Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help: $200 or less for a digicam for my dad

Default Help: $200 or less for a digicam for my dad

Hi friends
    My dad will be going on a vacation by himself and I want to give him a simple camera.

Some features:
    - uses AA batteries so he can get them easily
    - Easy to use!
    - face detection if possible
    - reasonable small
    - decent picture quality

Zoom, record movies, etc are not important

Cheers!
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

Default Re: Help: $200 or less for a digicam for my dad

go to any ESSO petrol station. they are having this digital camera on promotion and it's a japanese brand (i'm not sure but i think the brand is SANYO). i dont know if the offer is still on, i last saw them at the cashiers' counter about two weeks ago. it costs about $99.

Probably a slight bit over your budget, I have seen the Canon A470 around $200-$220. Includes free 2GB SD card.

The A-series makes an excellent point and shoot, runs on AA batteries. If you set it to auto mode, it is as simple as it gets - just point and click. And image quality is quite decent.

I use an A530 myself as a backup camera when I am not carrying the big SLRs.

Yup, SANYO brand. Saw the ad at cheers, it's 99 bucks, probably not that good but damn cheap.
    Research Institute for Unicultural Visual Arts - Riuva.com

Thanks, I saw the $99 Sanyo, but the Canon 470 sounds quite promising, I can use it as a spare when I don't wish to carry my SLR.

Where did you see it for $220?

Cheers
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

I have been scouting for cameras with similar specs before for my wife recently. Yes, you can consider the Canon A470. Alternatively, you can also look at Nikon L-series, they are about your required budget.

Do spend some time going down to places like Courts or HN and hunt for them. With specs and prices stated, it's better than hunting blind - then go to the recommended shops for the actual purchase!

Or there are tonnes of them in the B&S...
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...hlight=compact
    from guitars, cars to dslr...

Yep good advice

Although I use a Nikon SLR, IMO, their digicams aren't so impressive.
    I saw the Canon A 720 IS on sale today at HN for $299
    That camera looks impressive, even if its a bit more expensive, but I may wish to keep it simple for my dad.

Will call a friend in SLS for some ideas too.
    Last edited by petetherock; 4th October 2008 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
    Thanks, I saw the $99 Sanyo, but the Canon 470 sounds quite promising, I can use it as a spare when I don't wish to carry my SLR.

Where did you see it for $220?

Cheers
    Funan, a while ago.. you can try John 3:16. Their prices may be a little bit higher than the rest but you have the assurance that they are not crooks, they have a very positive reputation here on CS. I shop there often myself.

Otherwise, big chain stores like Courts, HN may also carry this camera.

That camera looks impressive, even if its a bit more expensive, but I may wish to keep it simple for my dad.
    Recently I found this Canon E1 - supposedly perfect for my wife who is against anything more complicated than a Kodak Instamatic - runs on AA and simple dials. Doubt your dad would touch it with a 10-foot pole, but it sure will be a head-turner!

Thanks, saw someone trying to sell one, not bad, my dad won't really mind. I think I will try to a max of the A 720IS which looks quite impressive. Either that or the E1 or A 470.

Cheers

haha pass him ur d80 (:

Canon powershot A series ftw for budget pns

Hi friends
    My dad will be going on a vacation by himself and I want to give him a simple camera.

Some features:
    - uses AA batteries so he can get them easily
    - Easy to use!
    - face detection if possible
    - reasonable small
    - decent picture quality

Zoom, record movies, etc are not important

Cheers!
    You want? I have a Fuji A400 lying in my dry cabinet

Friends
    Just to feedback
    I realised Canon just changed their whole series for the base models, and I can get a A 1000 IS for $269 before GST, and that looks promising.
    This one has 4x zoom, and Easy mode, so this might be it, will go have a look in person sometime this week
    Cheers

Friends
    Just to feedback
    I realised Canon just changed their whole series for the base models, and I can get a A 1000 IS for $269 before GST, and that looks promising.
    This one has 4x zoom, and Easy mode, so this might be it, will go have a look in person sometime this week
    Cheers
    That''s the more "manly" version of the E1 model! Good enough for simple photo takings.

Oh BTW there is a Canon demo at St Regis these few days. Free 2G thumb drive door gift.

Ok, dear friends
    Thanks for all the suggestions, I went ahead with a Canon Powershot E1, 283 nett from SLS. The white color was nice and it has the same functions as the A 1000is. Took it out for a spin last night, not too bad. Will put a review in the Canon section soon. Cheers

Ok, dear friends
    Thanks for all the suggestions, I went ahead with a Canon Powershot E1, 283 nett from SLS. The white color was nice and it has the same functions as the A 1000is. Took it out for a spin last night, not too bad. Will put a review in the Canon section soon. Cheers
    Congrats! Looking forward to your review too!

My initial comments are in the Canon section. I have not used the Easy Mode yet...

Fujifilm Z5d is worth considering imo.

Blog Entries

tomorrow's papers look for gain city's ad

digital cameras from $139

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast