Thread: How to reduce noise using PS CS3?

Default How to reduce noise using PS CS3?

HI, i am new to digital darkroom. Am trying to reduce the noise as i shot my picture in Hi-L ( I think ISO 6400 using Nikon D300). I went to filters> noise> Noice reduction but the effect seems marginal. Am i expecting too much?

See below for original picture before Noise Reduction. Any advice would be appreciated. (grey graduation from the bottom is because picture was shot through the fence).

Don't brag about your accomplishments; Show us your future works.

Default Re: How to reduce noise using PS CS3?

Don't think Photoshop can do the level of noise reduction you're expecting out of the box. You should consider getting either Noise Ninja or Noiseware.

BTW, that's a nice shot you have there!

:Later,

i have done up a version of whereby noise is removed using noiseninja
    hope this help..
    Let me know if you want me to take it down

[QUOTE=chrisljh;4396772]i have done up a version of whereby noise is removed using noiseninja
    hope this help..
    Let me know if you want me to take it down [QUOTE]

Thanks Chrisljh !

Photoshop skills is something i really need to learn... Thanks. Its ok to leave it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinoy View Post
    Don't think Photoshop can do the level of noise reduction you're expecting out of the box. You should consider getting either Noise Ninja or Noiseware.

BTW, that's a nice shot you have there!

:Later,
    Thanks. Will explore NoiseNinja and see if it works for the shots. Thanks for the recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by JacePhoto View Post
    HI, i am new to digital darkroom. Am trying to reduce the noise as i shot my picture in Hi-L ( I think ISO 6400 using Nikon D300). I went to filters> noise> Noice reduction but the effect seems marginal. Am i expecting too much?

See below for original picture before Noise Reduction. Any advice would be appreciated. (grey graduation from the bottom is because picture was shot through the fence).
    You can adjust the level of noise reduction in CS3. The default settings may be too weak for your shots.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisljh View Post
    i have done up a version of whereby noise is removed using noiseninja
    hope this help..
    Let me know if you want me to take it down

Neat Image is another software you can use. Putting it up for side by side comparison.

../azul123

Neatimage seems to do a better job.

azul123 is the neat image a new version or have they gotten a new engine to remove noise. I did compare neat image and noiseninja some time ago but noise ninja seems to be able to remove the noise better. However looking at the one that you post, seems like i should move to neat image.

Maybe it only me but by comparing the 2 images above, the one done with neat image is cleaner but some details are lost. eg, the wording "ING" on Alonso's helmet is sharper on the Noise Ninja version than the Neat Image version.

Here's my try using Noise Ninja (CS3 plugin version) using a combo of selective noise reduction

Last edited by DeSwitch; 1st October 2008 at 11:33 PM.

this one pretty good/neat.

so there a downloadable noise ninja plugin for cs3?

My try at NoiseNinja, might wanna try out the "Profile Chart" option besides the "Profile Image" option, might give a better noise reduction (although at the expense of loss of detail). You could layer a few layers and do selective noise reduction by quick-masking the layers to form the final image.

Picture by JacePhoto
    Last edited by Override2Zion; 2nd October 2008 at 05:27 AM.
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

Quote Originally Posted by Revad3 View Post
    this one pretty good/neat.

so there a downloadable noise ninja plugin for cs3?
    Yes there is (mine was for my previous CS2 vesion) but its not free but not expensive though.

Quote Originally Posted by Override2Zion View Post
    My try at NoiseNinja, might wanna try out the "Profile Chart" option besides the "Profile Image" option, might give a better noise reduction (although at the expense of loss of detail). You could layer a few layers and do selective noise reduction by quick-masking the layers to form the final image.

Picture by JacePhoto
    Bro, thats what I did, layers and do selective noise reduction. I even darken the lower part caused by the fence at the final stage so as to make the photo nicer.

wow guys... you are very good!

Learning something new again! Thanks for sharing!

I tried Photoshop noise tools and didn't have much luck, so had a go with Noiseware. That's quite a bit better than PS for noise reduction. There are other tricks you can use here:

• Open a levels adjustment layer, close it without making any adjustment, and change blend mode to soft light. Hit Ctrl-I to invert the mask, then paint with white where you want to cut down the haze (mostly at lower left).
    • If you really want to get picky, use the smudge tool to clean up noise around edges and in small areas where heavy noise reduction might blur details.

Here's my result, and below that a 200% crop of the worst area, the lower left.

just a word of general advise re: the image... might want to sharpen the helmet a bit more... cause compared to the nose of the car as well as the air intake behind the driver, the helmet looks slightly blur

and some of the images other parts of the car are over sharpened to the point of jaggedness
    Last edited by theRBK; 2nd October 2008 at 12:28 PM.

[QUOTE=Peano;4402923]I tried Photoshop noise tools and didn't have much luck, so had a go with Noiseware. That's quite a bit better than PS for noise reduction. There are other tricks you can use here:

• Open a levels adjustment layer, close it without making any adjustment, and change blend mode to soft light. Hit Ctrl-I to invert the mask, then paint with white where you want to cut down the haze (mostly at lower left).
    • If you really want to get picky, use the smudge tool to clean up noise around edges and in small areas where heavy noise reduction might blur details.

Here's my result, and below that a 200% crop of the worst area, the lower left.[QUOTE]

Wow, great work!