Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vignetting effect

Default Vignetting effect

Just wanna know how true is it.
    Vignetting effect (w/o using any filter) can happen on any DSLR body and any lenses. This is what I was told by a technician after I brought my camera for servicing.

I am not talking about the effects that was created on purpose, but just take a photo randomly and you will see it on your photo without any filter or lens hood attached, outdoor or indoor. All modes, all settings.

Thanks!

Default Re: Vignetting effect

need example

Quote Originally Posted by ksong View Post
    Vignetting effect (w/o using any filter) can happen on any DSLR body and any lenses. [...] but just take a photo randomly and you will see it on your photo without any filter or lens hood attached, outdoor or indoor. All modes, all settings.
    That's inaccurate and too generic.
    Read the lens reviews and you will see that vignetting is an effect that occurs on all lenses to a certain degree. Some are very prone to it, some don't show anything that the normal eye would notice. But stepping down the aperture usually helps to reduce it below the level that most people recognize.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vignett...cal_vignetting
    Pick a lens at random and read:
    http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/overview
    http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/
    Last edited by Octarine; 3rd October 2008 at 09:08 AM.

Sorry for the big image, I dont know how to reduce the size here. See all the 4 corners, all are dark.

DSC_0062.jpg
    800 * 535
    NIKON CORPORATION
    NIKON D80
    2008:08:02 17:49:14
    1/4000s
    F3.5
    ISO 250
    F3.5

this is your exif , so try to close aperture 3.5 and 1/4000 is too big and fast lah hehe

in most of case, in middle of aperture will result the best, try F8?

Quote Originally Posted by Nenjia View Post
    DSC_0062.jpg
    800 * 535
    NIKON CORPORATION
    NIKON D80
    1/4000s
    F3.5
    ISO 250
    F3.5

this is your exif , so try to close aperture 3.5 and 1/4000 is too big and fast lah hehe

hi nenjia,

i just curious on how did u manage to get the pic details. can share on the steps?Thank alots

Quote Originally Posted by ahtshun23 View Post
    i just curious on how did u manage to get the pic details. can share on the steps?
    The details are in the exif headers, embedded in the picture. Either you save the picture locally on your hard disk and open with a picture viewer / editor that can show them or you get the plug-ins for your browser (if available). Firefox has at least 2 plug-ins available where you can see the exif header via right-click on the picture.

You'd want to stop down your aperture. Most of the time when your aperture is wide open, you'll see vignetting, especially if the lens is prone to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    The details are in the exif headers, embedded in the picture. Either you save the picture locally on your hard disk and open with a picture viewer / editor that can show them or you get the plug-ins for your browser (if available). Firefox has at least 2 plug-ins available where you can see the exif header via right-click on the picture.

thank you..how about JPEG image?can we view the details as well?

thank you..how about JPEG image?can we view the details as well?
    The image you see above IS a jpeg image.

hi nenjia,

i just curious on how did u manage to get the pic details. can share on the steps?Thank alots
    there are many software can do this Opada/iexif/nEO iMAGING ..... best thing--they are free!

and some adding:

lower ISO slower shutter, and smaller aperture (larger F number) will lead to better image quality

to be exact you are taking about light fall off, that depends on the design of lenses,

mostly Vignetting are cause by using a wrong lens, wrong lens hood or stacking filters.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    to be exact you are taking about light fall off, that depends on the design of lenses,

mostly Vignetting are cause by using a wrong lens, wrong lens hood or stacking filters.

but the threat starter said no filter no hood, and kit lens 18-135

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post

Light fall off = vignetting.

Physical vignetting is caused by wrong lens hood, wrong filter, stacking of filter or using a lens of smaller image circle on a larger format.

Then there is inherent light fall off (also called vignetting) but that is an inherent flaw of the lens. Here we are seeing an inherent flaw of the kit lens, that is when shooting with the kit lens wide open, some vignetting is slightly visible. Note that for smaller image circle lenses, vignetting from lens design tends to be more pronounced because the optical circle is designed for the smaller sensor, whereas with full-frame designed lenses, you are using the sweet center spot of the lens' image circle, so any inherent light fall off is not so easily visible.
    Last edited by calebk; 3rd October 2008 at 12:59 PM.

for this case report, a reason might be the spot metering used, matrix, will be better in above 3 photos

for this case report, a reason might be the spot metering used, matrix, will be better in above 3 photos
    Please explain how metering can affect vignetting. Just curious ...

That's inaccurate and too generic.
    Read the lens reviews and you will see that vignetting is an effect that occurs on all lenses to a certain degree. Some are very prone to it, some don't show anything that the normal eye would notice. But stepping down the aperture usually helps to reduce it below the level that most people recognize.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vignett...cal_vignetting
    Pick a lens at random and read:
    http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/overview
    http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/
    So the technician was right in a way? Thanks for the link, will do some read up.

DSC_0062.jpg
    800 * 535
    NIKON CORPORATION
    NIKON D80
    1/4000s
    F3.5
    ISO 250
    F3.5

Will try on that this weekend, thanks! ^^

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    You'd want to stop down your aperture. Most of the time when your aperture is wide open, you'll see vignetting, especially if the lens is prone to it.
    So my kit lens is prone to having that effect... oh, I had that when using a 70-210mm borrowed from my friend.

and some adding:

lower ISO slower shutter, and smaller aperture (larger F number) will lead to better image quality
    I think I need to read up more, try diff settings...

but the threat starter said no filter no hood, and kit lens 18-135
    Ya, I thought it was because of the 3rd party filter I used... so I removed it, but still having the same 'problem'

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    Light fall off = vignetting.

Physical vignetting is caused by wrong lens hood, wrong filter, stacking of filter or using a lens of smaller image circle on a larger format.

Then there is inherent light fall off (also called vignetting) but that is an inherent flaw of the lens. Here we are seeing an inherent flaw of the kit lens, that is when shooting with the kit lens wide open, some vignetting is slightly visible. Note that for smaller image circle lenses, vignetting from lens design tends to be more pronounced because the optical circle is designed for the smaller sensor, whereas with full-frame designed lenses, you are using the sweet center spot of the lens' image circle, so any inherent light fall off is not so easily visible.
    chim!! I need time to digest all these replies...

Please explain how metering can affect vignetting. Just curious ...
    I wish to know too, someone ever explained to me what is spot metering, but am curious to know how it can affect on the vignetting effect. Thanks!

Thanks all for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by ksong View Post
    chim!! I need time to digest all these replies...

I wish to know too, someone ever explained to me what is spot metering, but am curious to know how it can affect on the vignetting effect. Thanks!

Thanks all for the replies.
    it is NOT b'cos spot metering, can affect on the vignetting effect, it affect the light condition, just try spot/center weight/matrix in different light condition, you will see the different, take you cam and try out and read manual!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast