Thread: Hi, Just Wondering Whats the Difference Between Snapshot and Portrait?

Default Hi, Just Wondering Whats the Difference Between Snapshot and Portrait?

Hi, Just like its mentioned in the title

"Just Wondering Whats the Difference Between Snapshot and Portrait?"
    Is there a difference?
    I see people saying the picture is more of a snapshot than a portrait.
    Is there any pts to consider snapshots and portraits?

thanks a million for enlightening me =)

Cheers

Default Re: Hi, Just Wondering Whats the Difference Between Snapshot and Portrait?

Pretty early to be posting in SG. According to wiki:

Snapshot (photography), a photograph that is taken in a short moment of opportunity
    Portrait, A likeness of a person, especially one showing the face, that is created by a painter or photographer, for example.

Default Re: Hi, Just Wondering Whats the Difference Between Snapshot and Portrait?

This is just a personal opinion.
    Usually portrait will be more artistic, with better control of lighting, and usually more focus on the face and expression. It is considered a plan shot.
    However, there are times when a good snap shot will looks better than a poorly taken portrait. It will be more natural, as the model may not be aware the presense of the photographer.

Blog Entries

try this

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib...ns/DL2960.html

while a snapshot is a shot that is just done by snapping without thinking

Quote Originally Posted by dennisc View Post
    Pretty early to be posting in SG. According to wiki:

Snapshot (photography), a photograph that is taken in a short moment of opportunity
    Portrait, A likeness of a person, especially one showing the face, that is created by a painter or photographer, for example.
    Hi thanks for the prompt reply =)
    yeah kinda early hmmm .. well it could be late coz i was about to go slp =)

Quote Originally Posted by obewan View Post
    This is just a personal opinion.
    Usually portrait will be more artistic, with better control of lighting, and usually more focus on the face and expression. It is considered a plan shot.
    However, there are times when a good snap shot will looks better than a poorly taken portrait. It will be more natural, as the model may not be aware the presense of the photographer.
    Hi thank you too for the prompt reply =)

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    try this

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib...ns/DL2960.html

while a snapshot is a shot that is just done by snapping without thinking
    Hi thanks for the prompt reply and the webbie, i hope it will not only teach me but others as well =)

Quote Originally Posted by Filbertoh View Post
    Hi, Just like its mentioned in the title

"Just Wondering Whats the Difference Between Snapshot and Portrait?"
    Is there a difference?
    I see people saying the picture is more of a snapshot than a portrait.
    Is there any pts to consider snapshots and portraits?

thanks a million for enlightening me =)

Cheers
    Snapshot captures a moment in time of the subject's life.
    Portrait captures the subject's life. How you want to do that? That's up to you. The word portrait comes from the word 'portray'. So it's up to you how you want to do it and want you/your subject wants to get out of it.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 4th October 2008 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Snapshot captures a moment in time of the subject's life.
    Portrait captures the subject's life. How you want to do that? That's up to you. The word portrait comes from the word 'portray'. So it's up to you how you want to do it and want you/your subject wants to get out of it.
    Wow Thanks hmmm got lotsa thinking to do =)
    Many thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Filbertoh View Post
    Wow Thanks hmmm got lotsa thinking to do =)
    Many thanks again.
    Yup.. For example, an architech may want his portrait with a building he designed in the background, a lawyer with his wig and a background of a bookshelf with his case files etc.. One look at the portrait, anyone should be able to tell what the person has gone through and the story he wants to tell others.