Thread: Does a TC "reduce" DOF on my digicam?

Default Does a TC "reduce" DOF on my digicam?

Hi all,

i'm just wondering wat happens to my DOF when i stick a TC at the end of my lens (i'm using a cp5700).

eg if i shoot at 35mm at f/2.8, but i stick a 2x teleconvertor on does that mean i get a 70mm at f/2.8? i'm contemplating this since i wanna get more focal length but still keep the aperture as large as possible (either becos of low light, or to decrease DOF)

oh, if u're wondering why i dun just zoom to 70mm at f/2.8 on the cam itself, that's becos when i zoom to that focal length, the aperture will become smaller, maybe to about f/3.3? or something like that..

and.. is it worth it to get a TC for my cam just for these purposes? (i don't really need the extra reach) and if i do, wat fits on a cp5700 besides the TC-E15 which is only 1.5x...?

TIA everyone!

I seriously doubt you can stick a tc to a 5700 and still shoot at full wide.
    You'll get serious vignetting.
    By the way, I'm using the Olympus TCON-17.

Generally, the further you are from your subject (landscape shots), the greater the DOF. The closer you are to your subject (macro shots), DOF diminishes.

TC-E15 give you fixed 420mm & fixed aperture f/4.2 on CP5700, since you'll need a min working distance, hence you'll get sufficient DOF.

Hope I answer your question.

fella: how does it attach? straight onto the URE8?

shutterbug: er.. can u run that thru again? i'm still a little confused..

Quote Originally Posted by jOhO
    fella: how does it attach? straight onto the URE8?

shutterbug: er.. can u run that thru again? i'm still a little confused..
    TC-E15 : attach to URE8 or Bernie's Coolfix adapter
    TCON17 : attach to oem 2-piece adapter with 52mm thread via 52-55 step-up ring, or
    attach to URE8 AND Bernie's URE8 to 55mm adapter, or
    attach to Bernie's Coolfix adapter via 62-55 step-down ring (alternatively 62-58 and 58-55 step-down rings so that you can attach the TCON17 to the TC-E15 for 35 x 8 x 1.5 x 1.7)

Quote Originally Posted by Fella
    TC-E15 : attach to URE8 or Bernie's Coolfix adapter
    TCON17 : attach to oem 2-piece adapter with 52mm thread via 52-55 step-up ring, or
    attach to URE8 AND Bernie's URE8 to 55mm adapter, or
    attach to Bernie's Coolfix adapter via 62-55 step-down ring (alternatively 62-58 and 58-55 step-down rings so that you can attach the TCON17 to the TC-E15 for 35 x 8 x 1.5 x 1.7)

ok.. i'm sorree i asked hahahaha..

and thanx for ur ans too, very informative. i guess i'll prob shelve the idea of a TC for my purposes.

Sorry to confuse you.... try this

Changing the aperture (f-stop) will not have a striking effect on the depth of field for a distant subject or a wide angle (short focal length) lens, it can make a great deal of difference in a close-up or a photo taken using a telephoto or zoom lens.