Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 32 of 32

Thread: Dry cabinet question

  1. #21

    Default Re: Dry cabinet question

    Quote Originally Posted by mrericlee View Post
    I an a newbie... do I really need a dry cabinet?

    If I don't keep in dry cabinet... what happens?

    kaboom!!!! your gear will explode!!!! haha.

    kidding.

    well, simply put, our air here in Singapore is very humid and damp. Your gear will be more prone to mould and fungus if left outside for too long periods. So if you wanna keep your gear in good condition, it would be advisable to get one.
    Nikon D600, Olympus EM5
    Olympus EPL-1, Canon Powershot S90 & S95

  2. #22

    Default Re: Dry cabinet question

    It all depends on how many lens you have and how often you use the cam and the lens
    the lens which you seldom used maybe for months..or so should be kept dry so that fungus will not get to the lens. fungus grows in dark and damp areas...so i guess if you used the lens often..there will be sunlight to prevent fungus growth..hope this info is enough for you to make your own jugdement..

  3. #23

    Default Re: Dry cabinet question

    Quote Originally Posted by cyliyu View Post
    Thanks all for all your inputs. below the 2 catergories:-
    Inside the cabinet:-
    1) Camera body
    2) Lens without hoods
    3) Camera Battery (removed from camera)
    4) Video Camcoder
    5) Tapes / Cleaning Tape
    6) CD / DVD Disc

    Outside the cabinet:-
    1) Camera Straps
    2) Lens Hoods
    3) Cleaning solution / Kits

    Feel free to advise, my cabinet bascially use for Camera / Video cam purposes.
    one more question, usually how long will the humidity settle down once I adjust the knob?
    my haven't reaches 40 to 55 and it is either too high or too low after I adjusted the knob.
    8hour+ but some say it 24 hours

  4. #24

    Default Re: Dry cabinet question

    oh warning when setting up you dry box..for the first time is best to do it when it is empty.
    and do not open the door for 2 long..humidty will take about 8 hours to reset back to normal.after door is open for just 10secs...

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West of SG
    Posts
    327

    Default Re: Dry cabinet question

    For those with a len and a body. See if you are able to get those Air-Tight Glass Bottles. Put in silicon beads and Your gear. Used to store my SLR and lenses in this way till I got my DSLR and my gears keep growing.

    I have tried those plastics one but they are not as air-tight as glass. You can see the silicon beads turn pink after a few months. Those beads in my glass bottle still remains blue even after a year

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    454

    Default Re: Dry cabinet question

    I will go buy one then..... where is a good place?

    Is there anything for less than SGD100?

    I have got a Canon 40D, 17-85mm lens and a 50mm lens.

  7. #27
    Member luntut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    1,883

    Default Re: Dry cabinet question

    Quote Originally Posted by knightwings View Post
    Hi i am using a 60L dry cab
    you can take a look at the picture here
    humidity reads 47%....



    regards
    knightwings
    anyone tried poking a USB into the part labelled USB?

    i was feeling around in the dark, and it seems as though there is a USB hole right underneath the word...
    Fast Camera. Fast Lens. Slow Me. Sigh.
    My Flickr

  8. #28

    Default Re: Dry cabinet question

    Quote Originally Posted by mrericlee View Post
    I will go buy one then..... where is a good place?

    Is there anything for less than SGD100?

    I have got a Canon 40D, 17-85mm lens and a 50mm lens.
    digi cabi 30L $118 will fit you. at ms color, john
    30L mostly cash & carry. anything more than that deliver free.

    challenger,carrefour also sells. a lot of places have.

  9. #29

    Default Re: Dry cabinet question

    Quote Originally Posted by mrericlee View Post
    I an a newbie... do I really need a dry cabinet?

    If I don't keep in dry cabinet... what happens?
    Erm, most oft, fungus will start to grow on your lens and camera sensor/low pass filter. Then you'd have spots or lines across ur photos.....

    This can only be corrected by cleaning thereafter. Means send in for servicing and incur *kaching*$$.
    Snap ?

  10. #30

    Default Re: Dry cabinet question

    Quote Originally Posted by eileenksj View Post
    digi cabi 30L $118 will fit you. at ms color, john
    30L mostly cash & carry. anything more than that deliver free.

    challenger,carrefour also sells. a lot of places have.

    Digicabi is good. Yeah, I got mine from J316. Nice service there.

    CP sells another make though. Akarui Digi or something. Sizing a little different.

    Best compare prices before you commit.

    One thing to note tho. I got a 30L when I first started in Dec 07. Never realise how small it can be. Aug 08 upgraded to a 70L. Aha.... sigh. Suffered depreciation lor. Anyways, it helps to decide on how much gear you'd have in the next couple of years so that u avoid having to "upgrade" like me....
    Snap ?

  11. #31

    Default Re: Dry cabinet question

    Quote Originally Posted by kool81 View Post
    For those with a len and a body. See if you are able to get those Air-Tight Glass Bottles. Put in silicon beads and Your gear. Used to store my SLR and lenses in this way till I got my DSLR and my gears keep growing.

    I have tried those plastics one but they are not as air-tight as glass. You can see the silicon beads turn pink after a few months. Those beads in my glass bottle still remains blue even after a year
    Yep. Very true. For research. my company did some testing on plastic (PolyCarb to be exact) and showed that for a 1/8" piece of PC, it takes humidity about 28 - 36 hours to move from one side of the PC to the other. So much for "air tight" plastic containers.... Glass is way tighter on the other hand....
    Snap ?

  12. #32

    Default Re: Dry cabinet question

    Quote Originally Posted by knightwings View Post
    Hi i am using a 60L dry cab
    you can take a look at the picture here
    humidity reads 47%....



    regards
    knightwings
    I had the same settings as you, RH also around 45-48%. Took me a week to get to that value, but I am using 30L haha

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •