Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Equipment for japan trip

Default Re: Equipment for japan trip

Quote Originally Posted by ChongK View Post
    Thanks for sharing two200 Btw,i'm the youngest child in the family,currently taking my O's and going for a japan trip at the end of the year.haha..so i guess shd not be a problem using my SLR, the adults will understand. I hope (: haha

Then like yamcake said bring 10-22mm and/or 17-40mm (preferably) with the dSLR.

I recently 'upgraded' to dSLR because I had many ruined photos during my Macau trip cos PnS too sloow to startup, too long to focus, too insensitive in dim light, too slow to refresh, etc. Having said that, the PnS really convenient and (equally) useful in bright light for normal-sized print
    Idea got, execution not!
    APAD|Travelogue

Quote Originally Posted by two200 View Post
    Then like yamcake said bring 10-22mm and/or 17-40mm (preferably) with the dSLR.

I recently 'upgraded' to dSLR because I had many ruined photos during my Macau trip cos PnS too sloow to startup, too long to focus, too insensitive in dim light, too slow to refresh, etc. Having said that, the PnS really convenient and (equally) useful in bright light for normal-sized print
    Btw do you know the price for sigma 10-20mm or the 11-16mm? Its true that pns cameras are slow in start up which could make you miss a special moment. But all in all DSLR cams are still the best in low lighting conditions which could be a big advantage

Quote Originally Posted by ChongK View Post
    Btw do you know the price for sigma 10-20mm or the 11-16mm? Its true that pns cameras are slow in start up which could make you miss a special moment. But all in all DSLR cams are still the best in low lighting conditions which could be a big advantage
    From this thread, 10-20mm varies bet 750 and 900
    Idea got, execution not!
    APAD|Travelogue

Quote Originally Posted by two200 View Post
    From this thread, 10-20mm varies bet 750 and 900
    thanks two200 for the information, i think the new 11-16mm cost abt 800plus there..according to some ppl, they say that the 10-20mm produces pictures that are a little soft.

Cheers

Just to share...personally I took with me my Canon 400D with Sigma 18-200mm lens attached all the time during my trip to NYC recently. I just need to pick it up, zoom, focus shoot. No time for changing lens. Pictures not that bad for such a walkaround lens. However, when it comes to low light conditions, its either you want to carry a tripod with you and set high iso or an external flash to help you cope. I would choose external flash.

here are a few shots I took during the trip at night...without tripod (ARGH!)

Last edited by matrixneo; 8th October 2008 at 01:27 PM. Reason: add pictures

hey, when are u going for the japan trip, i think im going the same one as u (osaka toyko universal studios and disneyland) but im only going in dec. im using a d60 too and have the 18-200mm lens tamron and 50mm prime. planning to get the tamron 17-50mm f2.8 for the trip, a comfortable bag. ha btw how much did u get ur battery grip?

[QUOTE=matrixneo;4421315]Just to share...personally I took with me my Canon 400D with Sigma 18-200mm lens attached all the time during my trip to NYC recently. I just need to pick it up, zoom, focus shoot. No time for changing lens. Pictures not that bad for such a walkaround lens. However, when it comes to low light conditions, its either you want to carry a tripod with you and set high iso or an external flash to help you cope. I would choose external flash.

here are a few shots I took during the trip at night...without tripod (ARGH!)

Nice Series matrixneo,not bad for the first picture at low light conditions though abit shaky but still not that bad..hmmmm just to ask, if in low lighting,how much a flash could help to brighten the picture? or to what extend could the flash aid the picture?

Thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by andrewtau View Post
    hey, when are u going for the japan trip, i think im going the same one as u (osaka toyko universal studios and disneyland) but im only going in dec. im using a d60 too and have the 18-200mm lens tamron and 50mm prime. planning to get the tamron 17-50mm f2.8 for the trip, a comfortable bag. ha btw how much did u get ur battery grip?
    Hi andrew, my trip is on november 24th. Maybe we have the same tour but different date?hahah it will be good if we are on the same tour
    Luckily i've a lowepro flipside 300, very good bag and its an "anti-stealer bag" haha cos the zip is against your back and so no one would be able to take out things from yr bag
    For my grip i got it at 150++,from what i know the prices fluctuate so i can't confirm that it will be the same price.

haha oh too bad.... my is in dec 18. just head the yen is getting stronger or whatever and it will be more ex to go japan but oh wells. booked already.

okay will go take a look at that bag... haha and btw i still dunno whether to invest in a flash like earlier said. haha im those that will try not to use flash will prefer to take with natural lighting or use a prime lens. hmm mabby sometime later i may be persuaded to buy a flash. ha.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewtau View Post
    haha oh too bad.... my is in dec 18. just head the yen is getting stronger or whatever and it will be more ex to go japan but oh wells. booked already.

okay will go take a look at that bag... haha and btw i still dunno whether to invest in a flash like earlier said. haha im those that will try not to use flash will prefer to take with natural lighting or use a prime lens. hmm mabby sometime later i may be persuaded to buy a flash. ha.
    Oh wasted..haha wad to do the trip is booked already,although yen gone higher but we must still enjoy ourselves. Heard that some camera products in japan is a little cheaper? would check it out if possible.haah
    Considering to invest in a flash too,esp now SB-800 quite cheap already,don't get no more already.haha

Hi ChongK,

Thanks for your kind comments. Yup...took quite a few shots in order to get such 'good' results w/o tripod. For this pic, I crank up my ISO to 800 and on Tv mode to about 2secs. Something on site really helps me to stabilise my camera much for the 2 secs...guess wat is it? I used the scenic bino that was on site to place my camera on top...breathe in....hold your breath, snap and hold for 2 secs till pic is processed. haha...seriously, overall, I'm quite happy to use this lens for all my shots...cheap (ard 600), easy to carry and fast to shoot, be it near or far.

Quote Originally Posted by matrixneo View Post
    Hi ChongK,

Thanks for your kind comments. Yup...took quite a few shots in order to get such 'good' results w/o tripod. For this pic, I crank up my ISO to 800 and on Tv mode to about 2secs. Something on site really helps me to stabilise my camera much for the 2 secs...guess wat is it? I used the scenic bino that was on site to place my camera on top...breathe in....hold your breath, snap and hold for 2 secs till pic is processed. haha...seriously, overall, I'm quite happy to use this lens for all my shots...cheap (ard 600), easy to carry and fast to shoot, be it near or far.
    Wow,that is a very good "tripod" haha..you were in luck i can say,but its good to do anything to get a good picture Oh ya,saw on the papers that sigma was having some offer on their lens a few days back,and if yrs is around 600,with their discount it will be 500plus? haha who know..

its really depend on ur trip... if u going to take landscape at night... i seriously think u need a tripod... if u not going to take any.. then dun bring one.. its troublesome.. its beter to get a those 18-200 or at least those with 18-70 range.. it will cover most of ur shots... changing lens in a vacation is really a hassle for me... esp if u going to cold country... a veri veri good comfortable bag for all ur kits... veri veri important....

Quote Originally Posted by maximize View Post
    its really depend on ur trip... if u going to take landscape at night... i seriously think u need a tripod... if u not going to take any.. then dun bring one.. its troublesome.. its beter to get a those 18-200 or at least those with 18-70 range.. it will cover most of ur shots... changing lens in a vacation is really a hassle for me... esp if u going to cold country... a veri veri good comfortable bag for all ur kits... veri veri important....
    Thank you maximize for your advice It is true that changing lens would be a hassle,cos you might miss out on some important pictures. However, i'm having a 18-55mm and a 55-200mm, although it covers quite a subtential range but i have to change the lens
    Further more,when i'm in japan,it will be cold after my fingers frozen.LOL! Luckily i have a lowepro 300 flipside to carry my gears,tripod would not be troublesome to sling on my shoulder,as i can attach it to my bag

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12