick to the build in flash, it is still frontal lighting, flat and less interesting.

for more interesting lighting, make the lighting come from the side, can do like Mr Ortega suggests, Sun light, my preference is window light.
    yup. thats why i dun like the built in flash.

how abt using a flash unit attached to the camera? like bouncing it off the ceiling?

Actually, this could be a very interesting project if you set the appropriate tone and mood for the shot.

Think 'nostalgia', then look to see what you can hammer up together for an appropriate backdrop.

No need to go into complicated flash photography - just use side-window lighting and a large piece of white cardboard to reflect light back into the shadow area.

Not exactly 70s, but look carefully from the start till about 8.5 sec of this video for an idea:

hmm.. my house I can get natural lighting but sometimes i need to go over to other places where there is no natural lighting.

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    interesting concept

maybe you should just scan it instead
    thanks! but i believe this project would not be able to complete soon cos i need to go all over to scavage wat is left of the past.

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    how about a nice white background or a 70s or 80s kind of bg
    and if you don't have the light, use sunlight and/or a light tent
    hmm.. IMO white background abit boring so i used those brown paper. but for the passbook and passport, light will cause the prints on the cover to reflect those light. similarly for cards cos they will reflect too.

Having a bounced flash from the hotshoe will only result in lighting the entire scene. The light source will be so much and larger and impossible to control. I would get the necessary cords or triggers to get the flash off the camera and experiment. You can mimic soft window light by having the flash to a side with a large softbox (not the often-misunderstood Omnibounce that does not soften light at all) and having a reflector to the side.

You can either make a softbox yourself or just hang a piece of tracing paper (at least A2 in size) from a rod and fire the flash through it. If your objects will be very small (like a ring,etc), you can try to get by with a A3 paper as diffusion.

White background is boring? Then you can try experimenting with the items standing up with your background further away (so that you will get darker tones). If you are able to get another slave flash unit, use that on the background to create different moods. For the light reflection off the books, a soft large source OFF the camera will solve it. Its all about controlling and angling the light.
    Last edited by ywh; 13th October 2008 at 10:58 AM.

besides shooting by the side is there any other method that works with a flash unit? like a diffuser?

Yes, you can almost re-create any natural lighting effect with flash, but you're looking at quite complicated set-ups and control if the mood shots are what you want. If it's just clear, pleasant catalog shots, then global diffusion may work, but it will be flat.

Could I ask, do you have a layout or end-result in mind? If you let us know specific details, we might be able to offer better advise.

hmm.. like can bring out the details of the items and give a vintage feel.

bring to the streets to shoot, most street lamps have warm tones. just make sure things dun fly onto the roads. & use a tripod for long exposure.

Hi bro, I have rented props from http://www.productionresource.sg/propsrental.htm They have quite a collection. Have a look.

Quote Originally Posted by takeshi.lum View Post
    Hi,

I am trying to gather some 70s 80s items for an album documenting Singapore's past. I have been to Sungei Road to search for some but it seems so endless. There are so many items that I wish to own but I have limited budget. Things like the 1st generation pager and mobile phone (the water bottle or 大哥大), ring dial land phone, SLR, NS Booklet, Enlistment Letter (from 70s-90s), etc.

If you happened to have these items and you are willing to lend them for awhile, please give me a PM. I would appreciate it very much. After the shoot, I will return you the item and with a print as well.

Please help me with documenting Singapore's past, I realise it is very difficult to do this because everything is advancing so fast. Let's get back some of our young childhood/adulthood.

Thanks!

Shooting out in the street??? Sorry but that is really a bad idea. Your lighting will be uncontrollable with those large sources coming down....unless you resort to flags and C-stands but that will be way beyond the budget and ability (non offence to the TS here) of the TS. Want a warm tone? Set to cloudy balance while using flash or just add CTO to the flashheads.

TS, you just need to sit down and plan what feel and look you are going after. Visualize the look of the image and the lighting and where each item will go.
    Last edited by ywh; 14th October 2008 at 08:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ywh View Post
    Shooting out in the street??? Sorry but that is really a bad idea. Your lighting will be uncontrollable with those large sources coming down....unless you resort to flags and C-stands but that will be way beyond the budget and ability (non offence to the TS here) of the TS. Want a warm tone? Set to cloudy balance while using flash or just add CTO to the flashheads.

TS, you just need to sit down and plan what feel and look you are going after. Visualize the look of the image and the lighting and where each item will go.

may I ask what is a CTO?

takeshi, I mentioned it earlier, and someone else also mentioned it...it's really much better if you plan out and mabbie even roughly sketch out a layout of how you want the final photograph to look, and how it's going to be used.

