Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456710 ... LastLast

Thread: Electricity bills up 21%

Default Re: Electricity bills up 21%

Quote Originally Posted by creampuff View Post
    Warped logic?

1) We're now paying the price for being the first country to have a Formula One night race.
    After all, all those 1,500 or so special lamps to illuminate the race track must consume uber large amount of electricity.

2) The proliferation of ever more ERP gantries must mean more electricity consumption, as is the new underground KPE.

Somebody's got to foot the bill.
    So this is Singapore Power's way to share the cost for the whole population.
    the 1,500 lights not only illuminate the track during the night... they illuminate the track during the day too. OMG... that's wasteful

no wonder now they want to reclaim what's lost... damn those buggers!!!
    Mythbusters - the bigger the explosion, the better it is.

imagine what those overseas MNC based in Singapore, with such increase, they may plan to move out of Singapore soon.

Tomorrow prepare to expect price of food at food courts and coffee shop to increase.

With new prices, comes new challenges to go green. There are plenty of opportunity to reduce electricity. We should review our habits and find ways to reduce consumption.

However, Reno had pointed out correctly. While the rebates were given out to the lower income families, commercial entities may not be so lucky. And to maintain a certain level of gross profit, the rising costs will ultimately passed down to the consumers. And the inflation for the next 2 months will remain high.

wonder what's the use of Public Transport Council,etc ? All these public regulatory boards when all kinds of damn increments will be PASSED by them? They are all set up just to say YES whether there;s justification or not esp transport n utility increase.
    See la,this what happens when there's too much 'concentration' of power in ONE place!

Quote Originally Posted by goon View Post
    wonder what's the use of Public Transport Council,etc ? All these public regulatory boards when all kinds of damn increments will be PASSED by them? They are all set up just to say YES whether there;s justification or not esp transport n utility increase.
    See la,this what happens when there's too much 'concentration' of power in ONE place!
    I hope you are not my clone, and I am not your clone...

Oh ya,the starting pay for POLY grads are btwn S$ 1.6-1.8K n these have not changed for more than a decade while the cost of living has gone up by like dunno how many percent!
    Totally unbalanced!

Oh ya,the starting pay for POLY grads are btwn S$ 1.6-1.8K n these have not changed for more than a decade while the cost of living has gone up by like dunno how many percent!
    Totally unbalanced!

er..?

Which "SCHOLAR" uses oil futures at $150 to charge for tarriffs? Sheesh... November crudes are trading at about 99 per barrel. Does this mean our tarriffs are being revised? It's just like the taxi 30cents. It's going to stick regardless.
    Nikon D700,50mm f1.8, 14-24 f2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-300 f4-5.6

as for commercial entities, well, next time go shopping see wad type of "energy efficient" lightings is used!

how does "a few" clusters of 50W x 3 halogen in a small store sound? thats just small stores to begin with....

thatz excluding other forms of lighting, HID, CFLs....

Totally unbalanced!
    Sad to say, some jobs only pay 1.5k only, depending on the occupation.
    Let's get rolling :)

There is a an elderly lady (still alive) who went on strike after all the inflation made her poorer.

She lives alone in a small hdb appt. Her utilities used to be very little. But given she is old and poor, she started a plan to cut cost.

She stop using the utilities at home. Then, PUB continued to bill her for months with the last seen reading. The meter did not move an inch. PUB changed her meters more than 3 times just in case the meter went faulty. Officers were sent down to investigate for any form of tampering. None was found, yet they still kept billing her based on the number of units last used.

The truth was, she brings down a big bucket and fetch home water from downstairs daily. She does not use gas, she used other means to cook. she has no fridge, no tv, no bulb.

Her life was simple, yet she was being doubted. Well of course, she refused to pay her bill too! Obviously, her utilities are all chopped and she didnt bother as she had found a way to live without depending on the little luxuries in life.

In life, there is no fairness. Just when we think we did our best, it can turn out to be worse.

Singapore Power ah! mua-hahaa....

Quote Originally Posted by contaxable View Post
    There is a an elderly lady (still alive) who went on strike after all the inflation made her poorer.

She lives alone in a small hdb appt. Her utilities used to be very little. But given she is old and poor, she started a plan to cut cost.

She stop using the utilities at home. Then, PUB continued to bill her for months with the last seen reading. The meter did not move an inch. PUB changed her meters more than 3 times just in case the meter went faulty. Officers were sent down to investigate for any form of tampering. None was found, yet they still kept billing her based on the number of units last used.

The truth was, she brings down a big bucket and fetch home water from downstairs daily. She does not use gas, she used other means to cook. she has no fridge, no tv, no bulb.

Her life was simple, yet she was being doubted. Well of course, she refused to pay her bill too! Obviously, her utilities are all chopped and she didnt bother as she had found a way to live without depending on the little luxuries in life.

In life, there is no fairness. Just when we think we did our best, it can turn out to be worse.
    somewhere down the road, there seems to me, humanity and kindness are missing from the big co. it is so sad but such is life!
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

Don't know, man. It seems crazy. The oil/petrol increased was, like a couple of months ago, and nothing happened. Just when the oil/petrol decreased and it seemed that we are in better times, this happens. But to derive at the 21% figure, I don't know how they come about it.

Utilities bill increases, fare increases, food price icreases. Don't know what they will think to increase next.

Those Big Shots up there are sure true followers of Newton's Law of Motion - 'For Every Action (organising of Mega Events, i.e. F1, Youth Olympic,), there is an Equal (behemoth expenditure and spending) and Opposite Reactions (making us, the commoners, chipped in to foot the Bill).
    'I'm A Nobody, And Nobody's Perfect, So Am I Perfect?'

Quote Originally Posted by contaxable View Post
    Good question. Remember, they do not owe us an answer as they already named themselves as our authority. Trust and obey as they is no other way.
    is it like putting 2 boxers and a referee from the same clan in a ring. they sure win either way!!

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...379056/1/.html

SINGAPORE: Singaporeans will see an increase of 21 per cent in their electricity bills in the last quarter of this year.

The average electricity tariffs from October to December would go up by 5.38 cents per kilowatt per hour. The Energy Market Authority (EMA) said the increase is due to higher fuel oil prices.

For the last quarter of this year, oil prices were nearly S$155 per barrel, 38 per cent more than the third quarter.

So average monthly electricity bills look set to rise by S$5.70 to S$22.92 for those living in one- to five-room public housing flats.

For those living in the one- to three-room flats, this works out to an increase of between S$90 and S$223 in electricity bills for this year.

"I am jobless, so burden for me also," one individual said.

"Even though I don't pay the bill, my son does so I still feel the pinch for him," said another.

Seah Choon Seng, executive director, Consumers Association of Singapore, said: "The 20 per cent adjustment in tariff price is quite hefty for consumers to bear and I suppose one of those very high adjustments we see in many years. We feel that the companies involved in the utilities business should work harder in improving their efficiency to bring down the costs for consumers."

The EMA said the government's U-save rebates of S$310 to S$330 to help offset increases in utilities bills is more than enough to cover this year's electricity price increase for one-, two- and three-room HDB flats.

For four-room HDB households, the increase to the bill size for this year would be marginally higher than the U-save rebate given. These homes received S$295 in U-save rebates. But the total bill size for 2008 is estimated at S$316.

The EMA feels there is more room for Singaporeans to conserve and use less energy. That's because the EMA's surveys and findings show that nearly 40 per cent of Singapore homes are using more energy than they require to. And the air conditioner is one of the largest energy guzzlers in homes here.

Khoo Chin Hean, chief executive, EMA, said: "There is a lot of use which can be curtailed. There is probably quite a bit of wasteful usage. It is this kind of usage we can be more mindful of and take measures to manage our consumption."

The authority said if the forward fuel prices come down next month, the electricity tariff from January to March 2009 will be reduced accordingly. - CNA/vm

Anyone knows why Q4 oil prices are reported in the past tense? The report was written in Sep i.e. in Q3!

I hope from now on it rains every night so that all of us no need to turn on the air-con to sleep.

Deregistered

those who have planned ur retirement finances need to review again. by judging how things go it ain't going to be enough at all.

Quote Originally Posted by spindoctor View Post
    Anyone knows why Q4 oil prices are reported in the past tense? The report was written in Sep i.e. in Q3!
    Very simple, the MIW has passed the Bill. Everything is finalised, therefore, they used past tense. And they expect us to move on with our lives after making some routine grumbles.

Why complain now when you asked for Pay And Pay in May the 6, 2006?

More reasons for SMRT to increase price again.
    Look at how the Republic Poly is air conditioned. Parents need to prepare themsleve for more fee hike.

Bery Good

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456710 ... LastLast