Thread: Film vs Digital Fees

vince123123
    Guests

Default Film vs Digital Fees

I think this quesiton has been asked before, but i can't seem to find the thread anymore.

anyway the question is....if in the past you have been shooting for this particular client in film. and now the same client wants digital but asks how much you charge for digital....should one charge the same? less? more?

suppose if for e.g. u used to charge $200 fees and $100 for film & developing. now that he asks for digital, do you charge $300 still? or $200? or $250? no. of shots and the event is exactly the same.

any comments?

i say $200 and $100 for developing in CD

Digital should charge more or equal to film. Don't forget that there's post-processing involved.

Regards
    CK

vince123123
    Guests

hmm but how do u justify to the client that it costs same or even more? they would prob be thinking that since ur fees are 200 and now u save on film&devt, it should be 200 or maybe a bit more. if u give the post processing line, they would hten say "its ok we dont need post processing, just give us as is"

the problem would be to explain the difference in costs.
    how?

Quote Originally Posted by ckiang
    Digital should charge more or equal to film. Don't forget that there's post-processing involved.

Regards
    CK

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    hmm but how do u justify to the client that it costs same or even more? they would prob be thinking that since ur fees are 200 and now u save on film&devt, it should be 200 or maybe a bit more. if u give the post processing line, they would hten say "its ok we dont need post processing, just give us as is"

the problem would be to explain the difference in costs.
    how?
    1. You don't need to explain the diff in cost. You show your work, state up front the deliverables, agree on the price, and shoot.

2. The price should be judged by market rate, or thereabouts. The agreed rate give a photog a reasonable profit. i believe the rate should either be the same or go up, bcoz a photog grows in skill and experience with each shoot.

3. The 'digital' cost may not have film and processing, but the sunk costs are much higher. Your digital camera has a limited shutter life, along with wear and tear of the electronics and exterior. You should put a 'cost' on that. Your batteries also get shorter and shorter life cycles with each recharge. Your computer and screen also have capital and wear n tear costs. All these add up.

4. A photographer is selling a *service*, not a set of prints or CDs. Primarily, you are selling your skills and expertise. You are 'perceived' to be at a certain skill level based on how much you charge (and of course the quality of your work). So don't price by cost of materials alone.

Quote Originally Posted by ST1100
    4. A photographer is selling a *service*, not a set of prints or CDs. Primarily, you are selling your skills and expertise. You are 'perceived' to be at a certain skill level based on how much you charge (and of course the quality of your work). So don't price by cost of materials alone.
    ya that is why never ever tell a client that your service fee is $x & actual cost & developing is $y. Always just give a lumpsum & leave it as that. By itemising it, you only give the client more chances to nitpick with you.

vince123123
    Guests

tks lavender and ST1100.

my particular case involves a client which i have been working with for serveral years. in the past years, they wanted prints n negs, and receipts to show the printing cost...so no choice there. This year they wanted to know cost of digital. So...all the lump sum stuffs wont work here. They already know my price previous years and will surely compare based on previous year's fees.

how now brown cow?

tks lavender and ST1100.

my particular case involves a client which i have been working with for serveral years. in the past years, they wanted prints n negs, and receipts to show the printing cost...so no choice there. This year they wanted to know cost of digital. So...all the lump sum stuffs wont work here. They already know my price previous years and will surely compare based on previous year's fees.

how now brown cow?
    Tell them that digital requires a lot more time and effort due to post processing. Take whatever is deducted from the "cost" side and add it to the "service charge" side.

tks lavender and ST1100.

how now brown cow?
    Ask your lab to markup?

Regards
    CK

vince123123
    Guests

yah lor thats why i said what if they say "no need to post process, just give us as is"

layman always think digital is same as photos ...

Quote Originally Posted by Zerstorer
    Tell them that digital requires a lot more time and effort due to post processing. Take whatever is deducted from the "cost" side and add it to the "service charge" side.

sound out the client more lah. why do they say no need to post-process? they got printer/designer to do all the hard work of tweaking pics for them? or do they perceive that as a possible cost item?

maybe what you could do is to get them to look at you do the post-process to see how much work is done. then again, that may be an invitation for them to direct your post-processing.

what could be the client's point of view? i'd guess he wants to save some money + possibly time if he's expecting a quicker turnaround.

get a good lab whose judgements you trust enough to do tweaking to your pics for you. after all, in your film and prints days, your lab operator has been doing that for you. unless you are pretty sure you can do a better job at that than the lab... and tell your clients where are the good places to do digital reprints.

then again, if your client decides to use your digital files for printing, publishing, then that's another question. they would reasonably expect ready-to-use pics, so you have to convince them why the post-processing is needed.

vince123123
    Guests

perhaps. but as i said, most laymen will not undersatnd why digital need to post process and film no need...i guess they want pictures ready out of the box and will question any additional costs.

that said i will propose a quot to the client and see what they say

Quote Originally Posted by igpenguin
    sound out the client more lah. why do they say no need to post-process? they got printer/designer to do all the hard work of tweaking pics for them? or do they perceive that as a possible cost item?

maybe what you could do is to get them to look at you do the post-process to see how much work is done. then again, that may be an invitation for them to direct your post-processing.

what could be the client's point of view? i'd guess he wants to save some money + possibly time if he's expecting a quicker turnaround.

get a good lab whose judgements you trust enough to do tweaking to your pics for you. after all, in your film and prints days, your lab operator has been doing that for you. unless you are pretty sure you can do a better job at that than the lab... and tell your clients where are the good places to do digital reprints.

then again, if your client decides to use your digital files for printing, publishing, then that's another question. they would reasonably expect ready-to-use pics, so you have to convince them why the post-processing is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by ST1100
    1. You don't need to explain the diff in cost. You show your work, state up front the deliverables, agree on the price, and shoot.

2. The price should be judged by market rate, or thereabouts. The agreed rate give a photog a reasonable profit. i believe the rate should either be the same or go up, bcoz a photog grows in skill and experience with each shoot.

3. The 'digital' cost may not have film and processing, but the sunk costs are much higher. Your digital camera has a limited shutter life, along with wear and tear of the electronics and exterior. You should put a 'cost' on that. Your batteries also get shorter and shorter life cycles with each recharge. Your computer and screen also have capital and wear n tear costs. All these add up.

Full concur!

Go the capital way. Tell them digital cameras cost about 5 times what film cameras cost and that digital cameras become obsolete 5 times faster. In theory you really should be charging them 5 times more than what you used to, but because they're old and valuable clients, you'll charge them the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Jed
    Go the capital way. Tell them digital cameras cost about 5 times what film cameras cost and that digital cameras become obsolete 5 times faster. In theory you really should be charging them 5 times more than what you used to, but because they're old and valuable clients, you'll charge them the same.

good one..