It's no use if you keep on asking for advise (which we're more than willing to give) WITHOUT having a layout or very clear Art Direction in mind ... because we won't know what advise to give, or we just give it blindly, then you come back and ask again and we blindly give again and you come back again and again till no one replies to your questions anymore.

takeshi, I mentioned it earlier, and someone else also mentioned it...it's really much better if you plan out and mabbie even roughly sketch out a layout of how you want the final photograph to look, and how it's going to be used.

It's no use if you keep on asking for advise (which we're more than willing to give) WITHOUT having a layout or very clear Art Direction in mind ... because we won't know what advise to give, or we just give it blindly, then you come back and ask again and we blindly give again and you come back again and again till no one replies to your questions anymore.
    he probably looking for a magic setting.

voila, everything look nice nice..
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

i have mentioned a vintage look and can show details of the item. also mentioned that it will be used for documentation in my private album. the pictures i hav posted are the ones i already took and see if u guys can help me with correcting so it will look nicer.

someone mentioned the light is flat so i was thinking of using the built in flash and i am looking up materials for DIY diffusser.

Quote Originally Posted by leejay View Post
    Hi bro, I have rented props from http://www.productionresource.sg/propsrental.htm They have quite a collection. Have a look.
    thanks! i shall pop them an email and see how they can help me with it

i have mentioned a vintage look and can show details of the item. also mentioned that it will be used for documentation in my private album. the pictures i hav posted are the ones i already took and see if u guys can help me with correcting so it will look nicer.

someone mentioned the light is flat so i was thinking of using the built in flash and i am looking up materials for DIY diffusser.
    If I were to give that brief to 5 different photographers with their own distinctive styles, and offer no other information, I'll bet you will get 5 entirely different results.

It sounds like you want a sepia toned, close-up or extreme close-up catalog product / documentary shot.

If that's the case, take the photo like you would any other still-life product ala catalog style (nothing artistic, just realistic - Big Big, clear and totally clean), with nice, even lighting, and convert it to a sepia look. If it's too flat, use Photoshop to adjust. It would be a lot easier than messing around with lighting.

thanks!

i am still new to photography so I am still looking for a style. is there any artistic styles for me to follow?

i noe i m kind of troublesome, please bear with me

Based on what you yourself said,

a vintage look and can show details of the item. also mentioned that it will be used for documentation in my private album.
    it hints to me that what you want or need are very straight-forward product shots except with a vintage look, and since it appears that you're having technical difficulties, I suggested taking a straight-forward approach, and then turning the straight-forward shot into a sepia or brownish looking black & white photo to give you that 'vintage' look.

Try shooting the items on a plain background (white paper or cloth) in a shaded area during the day. Use a higher ISO if you're having problems with slower shutter speeds. Just get that clear shot to work with, and everything else you can do in photoshop.

I would strongly suggest staying away from any fancy styles of shooting or lighting to avoid complications. Keep it as simple as possible.

CHEERS!
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 14th October 2008 at 06:20 PM.

Based on what you yourself said,

it hints to me that what you want or need are very straight-forward product shots except with a vintage look, and since it appears that you're having technical difficulties, I suggested taking a straight-forward approach, and then turning the straight-forward shot into a sepia or brownish looking black & white photo to give you that 'vintage' look.

Try shooting the items on a plain background (white paper or cloth) in a shaded area during the day. Use a higher ISO if you're having problems with slower shutter speeds. Just get that clear shot to work with, and everything else you can do in photoshop.

I would strongly suggest staying away from any fancy styles of shooting or lighting to avoid complications. Keep it as simple as possible.

CHEERS!
    thanks!

i was thinking of exploring different methods and learn along the way. but how abt that brown paper background? i'll go get mahjong paper later when i have my dinner out.

btw, cloth or paper will be better?

thanks!

i was thinking of exploring different methods and learn along the way. but how abt that brown paper background? i'll go get mahjong paper later when i have my dinner out.

btw, cloth or paper will be better?
    Try ALL.

Brown paper, mahjong paper and cloth. Best part is they are all cheap! Just try all and get a 'feel' for each when you work with the different materials. Along the way, you would have learnt a few things.

Oh, if you don't mind I offer an opinion when you said
    i was thinking of exploring different methods and learn along the way.
    ?

Get a grasp of the basics first, then use what you know to explore. No use play masak masak rojak chap chye, because even if you get something very nice, you might not even know how you did it, or why it came out that way, and cannot repeat it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast