Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 34 of 34

Thread: Focus Problem or shaking problem?

  1. #21

    Default Re: Focus Problem or shaking problem?

    Agreed! Spend some money on books (or cheaper option: google). Then take your time to explore these 3 options for a start: shutter speed, ISO and f-stop. Once you understand the relationship abt these 3, then you are on your way to taking good pics. But it could be a long process. Be patient, and I'm sure you will catch on the BBB virus very soon!

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    North Singapore
    Posts
    316

    Default Re: Focus Problem or shaking problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    Your money will be well spent on some books on basics of photography.
    I agree totally. Currently main purpose is to take shot of my newborn baby to capture the moments and memory. Tied down with work thus no time to go source for a good book not to mention reading one. But Baby will continue growing and time wont wait for me.But however I definitely will get one in near future to understand more and to increase my knowledge.

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    North Singapore
    Posts
    316

    Default Re: Focus Problem or shaking problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Agreed! Spend some money on books (or cheaper option: google). Then take your time to explore these 3 options for a start: shutter speed, ISO and f-stop. Once you understand the relationship abt these 3, then you are on your way to taking good pics. But it could be a long process. Be patient, and I'm sure you will catch on the BBB virus very soon!
    Oh, Google will definitely be a good alternative to books.....Will touch on that soon.
    All of you have been very very helpful.

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Singapore, east-ish
    Posts
    2,291

    Default Re: Focus Problem or shaking problem?

    Why spend money on books?

    I learnt bags of stuff from the photography books readily available in the National Library

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    North Singapore
    Posts
    316

    Default Re: Focus Problem or shaking problem?

    To summarise the problem, I assume the issue here is nothing to do with the 'Focus' thing. So getting a Sigma Lens will still not solve my issue here right? (Well at least I learn something new on the subject once focus will have a green light below to indicate which I will explore this when I get home)

    Thus the root of the problem here is the Shutter Speed which I will need to do some studies on that. As well as to find out more about the 'Thumb Rule' posted by someone earlier.

    Thank you all.

  6. #26

    Default Re: Focus Problem or shaking problem?

    Your current pic is due to shutter speed. But diff situation requires diff strategy. Eg. low light situation, your shutter speed can be fast but still it will turn out dark.

    Or another situation you take group photo. You try to focus, but only the centre person's face is clear, the rest all look blurry.

    This is what I meant by knowing the relationship bt shutter speed, ISO and f-stop.

    I think meanwhile, you should take your pictures using the Program mode (P mode in short), shoot in RAW, then adjust for lighting using the software. Until you learn how to take manual setting pictures.

  7. #27

    Default Re: Focus Problem or shaking problem?

    well it is possible to have no handshake blurs at 1/10s or 1/6s and it is also possible to have the entire photo of focus.
    TS do u wear specs?

  8. #28
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,650

    Default Re: Focus Problem or shaking problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by deklan View Post
    well it is possible to have no handshake blurs at 1/10s or 1/6s
    Of course. With a tripod, why not?

  9. #29
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Focus Problem or shaking problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    Of course. With a tripod, why not?
    Dun forget... subject also must not be moving....
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    North Singapore
    Posts
    316

    Default Re: Focus Problem or shaking problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by deklan View Post
    well it is possible to have no handshake blurs at 1/10s or 1/6s and it is also possible to have the entire photo of focus.
    TS do u wear specs?
    Yes, as someone mention to use tripod. and entire focus is not the idea as I wan the focus to be on Baby only with the Bokeh feeling thus open the F @ 1.8....If wan whole picture to be clear then close the hole smaller if I am not wrong.

    Yes I do wear Spec.

  11. #31
    Senior Member dennisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Freezing Upp Thomson/Mandai!
    Posts
    2,008

    Default Re: Focus Problem or shaking problem?

    Just hike up ur ISO. You're using ISO 100, make it 400, if still shakes then 800, 1000, etc thus increasing the shutter. Nothing wrong with your lens, etc. Getting a tripod wouldn't really help due to the slow shutter, the baby would have moved during that time, causing more shakes. I can shoot well in dim hotel environment, etc using high iso. Shutter 1/30 1/40 (I can hold that) 1/80 etc are good.
    Shoot around f2 f2.5, f2.8 up till f4 in dim lighting, anymore I don't think you can hold it. Again if the shutter is too slow, then hike up the iso till you get it.

  12. #32

    Default Re: Focus Problem or shaking problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by Daedalus Trent View Post
    Why spend money on books?

    I learnt bags of stuff from the photography books readily available in the National Library
    ya lor. free @library but some titles cannot find. books on photography always easily over S$50 one. v ex. wonder where can rent?

  13. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    North Singapore
    Posts
    316

    Default Re: Focus Problem or shaking problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by dennisc View Post
    Just hike up ur ISO. You're using ISO 100, make it 400, if still shakes then 800, 1000, etc thus increasing the shutter. Nothing wrong with your lens, etc. Getting a tripod wouldn't really help due to the slow shutter, the baby would have moved during that time, causing more shakes. I can shoot well in dim hotel environment, etc using high iso. Shutter 1/30 1/40 (I can hold that) 1/80 etc are good.
    Shoot around f2 f2.5, f2.8 up till f4 in dim lighting, anymore I don't think you can hold it. Again if the shutter is too slow, then hike up the iso till you get it.
    Jacking up the ISO cause the picture to be Grainy/Noisy.

  14. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: Focus Problem or shaking problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by virus530 View Post
    Jacking up the ISO cause the picture to be Grainy/Noisy.
    Yes, but you need to have some form of high ISO if you want to freeze motion under indoor lighting, which is very dim. Most cameras have very usable ISO up to ISO 800.

    You can't possibly be shooting ISO 100 all the way...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •