Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What a load of bull from SBS!!

Default Re: What a load of bull from SBS!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lingkm82 View Post
    The newer single deck buses can accomodate 2 wheelchair.
    So more seats were taken away...
    WAB thing is just an excuses to reduce the number of seats & making good impression of themselves.
    Sometimes I rather take MRT than bus when thinking that I need to waste time waiting for the bus & having big chances to be standing on all my journey.
    This is just pathetic...
    I would avoid MRT during the perk period, i cannot get into the train all the time, you need to be very kiasu and fast in order to squeeze in.

Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    Why not make is easier, just abolish the stupid "WAB" route rule, and make every bus vehicle capable of carrying a wheelchair to stop whenever they see a wheelchair bound passenger at the bus stop?
    well, in response to this, i think that SBS Transit wants to cover their backside too.
    You cant blame their management (or is it the transport ministry's mandate?) for making such a decision with a nation that is notorious for complains.

imagine a wheelchair user happens to fall off while boarding/alighting at a non WAB route. you can brush it aside as just something part & parcel of public transport, or you can launch an attack party against SBS transit on the public forums, questioning why they caused a wheelchair user to be injured, and why more facilities are not in place to facilitate their usage of public transport. After that some funny board of enquiry from the ministry of transport will be setup to look at this situation and then implement some other forms of safety nets and regulations that will made life even more inconvenient for us and soar the tranport prices etc etc etc

well if the management mandates that wheelchair users cannot board/alight at non-WAB route even with a WAB bus, that pretty much solves the case for them, because I hope SBS has done a nice survey and review before verifying that these busstops are VERY SAFE for wheelchair users. But of course, this way they face another type of complain from us, like in this thread or in that news article.

Either decisions taken by SBS transit will somehow result in some complains, in this situation it appears that they have decided to address the issues of their safety responsiblity (by avoiding it!!), while shutting their eye to public convenience.

Well, treating this as an independent transport issue (even though it is not), is it wrong of SBS Transit to make such a decision? Well i don't really think so, but i felt a more moderate compromise would have been more acceptable.
    Snap snap away!

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    to give an impression we're an inclusive society, when in fact all they really care about is maximising profits.
    wouldn't it be more effective in this sense if all the wheelchair friendly buses were deployed in WAB routes rather than leave them ineffective in non-WAB routes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Reno View Post
    What i can think of WAB buses can ferry more crowds than those single deck bus cos less seats, so more standing place.
    if that's the case, they can very well remove more chairs from regular buses... they have done that in the past...
    Quote Originally Posted by weishengg View Post
    You cant blame their management (or is it the transport ministry's mandate?) for making such a decision with a nation that is notorious for complains.
    if you think Singapore is bad, at least we are not trigger happy with litigation... I doubt in the grand scheme of things that we are a nation of complainers of any significant ranking in the world...
    Well, treating this as an independent transport issue (even though it is not), is it wrong of SBS Transit to make such a decision? Well i don't really think so, but i felt a more moderate compromise would have been more acceptable.
    the solution would have been to remove the decal stating that the bus is wheelchair friendly... so simple, solves the problem entirely... the issue in the original article in the initial post was that the bus was serving a non-WAB route but with a WAB decal... if they remove the decal, then no prob right?... no need to argue, simple enough and cheap solution what... sometimes you really have to wonder...

Quote Originally Posted by theRBK View Post
    wouldn't it be more effective in this sense if all the wheelchair friendly buses were deployed in WAB routes rather than leave them ineffective in non-WAB routes?
    if that's the case, they can very well remove more chairs from regular buses... they have done that in the past...
    if you think Singapore is bad, at least we are not trigger happy with litigation... I doubt in the grand scheme of things that we are a nation of complainers of any significant ranking in the world...
    the solution would have been to remove the decal stating that the bus is wheelchair friendly... so simple, solves the problem entirely... the issue in the original article in the initial post was that the bus was serving a non-WAB route but with a WAB decal... if they remove the decal, then no prob right?... no need to argue, simple enough and cheap solution what... sometimes you really have to wonder...
    you forgot about the elderly... you want them to complain too if you remove every seats?

well, don't mean to get political, but its not really possible to take legal actions for such cases here in singapore, especially against a company like SBS
    Snap snap away!

well, in response to this, i think that SBS Transit wants to cover their backside too.

imagine a wheelchair user happens to fall off while boarding/alighting at a non WAB route. you can brush it aside as just something part & parcel of public transport, or you can launch an attack party against SBS transit on the public forums, questioning why they caused a wheelchair user to be injured, and why more facilities are not in place to facilitate their usage of public transport. After that some funny board of enquiry from the ministry of transport will be setup to look at this situation and then implement some other forms of safety nets and regulations that will made life even more inconvenient for us and soar the tranport prices etc etc etc

well if the management mandates that wheelchair users cannot board/alight at non-WAB route even with a WAB bus, that pretty much solves the case for them, because I hope SBS has done a nice survey and review before verifying that these busstops are VERY SAFE for wheelchair users. But of course, this way they face another type of complain from us, like in this thread or in that news article.

Either decisions taken by SBS transit will somehow result in some complains, in this situation it appears that they have decided to address the issues of their safety responsiblity (by avoiding it!!), while shutting their eye to public convenience.

the other aspect of safety is the human factor. the habit of drivers play the most important part of safety. no amount of safety features of today's vehicles can save a life if there is a rash driver behind the wheel.

speaking on the safety issues, maybe they could be more selective of drivers who are prone to bad driving habits.

like those who:
    . tend to drive in a jerky manner (almost all the way)
    . travel fast only to brake at moment's notice (potential F1 driver? )
    . hog the road (crawling), its safe to go slower but don't overdo it
    . *i will let others conitue if there's more to add...

while i like some alternative views, there is some fundamental flaws as to the way things are currently done. i agree we are a nation notorious for complaining, but you can't blame us if there are legitimate grounds for the complains. notwithstanding complains that were mostly downplayed or ignored.

What kind of crap from SBS Transit is this? People on wheelchairs also must comply to the standard so that their buses can take them? They use our $$$ to install all these crap and yet can't serve their purposes? Give our $$$ back!!!

What they can do is increase bus fares and install all the white elephants!!!
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

I would avoid MRT during the perk period, i cannot get into the train all the time, you need to be very kiasu and fast in order to squeeze in.
    that's why I'm always late for work.
    Objection !!!

why cannot just forget about spending money on those stupid buses, and just donate those money directly to the disabled for them to call a cab? spent so much money on those buses.............. dunno how many taxi rides they could had sponsered.

you forgot about the elderly... you want them to complain too if you remove every seats?
    not all lah... just remove as many chairs as they are already doing for the "wheelchair friendly" buses, but without having to pay for the unused "wheelchair friendlyness"... cheaper right
    well, don't mean to get political, but its not really possible to take legal actions for such cases here in singapore, especially against a company like SBS
    sure we can... they claim to be for-profit publicly listed corporations what...

Quote Originally Posted by ninelives View Post
    that's why I'm always late for work.
    u are too gracious...

u let everybody alight & get in oni to find the door close when u still standing outside!

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    u are too gracious...

u let everybody alight & get in oni to find the door close when u still standing outside!
    i really dont like to squeeze, some people very smelly one, especially the armpit...can faint......
    Objection !!!

The reply from SBS Transit:

Sorry for the confusion

Letter from Tammy Tan
    Vice-president
    Corporate Communications
    SBS Transit

WE REFER to “Wheelchair friendly — but sorry, you can’t board” (Oct 2). SBS Transit
    would like to apologise to all of its wheelchair-bound commuters who have been
    confused by the use of blue Wheelchair-Accessible Bus (WAB) decals on buses
    not running on WAB routes. SBS Transit has taken immediate action to remove
    them to avoid further confusion and will ensure that only WAB-designated Services
    carry the decals from now on.

We were also sorry to learn of the incident where Mr Thomas Teo was denied entry
    on Service 14, and conducted an immediate investigation. We found that the
    incident had taken place on April 14 this year — before Service 14 was declared
    a WAB service. We have since pointed this out to the reporter.

SBS Transit would like to take this opportunity to reiterate our commitment to
    rolling out WAB services as quickly as possible. We realise, however, that we have
    made some mistakes in our roll-out plan and we sincerely apologise for these.
    We will continue to work closely with the voluntary welfare organisations to improve
    our service offerings.

(link)
    [ Flickr ]

if everybody can just walk away easy with that word...

well.... its an honest mistake....

Arrow Re: What a load of bull from SBS!!

Nowadays, it's cheaper to apologise.

“This was a lapse, what to do, it’s happened.”.

maybe they read my post on just removing the decals...

Most simply just order all buses capable of carrying wheelchairs to carry them

maybe they read my post on just removing the decals...
    thatz a good start, then next remove the load of bull....

so if poor cripple-me lives/works in an area where the buses that ply my route aren't wheel chair friendly... I'm pretty much f****d then?

to me this is a thinly veiled disguised attempt in discrimination, blatantly or unknowingly.

what next? rejecting people with seeing eye dogs on board the bus? harassing disabled individuals to quickly alight/disembark and not hold up commuter traffic?

blatant discrimination.
    chicken fight!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast