Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What a load of bull from SBS!!

Default Re: What a load of bull from SBS!!

What is the point of removing the decal when they have spend our money to upgrade so many bus to what WAB bus? Why are they creating a problem and still want us to pay for it?

took them 6mths to come the reply

well... cannot blame them too much, cos they mention that LTA has not approve their WAB buses on other routes..... so have to wait LTA to approve loh.

Quote Originally Posted by Reno View Post
    well... cannot blame them too much, cos they mention that LTA has not approve their WAB buses on other routes..... so have to wait LTA to approve loh.
    all this merry go round with commuters at the recieving end?

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    all this merry go round with commuters at the recieving end?
    this is how the things work here... what to do?

riccairiccai
    Guests

Thumbs down WHERE'S THE LOGIC? Using 'WAB' buses 4 d able-bodied N using 'non-WAB' 4 d Disabled

WHERE'S THE LOGIC? Using 'WAB' buses to serve the able-bodied and using 'non-WAB' buses to serve the disabled???

Took bus service 7 on 2/12/08 to Dhoby Ghaut, after visiting a friend at
    Gleneagles Hosp.
    Thot I try out the 'WAB' bus service.

BIG MISTAKE.
    [Getting my care giver to push me to Orchard MRT would have been faster
    n 'cooler'.]

WAITED AN HOUR PLUS [with a hot sun shining], for a service 7 'WAB'
    bus. Four service 7 non-WAB buses came within that hour.

While waiting for the 'WAB' bus, THE IRONIC THING IS, OTHER NON-WAB
    SERVICES WERE USING 'WAB' BUSES.

THEN ON THE WAY HOME, I NOTICED THAT THE FEEDER SERVICE [NON-WAB
    SERVICE] WAS ALSO USING 'WAB' BUSES.

WHERE'S THE LOGIC? Using 'WAB' buses to serve the able-bodied and using 'non-WAB' buses to serve the disabled???

BLOODY POOR PLANNING on someone's part, I guess.
    Last edited by riccairiccai; 5th December 2008 at 11:36 PM.

Default Re: WHERE'S THE LOGIC? Using 'WAB' buses 4 d able-bodied N using 'non-WAB' 4 d Disabl

Quote Originally Posted by riccairiccai View Post

Gleneagles Hosp.

BIG MISTAKE.
    n 'cooler'.]

Easiest thing is to scrap the "WAB route" thingy and order all WAB buses to accept people on wheelchairs. Why so much trouble?

makes economic sense to maximise profits.

Default Re: WHERE'S THE LOGIC? Using 'WAB' buses 4 d able-bodied N using 'non-WAB' 4 d Disabl

Gleneagles Hosp.

BIG MISTAKE.
    n 'cooler'.]

Aiyo...komplan here also no use one lah! Send your story to TNP... mabbe it will giv them sometin actually useful to write about.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

riccairiccai
    Guests

just to share share.

posted on CNA Forum and Stomp liao.

This country has a long way to go to learn how to accommodate the physically challenged in the transportation system.

About 20yrs back, when i was in another country, public buses there were equipped with hydraulics to lift up passengers on wheel chair. It is 2008 now and things should be alot more advance in a techo place called Singapore. We are only beginning to plan for it. Yes they made mistakes in the execution; I am sure SBS will improve till it finally works!

Well, at least, the initiative has begun. This marks another stroke on the yardstick of a gracefully aging society.

just to share share.

posted on CNA Forum and Stomp liao.
    cool! Mind sharing the link for the benifit of us who likes to kpo and see how it develops.

riccairiccai
    Guests

'Plucked' d below from HWZ forum.
    http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/sh...8#post34195418

WOW, THERE'S A GREAT REPLY IN THERE.

MY FAULT, MY FAULT, I dint read SBS Transit earlier reply, MY FAULT, MY FAULT.

Dono where to hide my face. LUCKY I just made a pair of 'Transition' lens spectacles.

Extract
    Said Ms Tammy Tan, SBS Transit’s vice president of corporate communications:
    “Although we only have 16 WAB services, we have many more wheelchair—accessible buses that ply the roads on other routes.”

Can SMRT And Other Train Operators Consider This Suggestion
    http://talkback.stomp.com.sg/forums/...ad.php?t=53305
    SBS Transit Using 'WAB' Bus 2 Serve D Able-bodied N 'non-WAB' Bus 2 Serve D Disabled
    http://talkback.stomp.com.sg/forums/...ad.php?t=53287

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by dereklim1985 View Post
    SINGAPORE: The message of the little blue sticker seems obvious: We’re a wheelchair—friendly bus. But, as disabled commuters have found out the hard way, it doesn’t necessarily mean they’re welcome aboard.

Mr Lee Jun Hui, flagged down SBS Service No 57 outside One Raffles Quay three weeks ago. Though the decal declaring it a wheelchair accessible bus (WAB) was displayed on the windscreen, the driver refused to let him on.

“He said he was not authorised to do so. I’d understand if the bus was crowded, but it wasn’t,” said the puzzled 27—year—old, who works as an auditor at KPMG.

To ensure this was no fluke, Mr Lee, in the company of this TODAY reporter, recently tried to board services 128 and 130 at Robinson Road after 6.20pm. The drivers of all four buses were apologetic.

Despite displaying the blue decal, they told him they did not have approval from the Land Transport Authority (LTA) and SBS Transit to ferry wheelchair—users.

Nonetheless, 20 minutes later at Cecil Street, he flagged down service 57. The bus driver got down, laid the ramp on the kerb and wheeled Mr Lee aboard. At Novena, Mr Lee alighted and went the rest of the way home by train — as confused as ever about WAB services.

While there are just 16 official WAB routes, buses on other service routes, such as the three above, do also carry the wheelchair—friendly decal.

“I wished the authorities would be more consistent,” said Mr Lee. “What’s the point of displaying the decal when the bus drivers are not authorised to take users like myself? It gives the wrong impression that there are many more WABs on the roads, when effectively, there aren’t.”

He is not the only one confounded. In June, student Thomas Teo, 19, faced similar rejection by service 14 — in this case, one of the 16 approved WAB routes — at a Lower Delta Road bus stop.

“I was very upset. That experience put me off totally; I prefer to use the MRT,” said Mr Teo.

SBS Transit’s explanation

Their frustrations follow expectations that were heightened when it was announced, earlier this year, that 40 per cent of public buses here would be wheelchair—accessible by 2010, and all of them by 2020.

Recently, SBS Transit revealed it is spending S$147 million on 400 new WABs next year, which would come with low floors, wheelchair lots and retractable ramps at the doors. A quarter of SBS’ 2,800—strong fleet now has such features.

Said Ms Tammy Tan, SBS Transit’s vice president of corporate communications: “Although we only have 16 WAB services, we have many more wheelchair—accessible buses that ply the roads on other routes.”
    She added: “Not all routes can be designated WAB routes because of the infrastructure along the way.”

For one to be so designated, 80 per cent of the bus stops along the route must be wheelchair—friendly, or such passengers would have difficulties getting on, off or around the bus—stop.

For these passengers’ safety, said Ms Tan, “bus captains will not allow them to board if they are not plying wheelchair—accessible routes. This was what happened in the incidents cited by Mr Lee.”

As for the bus captain of Service 57 who allowed him on board, SBS Transit said this was “actually not allowed due to safety reasons and will remind all Bus Captains to comply with guidelines”.

Still, Mr Lee’s point is: If the buses are not on designated WAB routes, why display the wheelchair—friendly sticker in the first place?

SBS Transit said this was “for deployment issues”. It is “reviewing what can be done to distinguish” WABs on designated routes from those that are not.

Introduced in 2006, WAB services are gradually: replacing existing fleets. The LTA said: “These services are rolled out by bus operators based on the available pool of WABs and are subject to scheduling and operational considerations.”

Source - CNA

old news liao.

So troublesome for what? Just make every bus capable of carrying a wheelchair accept such passengers!

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    old news liao.
    My first thought also, but on second thought, that's probably in part why there are no changes despite all the complaints - because they know people will forget and shut up about it after a while.

more like complain oso no use.

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    more like complain oso no use.
    Well it's nearing election time now, so maybe got a bit more hope.

Still, got to salute how they can come up with this out-of-the-box **** idea when the obvious solution would be to increase frequency.

riccairiccai
    Guests

CYRN,

In relation to my case, its not old news.

SBS said has excess WAB buses, but dint deploy them on WAB routes

Can SMRT And Other Train Operators Consider This Suggestion
    http://talkback.stomp.com.sg/forums/...ad.php?t=53305
    SBS Transit Using 'WAB' Bus 2 Serve D Able-bodied N 'non-WAB' Bus 2 Serve D Disabled
    http://talkback.stomp.com.sg/forums/...ad.php?t=53287
    Last edited by riccairiccai; 8th December 2008 at 07:56 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast