Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vignetting effect

Default Re: Vignetting effect

Quote Originally Posted by Nenjia View Post
    it is NOT b'cos spot metering, can affect on the vignetting effect, it affect the light condition, just try spot/center weight/matrix in different light condition, you will see the different, take you cam and try out and read manual!
    I don't really understand what you are writing.

Can affect vignetting effect
    it affect the light condition

?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post

?!?!

I think he means that it's not spot metering that can affect the vignetting effects, but it can affect the lighting condition.

anyway, will try what ever I can later

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post

?!?!

meter affects the light entry the camera fall or over -- try is yourself and read more

try to finf this guy John Hedgecoe THE NEW MANUAL FOR PHOTOGRAPHY

Quote Originally Posted by Nenjia View Post
    meter affects the light entry the camera fall or over -- try is yourself and read more

try to finf this guy John Hedgecoe THE NEW MANUAL FOR PHOTOGRAPHY
    Still curious how this is possible. Maybe we misunderstand something and you could express yourself a bit clearer?
    Let's focus on optical vignetting, no hood, filter or anything else. How can the metering of the camera (something that happens after the light has passed the lens!) cause any vignetting? If this is true then why do all lens reviews give the recommendation of "step down to lower the vignetting effect" instead of "change metering"?

wah, so serious? vignetting is a light effect show on picture, any light not balance on edge and center could be seen as vignetting, so different metering measures different area and decide the light flow in! if center weight or spot, they only measure the point or center's light, when morning/ evening the actual light is not even/balance, it may shows vignetting effect on result. try in moring and evening spot/matrix on A mode, you will see very big shutter speed changed

this does not means spot/center/matrix will always cause the vignetting, the most important thing is you have to understand why has different way to metering, what's the different between them, and what does you want, then you control the metering and light flow in and getting the picture you want!

vignetting is NOT a worse thing, some times we need it, even adding some special filter!

I will stop here, not reply anymore, you may talk to any photographer or find a book to get the answer
    why are theer different ways to metering?
    what's the different between them?

sorry if i have confused you!

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    How can the metering of the camera (something that happens after the light has passed the lens!) cause any vignetting? If this is true then why do all lens reviews give the recommendation of "step down to lower the vignetting effect" instead of "change metering"?
    it is not "the light has passed the lens!" meter will decide how much light will pass the lens, and refer to which area.

"recommendation of "step down to lower the vignetting effect" instead of "change metering"" -- it is b'cos they are talking about in some metering condition, just like what in my first reply -- 3.5 is too big try F8!

just try. if in spot mode, see vignetting, try to switch to matrix, it might be improved -- but no guarantee, depends on light condition you are facing

you can just try it, take more, you will feel it!

I'm sure calebk and Octarine should know the answer... guys, just come out and explain lah, no need for my input

metering mode itself will not remove vignetting if present... it measures the amount of light entering the lens, but cannot control the distribution of light through the lens, nor will it currently (who knows about future tech) affect the imaging sensor's reading of the light... for a given lens, only stopping down the aperture will help to reduce visible vignetting if it is visible to begin with... one could of course also use a centre filter, an ND filter that graduates density from centre to side, or reduce it with post processing, but those are different stories...

*learning new things via reading every posts*

Do hope you can distinguish facts from nonsense and not learning the wrong things.

Quote Originally Posted by ziploc View Post
    Do hope you can distinguish facts from nonsense and not learning the wrong things.
    oh, i do filtering too

Quote Originally Posted by theRBK View Post
    I'm sure calebk and Octarine should know the answer... guys, just come out and explain lah, no need for my input
    Sure, we did already. But for me it doesn't make sense to discuss it further. Nenjia has decided to mix up cause and effect and live with a "lie to children" from a single book where hundreds of other sources tell something different.
    I can understand his point of view .. it's tempting to simplify things. But this inaccuracy doesn't help finally, it's cheating oneself. If there is a new way to overcome vignetting I'm sure the Canons, Nikons and Leicas of this world would be happy to learn about this. But "curing" vignetting with metering is like curing sunburn by putting on sunglasses. The skin rash seems to be gone ...

"lie to children" ?

do you know who is "John Hedgecoe", heheh

looks you are really children!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"where hundreds of other sources tell something different"

in fact no body tells different, just need to understand what is Vignetting first

John Hedgecoe (1937-)
    Artist of 20 portraits
    John Hedgecoe joined Queen magazine as staff photographer straight from art college in 1957. In 1965, he established the Photography Department at the Royal College of Art, where he was Professor of Photography from 1975 to 1994. His photographs have appeared in publications such as Queen, Harper's and Queen, the Observer, The Times and the Sunday Times. He is the author of numerous books including Portraits (2000), which formed the basis of a display at the National Portrait Gallery.

John Hedgecoe (born 1937) is an award-winning photographer and best-selling author of over 30 books on photography. He established the photography department in 1965 at the Royal College of Art, where he was Professor from 19751994 and is currently Professor Emeritus. His photographs appear in permanent collections at the New York Museum of Modern Art and London's National Portrait Gallery.

He has written several Non-Fiction books upon the subject of photography including "John Hedgecoes's Complete Guide To Photography" (1990).

all other books are telling same thing --- what is metering, how they measure the light and how the cameras act!

known is known, unknown is unknown! read and understand are important, copy and remember a word is not!

Instead of listing his merits like a soccer fan listing the CL titles you should copy the relevant chapters of his work. We are still amused and waiting for the final answer:
    How can optical vignetting be removed by using different metering methods.
    Since you cannot come up with any useful explanation I will rest the case here. Go and come with facts, not side-effects (which I do recognize, but that's not the point here).

nothing to say~~~~~~~~~

ksong --- suggest you close the thread!

cool down guys... no doubting John Hedgecoe is a well known writer on photography... but Nenjia, I would recommend that you re-read his explanation about metering and vignetting...

as your post is new, he is NOT talk about metering with vignetting, he is talking about how metering works, all another people talk about something!

so if someone wants to win, I am OK -- I already said if i am mis leading you, i am sorry!

I am wrong, you are right, that will improve you skill on photography/ feel better now?

PicOne wrote:
    > you would think especially with evaluative metering, that if
    > vignetting is less light being read by the sensor, that the
    > exposure value would adjust to some extent, no?

He was using center-point AF, so the evaluative metering took the center as his subject.

The metering sensor doesn't cover the entire image anyway, so it wouldn't pick up the edges.

this from here

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=21730728

and you may also read from here:

http://www.mail-archive.com/pdml@pdml.net/msg35665.html

does anyone know sometimes white balance is also possible to link with vignetting?

people normal do not mention the metering and white balance highly because they know when and where, what to be chosen.

hehe, hope helping you not confusing you!

we are talking about vignetting effect on final result of picture without post processing/filter and hood!

the factor might be F stop, metering and even white balance!

http://www.johnloomis.org/eop601/codev/ldm/cv_ldm6.html

this one more professional, please make sure you understand how metering works first!

--different metering selected different reference ray!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast